The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2nd hand blind tasting, could be happening here forumites!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

2nd hand blind tasting, could be happening here forumites!!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:12 am

One of the forums in the UK does this "blind" tasting from time to time and it has proven very popular with participants. Last year I picked Chambourcin and stumped quite a few people!! Here is how it works.........You pick a wine from the cellar/off the shelf and write brief tasting notes here on the forum. Participants have to try and guess which wine you are referring to/vintage/grape/country etc. You give some clues as forumites wander around aimlessly!!! Sooner or later someone will get it or come really close!!

So who`s game?? Otto will be interested I know!! Any questions, I am here for you!!!! No prize, just the satisfaction of being the winner. Well perhaps we can get a T-shirt for the winner of the inaugural 2nd hand blind tasting!! I could take care of that.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: 2nd hand blind tasting, could be happening here forumites!!!

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:17 am

Interesting because it involves both the skill of the person guessing as well as the skill of the person writing.

So who wins the TShirt?

And more importantly, who is going to start?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: 2nd hand blind tasting, could be happening here forumite

by Saina » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:36 am

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting because it involves both the skill of the person guessing as well as the skill of the person writing.

LOL!! I've never had any skills, but that's never stopped me from writing them in the UK forum! :)

Good idea though, I've always thought they're fun.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:56 am

Go for it!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:22 am

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting because it involves both the skill of the person guessing as well as the skill of the person writing.

So who wins the TShirt?

And more importantly, who is going to start?

Rahsaan, I thought right off the bat that you would be interested!!!
I have a bottle lined up which I will taste on Monday and post asap. I will be around Tuesday/Wednesday....off and on, to keep things going and reply to guesswork! I will write notes easy to understand with maybe a few clues!??? But not too many of course, LOL.

I will fork out some dough for an enscribed T Shirt, around $30. I did one for the Blind Team Challenge here last month. It will say something like.....

Wine Tasting Champ

The winner is the person who comes nearest to guessing the wine/year/area of origin. My decision is final!!!! No time limit .... more people will join in as we go along I think/hope!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:27 pm

OK, the bottle of........... is right in front of me!!!!! Will post some introductory tasting notes on Sunday evening. Robin is going to promote this exercise on Monday`s Wine Advisor so who else is in?!!!

I will be fair and not pull any tricks,aagh hum(cough). The title of the thread will be something like...."Have a guess ! Our first 2nd hand blind tasting".
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:53 pm

Bob
I'm sure I'll have a go in my amateur wild guessing manner!
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:48 am

Ian, this one will be right up your street!!!

Have thought may be good idea to have www.wineloverspage.com on the T shirt underneath Wine Tasting Chump!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: 2nd hand blind tasting, could be happening here forumite

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:20 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:

LOL!! I've never had any skills, but that's never stopped me from writing them in the UK forum! :)

Good idea though, I've always thought they're fun.

I am going to keep the introductory words pretty simple and drop some hints as participants start to warm up. I do not want to give the game away by writing extensive notes right off the bat. That would be too simple/easy!!!
Think New World/Old World, then country and try to figure out the grape varietal or blend if you want to show off!! After that go from there if no-one is close to making the call.

First tasting notes will be posted 6pm MT Sunday so Ian and Otto will be rady to go when they wake up!!!!