The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Cantina Di Venosa "Aglianico del Vulture"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

WTN: 1999 Cantina Di Venosa "Aglianico del Vulture"

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:50 pm

This is varietal I had not tried before. The initial nose shows a strong alcohol character...that blows off. Afterwards its dried cherry with lots of tobacco leaf. Hints of cedar and chocolate linger in the background.

On the palate its a medium bodied wine with juicy fruit up front. By mid palate its starting to dry out. A few seconds after a medium length finish...its quite possibly the driest red wine I have ever tasted. The tannins are downright fierce. May as well have licked a piece of hot slate on the desert floor.

Not, technically (at least for me) a bad thing. I found it intriguing. At 12.00 / bottle , its' worth purchasing again. But I'll have to drink it by myself...cause Dina won't touch it again.

Richard
no avatar
User

Doug House

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:56 am

Arlington, VA

Re: TN: 1999 Cantina Di Venosa "Aglianico del Vulture"

by Doug House » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 pm

I find Aglianico to be really intriguing, although I'm not yet as convinced as some others that it will someday be considered on par with Nebbiolo or Sangiovese as a great Italian red grape. FWIW, this is the lower-end wine of a co-op in Vulture. They also make a slightly higher-end (about $5 per bottle more) cuvee called Carato Venusio Aglianico del Vulture that is a bit richer and sees some new oak. I've enjoyed both, especially the 2001 versions.

In general, I find most Aglianicos available in the US at <$20 to be reasonably interesting and fun. The tannins can be pretty fierce, but the dark, tarry, fruit is really a delight! And, I'm told they age very well, although I've not yet tried that out myself.

Doug
Doug House
ITB - http://www.finewine.com
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:26 am

Yep fierce tannins seem to be very much part of the varietal make-up and drying they most certainly are.

I keep meaning to seek out an old bottle of Taurasi (15-20 years old) to try, or at least to buy a good bottle and lose it in the cellar. Maybe the tannins will always outweigh the fruit, but I'd love to give it a go. I saw a 1990 Taurasi recently, but to buy it would have meant missing out on an aged bottle of Barolo. There's sacrifices and then there's SACRIFICES :lol:
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:37 am

Cantina Di Venosa "Aglianico del Vulture"

Although Aglianico del Vulture is the only DOC in Basilicata it is really a too large area. The good area is around the two towns of Barile and Rionero west in the zone where the hilly mountains with old vulcanic soil is perfect for aglianico. But the area stretches quite far east and around Venosa it flattens out. The wines from this area can never achieve the same quality. The best are uncomplicated everyday food-wines. Such as those from Cantina di Venosa.

Try find an example from preferrably d'Angelo. Or Tenuta del Portale or Paternoster (a bit modern). I think you will have a better experience.
no avatar
User

Doug House

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:56 am

Arlington, VA

by Doug House » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:33 pm

Try find an example from preferrably d'Angelo. Or Tenuta del Portale or Paternoster

On the Tenuta del Portale wines, I've liked the Normale more than the (slightly) more expensive Riserva. The 1999 Riserva saw too much time in wood, I think, and has been pretty dried out and tired the last couple of times I've had it. The Normale is more fresh and vibrant.

Doug
Doug House
ITB - http://www.finewine.com
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:26 pm

Agree that Tenuta del Portale is a fine producer. I've enjoyed both the AdV normale and the lower priced "Starsa" Basilicata IGT. But I have to say I consistently find Aglianico from Campania (not just Taurasi) more interesting.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !