The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Is there a polite way...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

Is there a polite way...

by Jeff Yeast » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:21 am

of describing cat urine in a sauvignon blanc without turning people off? I have been told that "gooseberry" is a similar descriptor, but I don't think I've ever tasted a gooseberry so I'm not sure.

As with the bell pepper thread, I am trying to calibrate my tastes with others far more experienced with wine than myself. Is cat urine in sav blanc considered a positive or a negative? I like it a lot, but them I'm very territorial :lol:
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Is there a polite way...

by JC (NC) » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 am

I feel free now to describe it as cat's pee but you could say an ammonia smell. I like a little of the cat's pee smell in Sauvignon Blanc--it all comes down to balance. I've had gooseberry jam and also bought canned gooseberries to see what the aroma and taste are but find the cat's urine a closer descriptor to what I'm smelling in some SB.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:13 am

I've never met a gooseberry, so I, like JC, use the cat pee descriptor, which I find both accurate and unappealing. I don't like even a little bit of it in my wine, one of the reasons I stay away from SB.
-OW
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:19 am

Too bad there is a word similar to the "barnyard" term we use to descibe the characteristic in red wines usually from the Rhone. Using the term "bovine defecation" would certainly be a turnoff, though I have seen the aroma alone turn people off.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:36 am

Jeff Yeast wrote:of describing cat urine in a sauvignon blanc without turning people off? I have been told that "gooseberry" is a similar descriptor, but I don't think I've ever tasted a gooseberry so I'm not sure.

Are we to infer from that that you HAVE tasted cat's pee? Oh my!

ImageImage
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:39 am

Some people use "boxwood." Not sure it's got quite the same sharpness, but it might work for polite company. For me, the word "pee" at least beats a couple of the alternatives.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am

Jeff Yeast wrote:of describing cat urine in a sauvignon blanc without turning people off? I have been told that "gooseberry" is a similar descriptor, but I don't think I've ever tasted a gooseberry so I'm not sure.

Jeff, "boxwood" is actually a decent option, assuming that folks know what boxwood is. I've often wandered past a boxwood hedge and thought, "Dang, there are cats around here!" (There used to be, and maybe still is, an indoor boxwood hedge in a Metropolitan Museum of Art sculpture garden that used to amuse me.) I assume that the active aromatic in boxwood is chemically related to the similar character in Sauvignon Blanc, it's that close.

I'm not sure what "gooseberry" is either, and more to the point, I suspect that the North American gooseberry is a completely different fruit from the New Zealand model. But "boxwood" is fine, and actually probably a more accurate descriptor than cat p!$$ because, although similar, it's more leafy and herbaceous.

Ammonia I don't get at all, sorry, JC.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:02 am

Jeff, I love questions like this because they provoke wine lovers to stop and think about how certain aromas, normally considered unpleasant in everyday life, actually take on a laudable, noble aura when found in wine - e.g. barnyard, poop, petrol, diesel, cat's pee, tar, etc.

What's doubly interesting is that most of the above aromas have gained acceptance in wine circles, while others - mainly those specific to the non-vinifera realm - have yet to be gain full equality. It's a double standard, but what can you do.

As for your specific question, boxwood was going to be my answer, but I see that others came to it first.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:27 am

Robin said:
I'm not sure what "gooseberry" is either, and more to the point, I suspect that the North American gooseberry is a completely different fruit from the New Zealand model.

Robin, in this case I think they would be alike if you're referring to the fruit itself. When I lived in England, I had a gooseberry plant in my yard. The gooseberries I've tasted on this side of the pond are identical. which makes it safer to assume that the New Zealand model would also be identical. At least, the green ones. There are red gooseberries, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:51 am

Jenise wrote:When I lived in England, I had a gooseberry plant in my yard. The gooseberries I've tasted on this side of the pond are identical. which makes it safer to assume that the New Zealand model would also be identical. At least, the green ones. There are red gooseberries, too.

Probably so, then ... I was thinking, though, somewhere in the back of my head is a faintly remembered factoid that the fruit sold in the US as kiwi is sold in NZ as "Chinese gooseberry."

Let's see here ... yep, according to Wikipedia,
<i>The fruit gets its name from a marketing strategy, naming it after the kiwi, the national bird of New Zealand, where the fruit was first commercially popularised in 1959 by the New Zealand fruit-and-vegetable export company Turners and Growers; previously it was known as the Chinese gooseberry, but due to the Cold War, the Chinese label seemed unfit for popularization of the fruit in Western countries. Growers gradually adopted the name and in 1974 the kiwifruit became the official trade name.</i>

Now, a kiwi smells nothing like Sauvignon Blanc to me, although I suspect that blindfolded you'd be hard pressed to tell one from an underripe strawberry.

But I digress ... did your gooseberries smell anything remotely like cat p!$$ or boxwood?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:07 pm

Boxwood is close to exact in my book. I have it all around my place and it does smell like cat's pee, and it is supposed to keep chipmunks at bay--it doesn't, but neither did my cat with her real pee.

Boxwood is the one to go with...

As for that kiwi fruit, Robin. I've always thought it not smells but tastes a lot like a grape.

So, Sauvignon Blanc smells like cat urine or a plant and kiwi fruit tastes like a grape. It's no wonder novices are scared off the subject of wine...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:40 pm

Mais oui -- pipi de chat.

Sounds more cultured, don't you think?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:45 pm

Jancis Robinson quotes the classic tasting note for sauvignon blanc as "cat's pee on a gooseberry bush", meaning that the wine has that characteristic pungent aroma of cat's pee, and the very tart taste of gooseberries.

