The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike / Palate Calibration exercise

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Open Mike / Palate Calibration exercise

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:14 pm

How about we go for the Penfolds Bin 28 2003 as a trial run. I was thinking next sunday (i.e. in a weeks time). I haven't got one myself, so will need to go and get a bottle (it should be easy enough). Is a week enough time, as two weeks time might be easier?

Still seeking ideas for other wines!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:17 pm

Isaac, I just came from town and noted that the supermarket I was in carried the Falesco Vitiano and Perrin stuff. Those should be real easy to find.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:26 pm

How about we take further suggestions up until the end of monday, then I'll attempt to put either a thread or poll up so people can advise which wines are easily accessible for them. We'll use the results to line something up for a more planned PCE than the upcoming Penfolds Bin28 trial run

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:29 am

We don't have Perrin reserve, only the La Vielle Ferme. Cafaggio's CC 2004 is available also, and I think also the Parallele 45, but that's it from Ian's list. If you decide any of these, I'd be happy to join! I surely will join in the trial run of 28 2003.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:56 am

Bin 28 is good for me!!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:14 am

OK
can we go with the trial run on 2003 Penfolds Bin 28 for two weeks time? -as next weekend we have a big tasting on the friday night and might not be drinking anything on the saturday.

Ideally quite a few of us can source it.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:46 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:OK
can we go with the trial run on 2003 Penfolds Bin 28 for two weeks time? -as next weekend we have a big tasting on the friday night and might not be drinking anything on the saturday.

Ideally quite a few of us can source it.

regards

Ian

Just bumping this up Ian. So it will be the Penfolds Bin 28? Great stuff. Wondering if the UK forum might be interested in somehow taking part. Wanna talk to Tom...and we will pass by Robin/Jenise here?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:37 am

Bob
Yes Penfolds Bin28 2003 on the weekend 17-19th November. I don't know that we should set a specific day (we all have lives outside of wine don't we? don't we :shock: ? :lol: ). I'll provisionally aim for Saturday, with the aim of holding some back for sunday chat.

UK forum? Perhaps something low key might be ideal - just some advance warning that we're doing it and to run a TN: thread over there that others could join in on if they took the bait. Sometime later it would be great to run a transatlantic PCE exercise, however I think it only fair to allow Robin and Tom to call the shots on such an exercise (in a way they're competitors, albeit I don't think either see it that way!).

I must go and source my bottle :idea:

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 am

Just bumping it up!! BTW what price are we paying for this wine? Over $30 Cdn in these parts. No discounts of course.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Isaac, I just came from town and noted that the supermarket I was in carried the Falesco Vitiano and Perrin stuff. Those should be real easy to find.
I'll check on it, but remember that we're in different states, and I'm in a somewhat smaller town than most. I'm sure I'd have no trouble in Portland or Eugene, but this is Corvallis.
Previous