The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Siduri Cerise Vineyard Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2001 Siduri Cerise Vineyard Pinot Noir

by Jenise » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:28 pm

Pinot seemed the perfect choice for a dinner of roast pork tenderloin and baked acorn squash, and Bob selected the 2001 Siduri Cerise Vineyard Pinot Noir from California's Anderson Valley. Bob's first comment was that it was "a wolf in sheep's clothing", in that it smelled like pinot but there were all these other big flavors in the way of it tasting like pinot. Me, after an initial rush of sweet berry fruit, all I could get was toasted barrel. As the fruit receded, the wine tasted greener.

The way we serve wine, a bottle will provide two shallow servings each and leave a third in case we don't finish the bottle. We usually do!, but we try to not make that automatic which would be the case with fewer larger servings. And so it was quite marked when the third glass poured very cloudy compared to the first two, and the wine developed some off sour flavors.

I'm confused; I don't know what to make of Siduri any more. But this I didn't like or expect. Have Siduri wines always been so toasted? Have I been so blinded by the huge youthful fruit (which I took a certain guilty pleasure in, though I don't prefer it) that I just couldn't see it? Is it unreasonable to expect a wine to not snuff itself out at five years old like a cheap chardonnay? I have one each left of the Cargasacchi, Gary's and another I can't remember, plus in 02 I have Hirsch and Rosella's. Anyone have any recent experience with any of these?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2001 Siduri Cerise Vineyard Pinot Noir

by JC (NC) » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:22 am

I think I still have one 1999 Siduri Pisoni P.N. Maybe it's time to open it but first I have a questions for you Jenise on the St. Innocent thread.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:18 pm

JC, though I don't think Siduri is intentionally making wines for aging, the 99's seemed to hang in there pretty good judging by the Gary's and the Christian David we drank within the last year, both were very good. I'd be hopeful therefore for your Pisoni, but I would plan on getting around to it sooner than later.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:48 pm

I have the exact same bottle and will pop it soon to correlate.

2001 was not a strong vintage for Siduri IMO.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:33 pm

David, your comment makes me wonder something I haven't thought of before about the good vintage/bad vintage scenarios we presume even the best wineries to sometims have. Considering the myriad vineyard sources Siduri fruit comes from, isn't it a little odd for a winery like Siduri to have an off year? Understand I'm not suggesting an answer one way or the other, I really don't have an answer to it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:36 pm

It's odd, but not totally out of hte question. I find 2001 to be a poor year for Cali Pinot in general. I find most of them over-hot and lacking in fruit to stand up to their standard oak treatment. I had the same issues with Brian Loring's 2001s, as well as some others.

I have stood up my bottle of 2001 Cerise, and it will be paired up with a SQN No.6 tomorrow night.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Ah, interesting point of view. I usually get some sense when the new releases show up, but the release of the 2001s coincided with The Year of Moving Dangerously and I never got a handle on it. Anyway, I look forward to your notes on the wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:57 pm

Ok...take two...my original response went into cyber-neverland...

I opened my bottle, and it had plenty of raspberry fruit, though it did still seem somewhat dominated by the oak. Not much in the way of complexity, and showing a bit hollow as many 2001s have for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:40 pm

David, our experiences were very similar then. Did you share the bottle with guests or did you and Mrs. B. have it all to yourself?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:15 pm

Mrs. B is out of town, so I shared it with some friends from my tasting group. We had consistent notes. Not surprisingly, a bottle of Sine Qua Non Pinot Noir No. 6 was finished while the Sirduri went about 1/2 drunk.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:41 pm

Got it. Was just wondering because this was one of those bottles that got less and less interesting as time wore on. In instances where everybody gets an initial pour but no followup, you don't neccessarily get an opportunity to observe that.

And, yeah, no surprise about the SQN.