The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Gluttony, Red Wine and Long Life -- or so says "Nature".

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Gluttony, Red Wine and Long Life -- or so says "Nature".

by Bob Ross » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:44 pm

Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on a high-calorie diet.

Summary:

Resveratrol (3,5,4'-trihydroxystilbene) extends the lifespan of diverse species including Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Caenorhabditis elegans and Drosophila melanogaster. In these organisms, lifespan extension is dependent on Sir2, a conserved deacetylase proposed to underlie the beneficial effects of caloric restriction. Here we show that resveratrol shifts the physiology of middle-aged mice on a high-calorie diet towards that of mice on a standard diet and significantly increases their survival. Resveratrol produces changes associated with longer lifespan, including increased insulin sensitivity, reduced insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-I) levels, increased AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor- coactivator 1 (PGC-1) activity, increased mitochondrial number, and improved motor function. Parametric analysis of gene set enrichment revealed that resveratrol opposed the effects of the high-calorie diet in 144 out of 153 significantly altered pathways. These data show that improving general health in mammals using small molecules is an attainable goal, and point to new approaches for treating obesity-related disorders and diseases of ageing. [/url][/b]
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Gluttony, Red Wine and Long Life -- or so says "Nature".

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:37 am

I saw a writeup on that study today. Apparently, obese mice that were given resveratrol were as healthy and long-lived as their skinnier, non-resveratrol-dosed control group.

My understanding was that the dose of resveratrol was the equivalent of something like 100 bottles of wine per day. Better drink up!!! :D

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:13 am

1 down, 99 to go ...
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:33 am

The New York Times sets the bar [as it were] even higher:

The mice were fed a hefty dose of resveratrol, 24 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Red wine has about 1.5 to 3 milligrams of resveratrol per liter, so a 150-lb person would need to drink 750 to 1,500 bottles of red wine a day to get such a dose.

New York Times; free registration required.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Bob Ross wrote:The New York Times sets the bar [as it were] even higher:

The mice were fed a hefty dose of resveratrol, 24 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Red wine has about 1.5 to 3 milligrams of resveratrol per liter, so a 150-lb person would need to drink 750 to 1,500 bottles of red wine a day to get such a dose.

New York Times; free registration required.

...but we are talking FAT mice here, so giving figures for 150 pound winos has no significance. For this fat mouse, I figure I need to consume 1,333 of 2 milligram resveratrol per liter of wine to get the same health benefits.
-OW
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:07 pm

Sounds as though I need about 2000 bottles.

I'd better get started!