The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lots of long names (Perll, 'tavijn, Pierre-Bise, Brun)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Lots of long names (Perll, 'tavijn, Pierre-Bise, Brun)

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:14 pm

2004 Weingut August Perll Bopparder Hamm Feuerlay Riesling Kabinett (Mittelrhein) $12 Imp: Vineyard Research, Lunenburg, MA. 10% abv. AP# 2 05.
A really delightful wine with great balance, lots of white fruit flavor, more than a touch of sweetness yet decent acidity. This bottle tastes a bit sweeter than last time I had this.

2004 cascina ‘tavijn Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato (Piedmont) $20 Imp: Dressner. 14% abv.
Wow. This is one of the most intensely aromatic wines I’ve had in a long time. Fresh red cherry and violets are just bursting from the glass. The wine has a nice structure carrying decent tannins and acidity along with a good dose of mineral. Really really nice juice and a totally fun wine.

2002 Château Pierre-Bise Coteaux du Layon Rochefort Les Rayelles (Loire) $23/500ml. Imp: Dressner. 12.7% abv.
Papin-Chevailier. I really enjoy the rich white fruit flavors and velvety texture of this wine. It’s very sweet and while it never gets to the cloying stage I keep thinking that it could use a bit more acidity. Maybe it’s just me as the Perll tasted exceptionally sweet tonight as well. There is an wonderfully long exotic fruit finish. Overall I like it but I don’t love it, and will re-check when I’m not so sweet-sensitive.

24hrs later: Damn, I really was overly sensitive last night. This wine is quite good. The acidity is there and the flavor is even more exquisite.

2004 Jean Paul Brun Terres Dorees Beaujolais L’Ancien Vieilles Vignes $11 Imp: Dressner. 12% abv.
Now this is refreshing. Crisp, clean cherry and minerals with soft tannins and decent acidity. Can’t go wrong here and it’s a bargin to boot.
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: Lots of long names (Perll, 'tavijn, Pierre-Bise, Bru

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:09 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:2002 Château Pierre-Bise Coteaux du Layon Rochefort Les Rayelles (Loire) $23/500ml. Imp: Dressner. 12.7% abv. 24hrs later: Damn, I really was overly sensitive last night. This wine is quite good. The acidity is there and the flavor is even more exquisite.

I don't know if you're sensitive or not, but the wine is rich and does need time to come into balance. So, either way..

Also, where did you buy 04 L'Ancienne for $11, it's $15 here at K&L.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

Pre-thread Message

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:58 am

That's the local price, Rahsaan.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:38 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:2004 cascina ‘tavijn Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato (Piedmont) $20 Imp: Dressner. 14% abv.
Wow. This is one of the most intensely aromatic wines I’ve had in a long time. Fresh red cherry and violets are just bursting from the glass. The wine has a nice structure carrying decent tannins and acidity along with a good dose of mineral. Really really nice juice and a totally fun wine.

Bill,
IMO, ruche requires ripeness. I've had a few of them from less than ripe vintages and they can get green and thin pretty fast. But like you, when I get one in a good vintage, they can be a delight. 'Nice to see Dressner has one.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:13 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Also, where did you buy 04 L'Ancienne for $11, it's $15 here at K&L.

Methinks you're overpaying, Rahsaan. $15 doesn't sound right for L'Ancien.

It's good to see positive notes on '04 Beaujolais wines. The initial impressions of a few months back were none too good. But now a lot of the wines seem to be coming around and becoming quite pretty. One more that's worth looking for is Pascal Granget's Moulin-à-Vent. Josie has called it "The best thing you've served me al month" and ordered me to buy a case.

Oh, and Bill, I will go out in the rain just to find myself a bottle of that '04 Ruché from Tavijn. The '04 Grignolino I tried a couple of weeks ago at the Real Wine Assault was truly lovely.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

Pre-thread Message

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:25 am

Jim wrote:I've had a few of them from less than ripe vintages and they can get green and thin pretty fast.

I agree, Jim. Last one I had was an '02 from Casa Brina and, while interesting, it wasnt as captivating at this one here. Major yum.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

Pre-thread Message

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:34 am

Manuel wrote:It's good to see positive notes on '04 Beaujolais wines.

I didnt start drinking '04 beaujolais until a couple of weeks ago and I've been very happy with the ones that I've had.

Manuel wrote:One more that's worth looking for is Pascal Granget's Moulin-à-Vent. Josie has called it "The best thing you've served me al month" and ordered me to buy a case.

Thanks!

Manuel wrote:Oh, and Bill, I will go out in the rain just to find myself a bottle of that '04 Ruché from Tavijn. The '04 Grignolino I tried a couple of weeks ago at the Real Wine Assault was truly lovely.

That's exactly what I'm doing today. It's raining and I'm heading back to get more ruché...and now it looks like a bottle or two of the grignolino that I know is in stock as well.
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:Methinks you're overpaying, Rahsaan. $15 doesn't sound right for L'Ancien.

Ok, thanks, good to know. It's curious, because if I compare K&L with Chambers, across a number of Dressner Loire wines, some are a few dollars cheaper in one store, while others are a few dollars cheaper in other stores.

Maybe they arrived at different times, or maybe different markets have different micro-priorities..

Either way, good wines..
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Pre-thread Message

by Marc D » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:30 pm

2004 cascina ‘tavijn Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato (Piedmont) $20 Imp: Dressner. 14% abv.

I tried this recently and am a fan too. For some reason the structure of the wine and the clarity of the fruit reminded me of a really good cru Beaujolais. The bottle says the wine is sulfured but I didn't notice this at all. Didn't notice any heat from the alcohol either. This is another rebuy for me. Thanks for the notes.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Pre-thread Message

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:40 pm

I have to agree about Brun's Beujolais. So much of what we see from that region here in the USA is utter schlock. Brun's Beaujolais is real wine, dammit, and will even keep for several years (if you have the willpower to keep your hands off it, which I don't).

-Paul W.