The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Possible trip to Paris

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

Possible trip to Paris

by RonicaJM » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:11 pm

This is kind of a wine related question. I have been invited to go to Paris in July and am wondering how much I should budget for food? If I just eat bread, wine and cheese how much should I expect to spend a day? 8)
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Possible trip to Paris

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:07 pm

Not that the bread, wine, and cheese are not fabulous, but don't go all that way and limit yourself to just that!

If you did want a simple bread/cheese sandwich for lunch you could figure between 5 - 10 euros, you can find 3-5 euro sandwiches everywhere, although you could also find a nice cheese shop and a nice bakery and a nice vegetable market and concoct your own, for something inbetween 5-10 euros including non-alcoholic beverage and perhaps dessert. Same price range for similar 'fast' lunches of quiche or other takeaway.

Restaurants are the full range as in any city. There are of course plenty of cheap 10-20 euro bistros and brasseries for dinner, and if you somehow find a good one that is nice. But, like many cities, once you get into the 30euro range you start to find excellent options, and of course can keep going up and up for there.

Depending how long you are staying and how interested you and your companions are in food, I would urge you to at least have one meal in the 30-50euro range, if not more.

Wine is similar, you can find drinkable boring stuff in the supermarket for 2 euros, solid qpr wines in wine shops for 10euros, and then keep going up and up from there depending on the region..

Enjoy
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:23 pm

RonicaJM wrote:This is kind of a wine related question. I have been invited to go to Paris in July and am wondering how much I should budget for food? If I just eat bread, wine and cheese how much should I expect to spend a day? 8)

Hi Ronica.

Seconding Rahsaan's thoughts, traveling all the way to Paris and not eating anything except bread and cheese would be like going to a concert and only listening to the triangle. Don't you like a variety of food, or are you just on a very tight budget?

You can dine in Paris inexpensively, for about the same cost as greasing in Texas. There is some mark-up because of the Euro being worth a little more than the US dollar, but the food is so much better there than in a typical American city that the QRP is higher.

I know I'm always giving you avuncular advice, whether you ask for it or not, but why don't you plan to spend some money in Paris, because you will have fond memories of food and wine that will last you for a lifetime

You may know that Hemmingway scribed a wonderful travel book about his stay in Paris, in the 20s. He was on a starving artist tight budget, and lived on bread, cheese and charcuterie, which you should add to your menu; but managed to insinuate his way into some fine grub, too. (For wine, you can take a page out of Itzhak Perlman’s book. He goes around telling anybody with a deep wine cellar that he was born in 1945, in order to get free great wine from that year.) Hemmingway called his book “The Movable Feast,” meaning that once you have been to Paris you will always have it with you. So you should take the best of it when you have the chance to be there.

Covert
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:43 pm

when were you going? some of us will be there at the end of januaary either before or after a big tasting near lyon. if you do the cheese thing, just buy it at a good store - get the bread at a bakery and don't forget some salami as well. the wine can be bought for 5e/bottle and the badoit mineral water(highly recommended) is de regour also. do you have a hotel? you should check out the hotel suez - it is r. st. michel and very close to a metro stop and is very friendly. there are good wine and cheese shops near there.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:00 pm

Ronica,

My experience in traveling to Paris, on business and pleasure, is that you will not be able to get by on anything less than 25 EUR per day unless you have tremendous will power. I would plan on twice that much to allow for one good meal each day. Have fun!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:19 am

Covert wrote:Hi Ronica.

I know I'm always giving you avuncular advice, whether you ask for it or not, but why don't you plan to spend some money in Paris, because you will have fond memories of food and wine that will last you for a lifetime

Covert

Covert,

good advice. You are right, Paris will always be w/ me and I might as well make room in the budget as long as I'm going.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 am

creightond wrote:when were you going? some of us will be there at the end of januaary either before or after a big tasting near lyon. if you do the cheese thing, just buy it at a good store - get the bread at a bakery and don't forget some salami as well. the wine can be bought for 5e/bottle and the badoit mineral water(highly recommended) is de regour also. do you have a hotel? you should check out the hotel suez - it is r. st. michel and very close to a metro stop and is very friendly. there are good wine and cheese shops near there.

If I go it will be w/ some friends in July that will be there for the Paris air show. I will crash w/ them and all I know is that it will be a five star. I have to start saving now, so I wanted to get an idea of how much I needed to save.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:50 am

RonicaJM wrote:If I go it will be w/ some friends in July that will be there for the Paris air show. I will crash w/ them...

Crashing at the air show? :shock:
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:38 am

I won't be going to the air show. Just taking advantage of their hospitality and the opportunity to hang out w/ the wife as the hubby is busy doing the work thing. 8) It's really quite charitable of me to go all the way to Paris to keep her company.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:23 pm

It's really quite charitable of me to go all the way to Paris to keep her company.

Charitable? I think it's heroic! In fact, it may be too big a job for just one person. I should go along to help....
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:53 pm

"...traveling all the way to Paris and not eating anything except bread and cheese would be like going to a concert and only listening to the triangle."

Almost poetry.

Ronica, save a lot of money for Paris; it's worth every Euro. But if you need a break or a low-priced meal every so often, check out the spots where students eat (not the fast food ones) or go to Monmartre and eat at the African restaurants, or pop in at Le Sergeant de Recruiteur on Isle St Louis, I believe.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:36 pm

it just occurred to me that many people who go to paris don't realize how close champagne is. you can take a train directly from de gaulle to reims. even driving it is only 90 minutes. once you are there you can walk to everything and see the major houses and their beatiful cellars. then back to paris on the train. good fun trip for wine lovers.
david creighton
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:56 pm

thanks for the champagne tip!
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:48 pm

Not going to the Paris Airshow?
This is one of the great events of the world!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:02 pm

something else occurs to me about this first post: i don't know how good the bread is where you have been - but i must say that, especially compared to twenty years ago, the bread in france is nothing to marvel at. i get much better stuff here in ann arbor. now, the cheese is another thing. the bread there is fine, ok, etc. - better than most people get i'm sure; but just not really great anymore. think salami as well - now that stuff really rocks! do you guys have a place to stay or are you still looking?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:10 pm

A friend of mine returned Monday from a month in Paris. Eating from grocery stores daily set him back about 15 Euro per day--eating out one 'nice' meal bumped that to over 50 Euros. He shot the works one night and spent 100 Euros on dinner. I asked since we are going next year!

Of note, Italy from the markets was cheaper, but our dinners out were VERY expensive

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Food and Dining Costs in Paris

by Bernard Roth » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:10 am

In my opinion, if the purpose of the trip to Paris is to enjoy food and wine, plan on a budget of $100 per day. Why would you bother with the transportation and housing costs to get there, yet spend less than 25% on food and wine?

If the purpose of the trip is to enjoy the sites and the culture, you can get by on half that amount. Do not plan on less than 40 Euros per day for food or you will go bonkers with self-denial.

College kids could get by on 25 Euros per day eating street food and basics.
Regards,
Bernard Roth