The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

August Wine Focus: Summer sippers!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: August Wine Focus: Summer sippers!

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Rahsaan, the posting was on the Wine Doctor's site (Chris Kissack) in an article on Savenniere wines and wines of Anjou.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Rahsaan, the posting was on the Wine Doctor's site (Chris Kissack) in an article on Savenniere wines and wines of Anjou.

Thanks, he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Although when I go to his Epire page (http://www.thewinedoctor.com/loire/epire.shtml) the only reference he makes to demi-sec styles is talking about the 96 Epire. Otherwise, he seems to think (as do I, although with less extensive experience) that while Epire might have gotten a bit more 'generous' in style with recent vintages they still tilt towards the more backwards and less modern end of Savennieres.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:36 pm

WTN: `08 Lucos Albarino Rias Baixas, Spain.

$26 Cdn, from Pazos de Lusco, 13% alc, cellared one year as I thought needed some extra time to knit together. www.lusco.es. Serve not too chilled is best imo.

Colour is a medium to deep lemon, was quite watery a year ago! Nice aromatics here with lime and white fruits to forefront.
Initial entry thought is dry, quite complex, soft citrus finish. Some minerality shows, medium-bodied, no tropical fruit thankfully. Held up well overnight, perhaps a tads more tartness? "No chance of mistaking for Sauv Blanc" from across the table...but some do eh.

Food was pork scallopini, sauteed shrimp...fair match.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Nice report Bob. I too like the Albariño wines from NW Spain. In particular I like their acidity, and the fact that I think I can almost taste the sea in their (briny?) flavor. A good Albariño and some peel and eat Langostino's and I could watch the gypsies dance the Flamenco all night long! I found a pretty decent one here (not great one) for just under $10.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 pm

A good gypsy Flamenco dancer for $10?!?!?!?!? Nice!!!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Joy Patton wrote:Hey all! Sorry I haven't been around for awhile - the craziness of summer has all but completely overwhelmed me the past several months - but it is good to be back on WLDG!

My favorite summer sippers, or "patio pounders", as I like to refer to them are rosés. Here are a few of my favorites:

2010 Bieler Père at Fils, "Sabine", Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Rosé
2010 Nigl, Zweigelt Rosé, Kremstal, Austria
2010 Domaine Gris des Bauries, “Les Estras”, Côtes du Rhône Rosé

Cheers & happy sipping!

Joy, you've been gone too long! I like "patio pounders" btw, made me laugh. A habit formed in Alaska when we actually had a deck is to call all summer wines "deck wines" even though what we now have is a patio. We hadn't been able to figure out a reasonable and more accurate transition--you've solved that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Last weekend we had a chile roasting party in which three other couples helped us torch and bag-for-freezing 52 lbs of New Mexico's finest. Various Mexican beers and several Vinho Verdes were served, of which the one that just made everyone go AHHH, including me, was the ruby-bright 2010 red VV from Casal Garcia (which my husband hilariously and unintentionally mispronounced as 'Casual Garcia', as it shall hereafter be known). I don't know that I had a more satisfying drop all summer long, especially the hot last six weeks, than this. Fruity, dry and softly effervescent, it left me craving more. Sadly, I'd only bought one bottle, or I don't think anyone would have touched anything else.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 pm

2010 Masciarelli, Colline Teatine, Rosato IGT ($9.99 NH Liq Store). Alcohol level: 12.5%. Very nice with Gemilli in our own basil pesto, and broiled Italian sausages. Last day of the month; sigh!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:03 pm

La Cigarrera Manzanilla. At our house, this stuff has, at least for the time being, eclipsed all rosés (except maybe the Clos Roche Blanche).
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:40 am

Côtes de Provence (rosé) Pétale de Rose 2010 - Château la Tour de l'Évêque, Régine Sumeire - Alc.13.5%, made near Pierrefeu from 40% cinsault, 35% grenache, 11% syrah, 5% mourvèdre, 3% cabernet sauvignon, 3% ugni, 2% sémillon and 1% rolle.

After a rotten July and August, summer seems to have begun in September but, if the weather forecasters are to be believed, it will only last two or three days. Let us be thankful for what we are getting. Meals on the terrace under an open parasol are possible for almost the first time and this is our first bottle of pink.

And a very nice one too. More serious than many with quite some backbone, its attractive and generous aromas of red fruit and garrigue and the fruit on the palate opened up at a warmer temperature (c.14°C) than intuitive for a pink. A good food wine; 15.5/20+.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Hard to believe your first "pinkie" this year Tim.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:56 pm

WTN: `10 Terras Gauda Rias Biaxas Abadia de San Campio, Sp.

First time I have seen the entry level but lots of TNs on the O Rosal over the years.
12.5% alc, $18 Cdn, LOT AB30/10

Light to medium yellow. Nose appeals with citrus, green apple, some floral. Initial entry thought was not too acidic, dry, medium bodied. I read a report about sweet ripe fruit! No way forumites, white stone fruit, citrus, lime, tad chalky perhaps. Have half-bottle left, will come back later.
Previous