The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pinot Grigio recommendations?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Pinot Grigio recommendations?

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Our wine group is meeting on the 17th, and the chosen varietal is Pinot Grigio, a wine I don't particularly enjoy and therefore don't know much about. I have a feeling many people will be bringing Santa Margarita, because I have heard that is one of the good ones. Can anyone steer me to another good one? It can be either American or Italian.

Many thank yous.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Pinot Grigio recommendations?

by James Roscoe » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Trimbach Pinot Gris, same grape, different style. You will like the Alsatian take on Pinot Grigio I'm betting.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:58 am

Pinot Gris/Chardonnay..Cline Calif.
Lurton PG Argentina.
Kim Crawford NZ.
Albrecht Alsace.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

EdmundsStJohn ElDorado PG...

by TomHill » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:15 am

A no-brainer...one of the best made anywhere. And it even ages amazingly well.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:24 am

Carrie L. wrote:Can anyone steer me to another good one? It can be either American or Italian.

The Alsace suggestion is good IF you're permitted to substitute Gris for Grigio. And I'm sure Steve Edmunds' bottling is worthy, although I haven't tried it.

If it needs to be Grigio, though, look for just about any Italian that specifically has either Collio or Colli Orientale as the DOC. Pinot Grigio is really best if you head for the hills.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:38 pm

Carrie, if it needs to be Italian, one that's pretty widely available and that will steal hearts away from the Santa Margherita (which I think is ridiculously overpriced) is Zenato's Pinot Grigio. It shows a little more oak, but that's why people tend to like it--it feels big and rich. And I would warn you away from any bottle from any producer in vintage 2003. Buy 04 or 05.
Last edited by Jenise on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:33 pm

IMO the best Pinot Grigio comes from the Alto Adige (also known as the Sudtirol). There are a number of excellent co-ops up there that are well distributed, such as Terlano, Termeno, Abbazia di Novacella.

Santa Margarita is a $4 supermarket wine in Italy that through a triumph of marketing has become $20 here. Not my first choice.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:37 pm

You've gotten some good suggestions, to which I'd only add:

1) If Pinot Gris is acceptable, there are some creditable versions from Oregon. King Estate comes to mind. Adelsheim may also bottle a PG. Montevina from Amador County (California) actually calls theirs Pinot Grigio, and while it's not great wine, it might give an interesting style contrast.

2) Of the widely available Italians, I'd say Ca Montini's "Aristocratico" offers far better value than Santa Margarita. It's a Trentino PG, IIRC. In my opinion, producers from Trentino, Alto Adige, and especially Collio (as Robin noted) do much better with this grape than those who label their wine "della Venezia."
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:19 pm

Great, just remembered that there is a very good Estancia Pinot Grigio. $???
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:23 pm

Carrie,

Try " Bottega Vinaia". Out of the Trentino-Alto Adige area (Northern Italy). You'll be surprised at the intensity compared to some of the more commonly known Pinot Grigios

About 18-19.00 / bottle

Richard
no avatar
User

Scott Hinson

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:48 pm

Austin, TX

by Scott Hinson » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:45 pm

Carrie, if it needs to be Italian, one that's pretty widely available and that will steal hearts away from the Santa Margherita (which I think is ridiculously overpriced) is Zenato's Pinot Grigio. It shows a little more oak, but that's why people tend to like it--it feels big and rich. And I would warn you away from any bottle from any producer in vintage 2003. Buy 04 or 05.

Excellent suggestion...you beat me to it. I had it for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping for reasonable priced wines for a dinner party for 20.

Scott
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:34 pm

Echoing the above comments, throw in some Alsatian versions and you'll have quite the contrast to the Northern Italian, as most are quite rich thick and tropical. Of course you could also host tastings entirely on the diversity within Alsatian PG, but, hey, so many ways to cut it..
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 pm

Mario Schiopetto is fantastic if you don't mind spending $30+. I also like Movia from Slovenia $25 ish. But Alsace is in a class by itself. Why even bother with domestic? -Not to offend all of the die-hard west coast Pinot Grigio lovers out there! :twisted:

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:52 pm

Yes. The Schiopetto is the most robust Pinot Grigio I have had by far. Do mix in some Pinot Gris from Alsace. Trimbach is a great choice as was previously mentioned. Then pick up a low end, light weight offering, like "Bella Sera", for comparison sake.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:58 pm

Very good and fairly priced (over here anyway) PGs have been Joseph Scharsch's from Alsace and Alois Lageder's from Alto-Adige. Both have nice minerality to them usually.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:46 pm

Had a pretty bad 2004 St Michael Eppan Pinot Grigio the other night.

Do not purchase that except to show people bland boring wine.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:47 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:IMO the best Pinot Grigio comes from the Alto Adige (also known as the Sudtirol). There are a number of excellent co-ops up there that are well distributed, such as Terlano, Termeno, Abbazia di Novacella.

Santa Margarita is a $4 supermarket wine in Italy that through a triumph of marketing has become $20 here. Not my first choice.

I second, third, at fourth Oliver's recommendation.

You can also find some fine Pinot Grigio from Friuli from either of the Felluga cousins and from Pighin (sp).

S. Margarita should be put out to the pasture that it tastes like...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Had a pretty bad 2004 St Michael Eppan Pinot Grigio the other night.

Do not purchase that except to show people bland boring wine.

I have to say that I think most people buy PG precisely because it is bland; it's the new Chardonnay in this respect, also in that it is only interesting when it is grown in very specific places. (I hear convincing rumors that much of the cheaper PG is helped along with Trebbiano Toscano, which can't help.)

Most N. Italian producers who make PG also make other varieties, and I almost always like them more than the PG. Pinot Blanc, for example, makes much more intesting wines than PG, especially in the Alto Adige. The named-site PBs from the Alto Adige can be scrumptious, eg the '02 Terlaner 'Vorberg' was excellent a year ago. Hell, the best Sylvaners are much more interesting, to complete the contrast with Alsace.
Last edited by Oliver McCrum on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:29 pm

Carrie, Since you are in California, I hope you can find this Oregon wine. It gets no closer to Kentucky than Ohio, yet it is my favorite US pinot grigio. Stone Wolf, makes nothing but fine wine, and their pg is nothing short of remarkable, IMO of course. Linda Lindsay and her hubby are the grape growers and wine makers and they do a fine job. if you can't find it where you are, call her or look at her web site here:
http://www.stonewolfvineyards.com/
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:42 am

Bob, thank you -- wish I would have seen your note sooner (my bad for not checking -- been working too hard lately.) It would have been perfect to have brought a good American Pinot Grigio. As it turned out, we had two American Pinots, three from Italy, and one from British Columbia. Far and away, two of Italians were the best, and the one from BC (Mission Hill) was very interesting (nose and taste overwhelmingly grape fruit). One of the American's was pleasant enough (Luna '05), but the other was just about down right undrinkable. I think it was Fetzer, but can't be certain -- I think I blocked it out.

Out of the three Italians, the best one was the Zenata that we brought (thank you Jenise). It really was quite good, and had that been one of my earlier Pinot Grigio experiences, I actually may have liked the stuff. Livio Felluga (from the Colli Orientali region--Robin's suggestion) was another that was quite good. Both of these had relatively full bodies which is what set them apart from the Americans. Someone brought Ecco Domani and that fell into the category of awful (very strange nose too).

Interestingly, no one brought Santa Margherita. :)

Thanks to all of you for your valued input!!