I own two cats, and I find it an excellent description of the aroma of some sauv. blancs. "Hay infusion" is a good description of the aroma of some others.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Now, a kiwi smells nothing like Sauvignon Blanc to me, although I suspect that blindfolded you'd be hard pressed to tell one from an underripe strawberry.

But I digress ... did your gooseberries smell anything remotely like cat p!$$ or boxwood?

Chinese gooseberries (aka Kiwi fruit) bear as much resemblence to the European gooseberry as Jerusalem artichokes do to regular artichokes. Not at all alike.

European gooseberries are oval, yellow fruits about the size of a Thompson's Seeless grape. The few times I've had them, I don't recall any particular aroma--certainly nothing like cat's pee. But they do have a very tart flavor, and that's where the resemblance to sauvignon blanc comes in.

The more acidic end of the sauvignon blanc spectrum tends to smell of cat's pee and taste of gooseberries. The overripe end tends to smell grassy and not taste of much of anything.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:24 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Chinese gooseberries (aka Kiwi fruit) bear as much resemblence to the European gooseberry as Jerusalem artichokes do to regular artichokes. Not at all alike.

Right, that's what I said. ;)

I do think "boxwood" is the most accurate descriptor for the <i>aroma</i>, but it presumes that one's reader/listener knows what boxwood is and what it smells like.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:33 pm

I love gooseberries, and they taste just like SB. I guess 'chinese gooseberries' got their name because they also are oval green and hairy, but there is no taste similarity.

I suggest the gooseberry descriptor came from British tasters, for whom gooseberry crumble was a common school pudding. My book names Jilly Goolden as popularising the gooseberry reference with 'like diving into a gooseberry bush' , and her co-presenter on BBCtv's Food & Drink programme as coining the phrase "cats pee on a gooseberry bush."

The Coopers Creek wine named "Cat's pee on a Gooseberry Bush." has a back label where the bar code is part of a bush and the cartoon cat is spraying it. I think that back label wasn't approved for the USA
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Silly US censors.

Robin,

"A good tip is NOT to use ammonia or ammonia based products to clean up cat urine since ammonia smells similar to cat urine, so you will be defeating the purpose." From http://www.pets.ca
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:25 pm

As with the bell pepper thread, I am trying to calibrate my tastes with others far more experienced with wine than myself. Is cat urine in sav blanc considered a positive or a negative? I like it a lot, but them I'm very territorial :lol:

There are so many different aromatic molecules in anything that smells that it is very difficult to compare any two smells one-to-one. There are some molecules in cat pee that smell good to some people and others that might not. And of course there is no telling if two people perceive a smell the same way.

I think some wine geeks like to use terms like “cat pee” and “sh-t” to differentiate themselves from uninitiated folks who don’t know a Bordeaux from a grape. A patois of sorts. It is also a way to protect someone whose tastes you don’t know, and yourself. Upon pouring glasses from a fine bottle, if you say, You probably won’t like this if you don’t like funky smells, such as earth and maybe barnyard, the common answer is “No thanks.” You can thus prevent wasting a fine glass of wine. You can pour the person something cheap and simple instead.

So I would use the term “cat pee,” and have some Yellow Tail on hand as an alternative, with the label blinded. Some folks might not know that the yellow tail is a type of kangaroo.
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:36 pm

I know gooseberry very well. They are not hard to find here north in Norway. It is often found in old gardens. To me the smell of gooseberry-leafs are closer to the smell found in SB that also recalls cat-pee. Take a goseberry-leaf and rub it between your finger and smell your fingers afterwards - you have sauvignon blanc.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:39 pm

Covert wrote:

There are so many different aromatic molecules in anything that smells that it is very difficult to compare any two smells one-to-one. There are some molecules in cat pee that smell good to some people and others that might not. And of course there is no telling if two people perceive a smell the same way.

I think some wine geeks like to use terms like “cat pee” and “sh-t” to differentiate themselves from uninitiated folks who don’t know a Bordeaux from a grape. A patois of sorts. It is also a way to protect someone whose tastes you don’t know, and yourself. Upon pouring glasses from a fine bottle, if you say, You probably won’t like this if you don’t like funky smells, such as earth and maybe barnyard, the common answer is “No thanks.” You can thus prevent wasting a fine glass of wine. You can pour the person something cheap and simple instead.

So I would use the term “cat pee,” and have some Yellow Tail on hand as an alternative, with the label blinded. Some folks might not know that the yellow tail is a type of kangaroo.

Covert,

Does that wine smell like what's under the yellow tail???
Thomas P
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:39 pm

Oh, so it's the leaves that smell similar to SB--not the berries. That's helpful Arnt.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:32 pm

Thomas wrote: Covert, Does that wine smell like what's under the yellow tail???

To be honest, I don't think I have ever tasted a white Yellow Tail, but I'm afraid a guest might think it smelled like what might have made a tail yellow; that's why I recommended blinding the label.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:14 pm

For people in the Southwest you could possible describe the aroma as desert juniper. Often when traveling through areas full of this bush I can smell cat pee, but it's just the bush.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:49 pm

Bruce K wrote:Mais oui -- pipi de chat.

Sounds more cultured, don't you think?

That's the line! I also explain to people that when you first smell it, you may be put off, but after a while you'll be put off if it's not there--and that is the definition of "acquired taste." (rimshot) :D