The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent Wines...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

WTN: Recent Wines...

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:03 pm

Up to DC this past weekend to visit my daughter and watch her run in the Marine Corps Marathon. She immediately put me on a somewhat eclectic store close to her apartment on Capitol Hill (Snyder's on Mass. Ave.)
Already in her fridge was the Dom. des Cassagnoles '05 VdP des Cotes de Gascogne. Bright and clear with crisp acidity, white peach and some minerality, this was refreshing and impressive, my guess would be Ugni Blanc, but I'm not sure. Don't know the price, but probably less than $10, good value and interesting. (88pts) Importer: Weygandt-Metzler
Perhaps the most compelling wine of the week-end was the Dom. du Colombier '05 Petit Chablis. With just a little air this came across like a Premier Cru from '01. Sharp and on point with precise minerality and a nice flintiness, just what you look for in Chablis. Well Done! (91 pts) Importer: Alain Blanchon
At dinner at "Les Halles" on Penn. Ave. we started with the '05 Cht. de Chantegrieve Bdx Blanc, Grave and it was very nice with the salads and pates. Again another precise wine, with "crisp citrus(grapefruit & lemon), some grass and a touch of oak made this a perfect apperitif. (89 pts)
The main courses were mostly beef so I opted for a Bdx and the '00 Les Chevalliers du Rauzan-Gassies, Margaux which I assume is the 2nd from Gassies. This was just what a 2nd is supposed to be, early drinking twin of the big brother. Would buy again if afforded the opportunity. We decanted this wine for about 20 min. and were presented with calssic Bdx, soft tannins, nice black fruit, w/cassis, cedar and smoke. Good length and finish. again, a well done second! (90 pts.)
Back home to reality, we did our own cooking (salmon w/potatoes and brocholli) and had an '02 Champy Beaune 1er Cru "Champs Pimont". this wine seemed to struggle to make its bid, and came close. It was very nice with the fish and had its moments with raspberry, earth and leather on the nose. (88 pts) Brad Lewis Selection
And finally last night as we assume our roles of everyman, I made spaghetti and served it with a low-end favorite the '03 Toscolo Chianti. This is one of the better wine values out of Tuscany. Moderate alcohol (12%) and most of the compulsory Chianti values, works well with pasta. (87 pts.) Importer: Empson(USA), Alexandria, VA
Great weekend in DC and my daughter did finish!!
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: Recent Wines...

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:32 am

Congrats to your daughter, Richard, and thanks for the notes. Points on the "second" Margaux well taken. BTW, If I'm not mistaken, a poster on the old WLDG (Jon Peterson, I think) also sang the praises of Snyder's as a D.C. retailer.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Recent Wines...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:44 am

Toscolo? Lots of bottle variation up here.