The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Corked Trimbach: Is TCA a Riesling Thing?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Corked Trimbach: Is TCA a Riesling Thing?

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:05 am

We planned to open a 2003 Trimbach Riesling last night to accompany a sesame chicken dish. The cork broke off and the bottom half disintegrated as my wife tired to pull it. I didn't think too much about it until she said that her first taste was "strange". I poured a glass and picked up the unmistakeable "wet cardboard" odor of TCA taint without even putting my nose to the glass.

This wine was from a half case of the '03. We have already consumed two bottles which were fine. This is the first corked Trimbach of the many, many bottles we have consumed over the years. Bummer! The interesting thing is that approximately 90% of the corked wines we have opened over the years have been Rieslings. What gives?

Following the failure of the Trimbach I snagged a good 'ol Kim Crawford SB under screw cap to prevent more pain and suffering.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Corked Trimbach: Is TCA a Riesling Thing?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:29 am

Was there not a similar problem posted here a month ago, Trimbach too?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:54 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Was there not a similar problem posted here a month ago, Trimbach too?

The problem there was that the Trimbach in question was under screwcap. I believe that Trimbach had a minor TCA problem at the winery a few years back. It isn't always the cork's fault.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:37 pm

I think borderline taint is more evident in whites in general (and Riesling, possibly the most transparent grape, in particular). No reason there should be more taint, but more likely to get noticed. Of course, what one drinks and sheer chance can also color results.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:12 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Was there not a similar problem posted here a month ago, Trimbach too?

The problem there was that the Trimbach in question was under screwcap. I believe that Trimbach had a minor TCA problem at the winery a few years back. It isn't always the cork's fault.

Trimbach does not use screwcap, and there has been no discussion that I can recall about TCA issues at Trimbach. Where was this discussion?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:36 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I think borderline taint is more evident in whites in general (and Riesling, possibly the most transparent grape, in particular).

Good point Dale. I don't consider myself super sensitive to TCA. The wines that I have set aside for TCA taint in the past, including this Trimbach, were quite noticeable. In this case the bottom of the cork literally fell apart. I have to believe we just happened to get a Trimbach with a really lousy piece of cork stuck in it.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:

Trimbach does not use screwcap, and there has been no discussion that I can recall about TCA issues at Trimbach. Where was this discussion?

David,
Here is a link to a recent Trimbach TCA discussion: TRIMBACH
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:06 pm

(and Riesling, possibly the most transparent grape, in particular)

That's a very nice comment about Riesling.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:36 pm

I haven't seen any correlation between TCA and rieslings. If anything, the opposite--the rieslings I've had have been more reliable than the rest of the wines in my cellar, as regards TCA taint. I think it's a totally random phenomenon.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:27 am

Redwinger wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:

David,
Here is a link to a recent Trimbach TCA discussion: TRIMBACH

My mistake. It was synthetic cork. Thanks to the Ol' Redwinger for loading up the link to the previous discusion. It still really puzzles me.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:07 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Trimbach does not use screwcap, and there has been no discussion that I can recall about TCA issues at Trimbach. Where was this discussion?

As others have pointed out, there was a fairly extended discussion here, but it was about a Trimbach stoppered with a synthetic. I summarized the discussion in a <i>30 Second Wine Advisor</i> article, got a lot of E-mail, and I did get a nice E-mail in English from Jean Trimbach, who basically said, "Geez, #### happens, don't know how that came to pass, but I'm sure sorry." He said it was a NomaCork. I don't know if it's possible to distinguish Noma from Neo by casual examination, but they're both made in the slick-skin, foamy-interior style.
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:11 am

And just for what it's worth, I have not had any more corked bottles from Trimbach than normal. In fact two wines have given me the most cork problems: Beaujolais and...wait for it...Donnhoff. :cry:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:32 am

David, By my count I have had approximately 52 bottles of various Trimbach wines that is the first one to be corked.
Sam