The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 nice $20 ish Pinot Noirs (CA & Burgundy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 nice $20 ish Pinot Noirs (CA & Burgundy)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:59 am

A former student of Betsy's was in NYC, and wanted a lesson. Betsy invited her and her friend to dinner last night, and roasted a couple of chickens- Ming Tsai recipe for miso-citrus chicken with roast vegetables. He suggested California PN, I brought out a CA and a Burg

2005 Copain "L'automne" Pinot Noir

Now this is my style of California Pinot. Light and lively, bright California fruit balanced by good acidity. Raspberries and cherries, a little earth. Clearly a drink now style, nice balance, nice wine.B+

2002 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaune
I was a little worried this might have shut down as so many 2002s have, but while initially a little reticient it quickly blossomed in glass. Red cherry and plum fruit, violets and a bit of earth. Good finish, with smooth light tannins and nice acidity. More of a future than the Copain, but still quite nice right now. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: 2 nice $20 ish Pinot Noirs (CA & Burgundy)

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:14 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2002 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaune
I was a little worried this might have shut down as so many 2002s have. . . .

Dale--
Any thoughts on how long the '02s (or 1er or Grand Cru Burgs in general, to the extent it's possible to generalize) will need before waking up?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Clinton,
It would take someone brighter and more experienced than I to give a firm opinion. For one thing, 2002 is a ripe enough vintage that even the shutdown ones are not the tight acidic beasts some 1996s (and 1993s) are. I plan on trying the regional and village level wines in 2-3 years, most 1ers in 5, most GCs in 10. But that's subject to change according to chatter. One of the great things about the internet is being able to access so many people's opinions of how wnes are doing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Dale, agreed about the L'Automne which I discovered in a prior vintage. Didn't realize it had been a Copain product until recent experience with the premium Copains had me looking over the Copain website.

And that Pavelot--I bought a case of this for $3.99 a bottle in California last April. We slurped our way through quite a few bottles before common sense about the quality overcame price considerations and persuaded us to hold the rest for further development. Pretty big fruit and overall good structure for a Savigny.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:50 pm

Wow, $3.99 a bottle! This is normally a $20-25 bottling, but there was some dumping last year for $10-12. I never saw $4. I would assume there was some issue- maybe a distributor switch? Certainly the bottles I got were sound.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:59 pm

Yes, most likely a distributor dump considering all the other wines that were showing up around L.A. at that time. It was at a low-low end chain store that strangely benefits from such events and at which most of us wouldn't be caught dead at any other time. I was lucky to be in L.A. just then and lucky to stop in at an Orange County location that had this. My L.A. based friends never saw this one though they got other amazing bargains (one friend added over 400 other bottles to her cellar, she didn't miss much!) I also picked up some Montpertuis for the same price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:19 pm

Jenise, if you get another chance to get Montpertuis for 3.99 a bottle, would you just buy me a truckload. Wow....
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:27 pm

Oliver, I KNOW. Unfortunately there were only two bottles of Montpertuis left by the time I showed up, but at least there were two bottles. Point is that's just another example of the level of deals they were getting down there. Many of which walked out of these stores in the unsuspecting hands of people who can't afford to spend one more dime than 3.99 and who are used to wines that actually SHOULD cost 3.99--or less. I'll bet there were some surprised folks around the dinner table the night the Montpertuis went home.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:25 pm

Those are some serious closeouts. I guess the store normally deals in high volume and needs to move things in and out..

Many of the stores I frequent (Chambers, Dee Vine, KLWM) only give moderate closeout discounts, and are not afraid to leave things in the closeout bin for quite some time (in the case of Dee Vine, over a year!)..
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:30 pm

OW Holmes wrote:Jenise, if you get another chance to get Montpertuis for 3.99 a bottle, would you just buy me a truckload. Wow....

Some of us up here in your sister state(!!!), can only dream of prices like that.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:41 pm

Dale, agreed about the L'Automne which I discovered in a prior vintage. Didn't realize it had been a Copain product until recent experience with the premium Copains had me looking over the Copain website.

Copain also does a nice job with syrah in L'Hiver.

Diane, I somehow didn't get that they also had this label. I guess I was only reading up on the pinots. Do you speak French; what, if you know, does L'Hiver mean? Offhand, it sounds Armenian.... :)
Diane
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:49 pm

Do you speak French; what, if you know, does L'Hiver mean? Offhand, it sounds Armenian....

I don't know if this is an inside joke I'm not getting, but, L'Hiver means winter in French..
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:09 pm

No inside joke there, Rahsaan--I used to know an Armenian guy named Hive, that's all. Thanks for the translation.