Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rogov Obit

User

Sami Abramovich

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:15 pm

arad israel

Re: Rogov Obit

by Sami Abramovich » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:02 am

"Shalom" Daniel

I had the honor and pleasure to know you.!
Rest in peace dear gentleman.

Sincerely.
sami
sami abramovich

arad
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:04 am

Thank you Rogov for all you did. Rest in peace.
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 am

As I wrote when Rogov posted about his semi-retirement (Craig, your joke was so bitter-sweetly funny), we had our differences but I really wish for him that he could have enjoyed life just a little longer. But at least it appears that his suffering was relatively short and that he died happy, and for that I'm glad.

Apparently, he also managed to crash the WLDG servers with his self-obit. Now that's style.

Everyone dies with unfinished business. A wine lover also dies with many unopen bottles. Rogov must have left the earth with a damn huge inventory.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User

Billy M

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 am

by Billy M » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:08 am

I never met Daniel, though I corresponded with him often. I know I write this for me - he is in a better place, while we are still here. We disagreed often, but with respect. When I heard I felt an overwhelming sadness and I cried like I haven't since a child. There was a grace that to me was a remnant of the past and a promise of the future. His advice and opinion was always sought and treasured, even where I knew his would not be the same as mine. His passing will be more than felt, it will be remembered, often, when we realize that his voice is no longer there.
(aka newlawyer)
Is this stuff on the level or are you just making it up as you go along? (Groucho)
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:09 am

Such a sudden departure is indeed shocking. Thank you for all that you've given us, Rogov, and goodbye, dear Curmudgeon.

Mark Lipton
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:24 am

BS"D

Baruch Dayan Ha'Emes

Rogov,

We will Say a Bracha(Blessing) in your thanks this week for helping so many find Kosher wine maybe we would have never tried.

Members of the board,

May we continue to share about wine, drink and exchange notes, be open about it all and most of all celebrate the Wine which is a gift Rogov opened with us.

Love be with your day,
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Matthew Latuchie

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 am

Chicago, IL

by Matthew Latuchie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:33 am

Rest in peace Daniel - you will be dearly missed.
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:49 am

Very sad to read this, R.I.P. Daniel.
User

Joelle Rubin

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:47 am

Jerusalem, Israel

by Joelle Rubin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:53 am

Wine is crying, so am I.
The first words I told him the first time we met was "you deserve to have a street on your name for what you do for Israeli wine", his answer was "oh no, I have enough enemies...".
Actually, as a new born wine lover I started to hear about him by a wine-shop owner I was working with 2 years ago and then by various other people, in bad ways!
But it was too unanimous to be true, so I thought in myself "that criticized Rogov must be a good man". So I got his Wine Guide and I started to study it, each page was an open door to my new born passion, and I did bless him for it.
Then I contacted him and he accepted to meet me for a dedicace of my so precious Rogov Guide*. I immediately felt in love with that so special true human being.
The second time was at the evening organized for the publication of the Rogov Guide in Hebrew, again I was so impressed by this man of class, sensitivity and humor. I told him something like "I don't like those people who talk about you in bad ways, they should instead focus on what you did for Israeli wine because nobody ever did it", he answered me with a warm hug.
This is him, a poet who did truly love people, the last gentleman.
Wine is crying, so am I... still a bit and then I will let him go.

Joelle
* inspired by very last words of the film Casablanca, see link
http://youtu.be/8vY-4zWKsJM
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:58 am

Rest in peace Rogov. We will all miss you.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:58 am

To Rogov! Salut! God speed on your next great adventure!
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:12 pm

I don't even know what to write, so I will refrain out of concern that I will not be sufficiently poignant. I will, however, share that, when discussing over Shabbat lunch last week what my wife and kids were going to get me for my birthday this coming weekend, - of ALL things in this world - my 10-year old suggested - with all his earnestness - that we should invite Daniel Rogov to come eat dinner with me. Of all the pleasures in life that I covet that he could have suggested, this is what he chose. And he knows me pretty well..... :(
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
no avatar
User

Jonathan Kalman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:11 pm

by Jonathan Kalman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Without Daniel it is doubtful if the Israeli wine world would be the vibrant community that it is today. His contribution to the evolution of the knowledge and awareness of Israeli wine was immense. He will be missed and went out in his own inimitable style. RIP Daniel.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Here is a link to Rogov's obituary in Ha'Aretz:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/ha ... y-1.383064
no avatar
User

Gad E

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

by Gad E » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Just as an old bottle of fine wine can evoke memories of years past, Daniel’s words will no doubt continue to remind us of the man and of his lasting contribution to the world of wine for many years to come.

Good-bye Daniel, and thank you.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Our Israeli forum member know the special meaning of the words:

"Shalom Haver" - Farewell my Friend.

I find this the most appropriate thing to say...
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Reproducing my post from the "other" forum:

Rogov was my guide as I took my first steps into the world of serious wine appreciation. I simply would not be the wine lover I am today without him. It's heartbreaking to know that our long-hoped-for meeting will never happen. And I'm particularly sad to have been so busy this past year that I was not able to spend more time "with" him. This is a sad day not just for us here, but for the world of wine, and for all with a passion for the good things in life.

Goodbye, dear Rogov . . . .
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:43 pm

How did this happen so fast? Rogov, we weren't ready to let you go. (tears)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

by YossiD » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Some people seem to hang on until they feel the time is right to make a graceful exit.

How marvelous that Rogov (as he always signed his postings) managed to keep himself going so he could attend last week's testimonial dinner in his honor. And then to write an eloquent obituary for himself. Besides writing it the way he wanted, he was also kind enough to gently say goodbye.

Many people go through life not knowing that they are loved or appreciated; Rogov was not one of them.

When my time comes, I can only hope to do as well.

Yossi
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 pm

I was asked to convey this most excellent contribution from a fan of Rogov's who wishes to remain anonymous, written in Rogov's own tasting note style:

Rogov, Daniel, Brooklyn-Paris-Tel Aviv, ?-2011: A royal gentleman who brought others together through his love for people, food and wine. He had strong flavors of sweetness supported by a vast and deep knowledge of his trade. His forum revealed his generous spirit and his desire to educate and help others. Strong like oak, spicy when appropriate, critical at times although without any acid remarks. Notes flowed freely and included fine chocolate, coffee and of course, tobacco – all of which he enjoying over long conversations. We are grateful you imparted your wisdom and kindness to us forumites. Reflect, Remember, and Recognize now-forever. Score 100. Worth seeking out multiple memories and cellaring for years to come.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Oh, so sudden. So missed. What an emptiness he leaves.
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Very hard to believe I will not be reading any more of Rogov's comments and posts. His were ones I always looked at even when I was not keen on the wine or topic, as there was always this sense of reasonableness and tranquility that permeated his words. I love that he wrote his own good bye letter. Awesome. May God be with you.
Cheers, Jim
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Rest in peace, Rogov. Your wit and wisdom will be sorely missed.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext