The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Au Bon Climat, Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2003 Au Bon Climat, Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir

by Redwinger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:23 am

2003 Au Bon Climat, Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir
Served this with a simple dish of grilled salmon fillet topped with a Dijon-Dill cream sauce.
The color is fairly light which might suggest this was going to be a delcate wine. Not so at all, as it delivers quite a flavor whollup without heat/alcohol and oak. When I first opened the bottle I got a good whiff of strawberry rhubarb pie. Now I like rhubarb, just not in my wine. Fortunately the rhubarb thingy blew off after 15 minutes or so to reveal a nice red fruit profile with clove, cinnamon and black pepper to funish complexity and acidity to provide lift on the palate. I've posted a number of favorable notes on ABC pinots and this bottle continues my streak of good stuff from this producer. About $25.

Disclaimer: I sell Au Bon Climat wine to people
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: 2003 Au Bon Climat, Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir

by Hoke » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:20 am

I haven't ever been a fan of the ABC style of Chardonnay, but I am sure coming around on Clendennen's Pinot Noirs.

As I told him when I saw him a couple of weeks ago, maybe he's mellowing in his "old age". (He laughed, and denied it.)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:32 am

Hoke wrote:I haven't ever been a fan of the ABC style of Chardonnay...

Hoke,
I've only tried a couple of Jim's Chardonnay, both loer end stuff, and share your lack of enthusiasm for the Chards. Of course, I could say that about 98.93% of Chardonnay coming from the Golden State.
Bill
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Redwinger wrote:

Hoke,
I've only tried a couple of Jim's Chardonnay, both loer end stuff, and share your lack of enthusiasm for the Chards. Of course, I could say that about 98.93% of Chardonnay coming from the Golden State.
Bill

Hey, what's the point of giving us the %age without a margin of error, Bill? How can you expect me to take you seriously as a WineGeek™ without stated MOEs? I demand a clarification!!!!

Mark Gallup Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks for the note: I've got a few 03's and have been meaning to get around to trying one. Bought them out of curiosity, hadn't really tasted an ABC pinot in years. In the early 90's I found them to have a singular flavor somewhere in the iodine/antiseptic/bug killer range of flavors, could pick them out blind every time. Don't know if that's still there, and if it is I wouldn't count myself out for loving it now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:22 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Redwinger wrote:

Hoke,
Bill

Hey, what's the point of giving us the %age without a margin of error, Bill? How can you expect me to take you seriously as a WineGeek™ without stated MOEs? I demand a clarification!!!!

Mark Gallup Lipton

Mark, Mark, Mark,
When RW states a percentage there is zero/zip/nada margin of error. You can take them as true facts. What the hell kind of stat courses are they teaching up at Laugh-a-lot these days anyhow?
RW
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:23 pm

Earlier this year I got a chance to try some '93 and '94 ABC pinot, along with a bunch of Oregon producers' wines from same years, and I thought the ABC was the best of a good bunch. Light in color and body, intense in taste. I love that kind of wine! I still have a bottle of 1994 McKinlay, which has an even lighter color. I'm curious about it now.

Dave
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:34 pm

MTBakerDave wrote:Earlier this year I got a chance to try some '93 and '94 ABC pinot, along with a bunch of Oregon producers' wines from same years, and I thought the ABC was the best of a good bunch. Light in color and body, intense in taste. I love that kind of wine! I still have a bottle of 1994 McKinlay, which has an even lighter color. I'm curious about it now.

Dave

Dave,
Do you happen to recall if these were vineyard designated? IIRC, Clendennen has been sourcing fruit from the same Bien Nacido block(s) for many years. I'm not sure about wheter that holds true for his other sources or not.
Curly