The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bordeaux - What's the Big Deal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: Bordeaux - What's the Big Deal

by Brian Gilp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
Covert wrote:Because many people consider the appreciation of Bordeaux to be somewhat intellectual

By comparison that would make the appreciation of Burgundy downright geeky!

Would any sane person argue something different. Those Burgheads are in a league of there own. Well maybe the AP number crowd is just as geeky.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:
Covert wrote:Because many people consider the appreciation of Bordeaux to be somewhat intellectual

By comparison that would make the appreciation of Burgundy downright geeky!

Would any sane person argue something different. Those Burgheads are in a league of there own. Well maybe the AP number crowd is just as geeky.

:lol:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Geeky me?!! I love Lot #s
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Ed might appreciate this, speaking of my personal evolution. When I lived in Columbus I drank beer watching go go dancers on High Street. For alternate evening fun, I donned a miner’s cap and with my 7-inch barreled, single action 44 magnum prowled the city dump blasting rats. I developed a lightning draw and deadly accuracy. Or, alternately, I climbed the 800-foot WBNS tower, while the thing was broadcasting, once in winter with only one glove, potentially explaining some of my altitude. I can’t tell him anything about fine wine stores there, but there was a great Harley Davidson dealership on Broad Street. :)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Covert wrote:I just want to say that if I drink a big, fruity Cal cab next to a Bordeaux, I will like the Cal cab better. In the same vein, I would be better off without a Victoria's Secret model in bed with my wife and me. You can't appreciate and intellectualize fine art when bombs are dropping on top of you. Why the Judgment of Paris happened. Power corrupts.

But the spiritual-like high I get from a fine Bordeaux sitting by the fire with some classical music playing softly in the background is way more profound and pleasurable than the exciting taste of a powerful, in-your-face, sweet New World red by itself at another time.

This discussion is really about apples and oranges.

I'm with you on some of this, but if you prefer California cabernet to Bordeaux when the two are drunk next to each other but prefer Bordeaux when drunk alone, that says a lot about you and your self-flagellating method of choosing wines! I'm more of a Burgundy person and there is no way (aside from random trickery or carefully selected ringers) that I prefer a silly West Coast pinot noir to a fine Burgundy.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I'm with you on some of this, but if you prefer California cabernet to Bordeaux when the two are drunk next to each other but prefer Bordeaux when drunk alone, that says a lot about you and your self-flagellating method of choosing wines! I'm more of a Burgundy person and there is no way (aside from random trickery or carefully selected ringers) that I prefer a silly West Coast pinot noir to a fine Burgundy.

How about a fine West Coast Pinot Noir and a silly Burgundy match-up, since you surely don't mean to imply that all Burgundy is `fine' and all West Coast PN is `silly,' do you???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Covert wrote:I just want to say that if I drink a big, fruity Cal cab next to a Bordeaux, I will like the Cal cab better. In the same vein, I would be better off without a Victoria's Secret model in bed with my wife and me. You can't appreciate and intellectualize fine art when bombs are dropping on top of you. Why the Judgment of Paris happened. Power corrupts.

But the spiritual-like high I get from a fine Bordeaux sitting by the fire with some classical music playing softly in the background is way more profound and pleasurable than the exciting taste of a powerful, in-your-face, sweet New World red by itself at another time.

This discussion is really about apples and oranges.

I'm with you on some of this, but if you prefer California cabernet to Bordeaux when the two are drunk next to each other but prefer Bordeaux when drunk alone, that says a lot about you and your self-flagellating method of choosing wines! I'm more of a Burgundy person and there is no way (aside from random trickery or carefully selected ringers) that I prefer a silly West Coast pinot noir to a fine Burgundy.

It's not so much that I prefer the Cal wine - I know I said that - it's more that the power of the Cal wine shuts the subtler Bordeaux down by comparison, like if you tried to enjoy a classical piano sonata with loud heavy metal playing alongside of it. If you liked the particular heavy metal piece at all, you couldn't help listening to it more than the classical music. But independently, you might appreciate and like the classical piece much more.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:40 am

James Dietz wrote:How about a fine West Coast Pinot Noir

Those would be the ringers :wink:
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:57 am

Covert wrote: It's not so much that I prefer the Cal wine - I know I said that - it's more that the power of the Cal wine shuts the subtler Bordeaux down by comparison, like if you tried to enjoy a classical piano sonata with loud heavy metal playing alongside of it. If you liked the particular heavy metal piece at all, you couldn't help listening to it more than the classical music. But independently, you might appreciate and like the classical piece much more.

I see it exactly the other way: for me a fine Bordeaux exposes the over-doneness and lack of elegance in many Cali Cabs. I suspect that for any well-matched (in terms of quality) pair of Bdx and Cali Cab, I would always prefer the Bdx.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Previous