The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

An ex-Brit turning out this Cairanne? Well done Nick!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:17 am

Nick Thompson has been owner of Domaine de l`Ameillaud for over 15 years and has achieved quite a few accolades. Tom S. in his Wines of Alsace is a big fan of this estate.

WTN: `05 Cairanne, Domaine de l`Ameillaud.

Opened 2 hours, not decanted. Good natural cork, 14% alc, $18 Cdn. Blend is 65% Grenache, 25% Syrah, 5% Carignan.

C. Deep ruby w. nice purple tones on a wide rim. Medium intense centre, looks inviting.

N. Oak, spice, cherry with a hint of blackberry after 3 hrs. Think this is closed down somewhat..or should I grab a Riedel?!

P. Initial thought is smooth, soft, silky..a reflection of the vintage? Good fruit balance, fair example of cairanne. Ripe and precis, clean fruits mid-palate. Excellent structure with blackberry and cherry, no heat and drinks nicely already. Might be hard to find however but try looking!!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: An ex-Brit turning out this Cairanne? Well done Nick!

by Tim York » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:45 am

I will look out for this one. I guess that it is more likely to be available in the UK. This sounds like a serious Cairanne which will probably open up further and become a bit more complex in a year or two and then hold for some time.
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:47 am

Will be posting this weekend on the `07 which I have just decanted!
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 pm

It's a very serious Cairanne, Tim. And Nick is one heck of a nice guy too. They have a lovely b&b there and are very hospitable. And by all means try their rose if you find it.