The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pinot Noir - what goes best with it

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Pinot Noir - what goes best with it

by OW Holmes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:59 pm

I think Pinot is the second best wine to serve with a whole lot of things, but have yet to find the meal for which it is the absolute best wine. It has great versatility, obviously (d'oh) but the perfect match depends upon both the style of Pinot Noir, and the seasoning of the food. I like the more austere pinots of Oregon with some salmon, but not others. Ia like the robust california pinots with vinison if done in lingonberries or the like, but not if simply pan fried. But even if I miss with pinot, its not a miss by miles. Love the versatility.
Because of the versatility, it is a natural choice for Thanksgiving dinner, IMHO. Or anytime you have no idea what kind of wine to serve with the meal.
-OW
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 am

D. Updike wrote:I'm become not such a big fan of recommending Pinot Noir with ham. I think for the most part ham is too salty and at times can make Pinot taste a bit austere.

I'd rather do rose, Riesling/Gewurtz, or if it has to be red something with a bit more fruit like Grenache or possibly a Zinfandel.

Wandering off topic, but we're fond of a fruity, chilled Beaujolais with ham. Chilled more like a white than a red.

As mentioned above, Pinot Noir is probably no worse than second best with almost any food.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:50 am

OW Holmes wrote:It has great versatility, obviously (d'oh) but the perfect match depends upon both the style of Pinot Noir, and the seasoning of the food.

Hear, hear :!:
no avatar
User

BillCallos

Rank

Just got here

Mon May 29, 2006 9:40 pm

by BillCallos » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Tom N. wrote:
BillCallos wrote:Tell Me, what are the best type of meals that go best with Pinot Noir
Bill

Hi Bill,

The one match not mentioned yet that I really like is with grilled tuna. I had this match a number of times and really like it. I just had a Cote du Nuit Villages with grilled halibut and found that to be a nice match also. Finally, I often match pinot with pork loin and tenderloin. These delicate meats go well with pinot, especially if you cook them just enough to get them done (just barely white in the middle). Enjoy.

thanks Tom the grilled Tuna sounds great! I am going to try that , Regards, Bill Callos
no avatar
User

SFJoe

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm

by SFJoe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:39 pm

Marc D wrote:

Where did you find the Jura Pinot?

K&L, although I have also had good ones from CSW.
no avatar
User

David O

Rank

Just got here

Mon May 23, 2011 2:31 pm

by David O » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi folks,

The best kosher Pinot Noir i have ever tasted is Pinot noir from LIVNI Winery. Just taste it and tell me please.
I give 97 points, yes. 97.

what do you think?

To be found at APERITIF WINE SHOP, Dizengoff 93, Tel-AViv. Please give feed back..

Best

David
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:31 pm

A "good rule of thumb" is that Pinot goes with anything with feathers on it. That would of course include chicken, turkey, dove, quail, pheasant, duck, woodcock, and aforementioned squab. Mushrooms are always welcome, and certainly salmon, veal, pork tenderloin and other lighter fair. We eat chicken 2-3 times a week, and just as much because we like Pinot as the fact that we like chicken, easy, tasty, and healthy. What's not to like? Tomorrow night will be grilled dove with a nice Burgundy. Can't wait.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:32 pm

A few strictly personal and subjective but far from all inclusive reactions to Pinot-food matchings. I find good Pinot, not the Syrah type, sings with meaty red Sockeye but is less charming with Chinook/King and other such paler salmon, which have more in common with trout. The same lean sort of Pinot works beautifully with seared rare Ahi Tuna, another red and meaty dish. Pinot of any sort and any other tannic red wine don't make the grade with ham. (The ideal ham-wine match might be a good low alcohol, dry Gewurtz of the Italian sort, but they aren't easy to find.) Pork is another matter, as depending on the sauce it can be wonderful with Pinot. The dark meat of chicken is perfect for Pinot; white meat OK but less so. Red meat in general does the trick but my encounters with beef, lamb and venison are often reserved for Bordeaux and other big reds; otherwise they are going to languish in my cellar forever. Pinot and game birds are sublime.
Previous