The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Gerhard Al Alba Vinceró Riesling Kabinett Trocken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

WTN: 2004 Gerhard Al Alba Vinceró Riesling Kabinett Trocken

by wnissen » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:50 pm

2004 Gerhard Al Alba Vinceró Riesling Kabinett Trocken (Germany, Rheingau)

Should be in the $15 range at Dee Vine Wines. Pleasantly dry without being austere, this is Gerhard's seafood wine, and the chalky/eggshell notes come through loud and clear. Well, at least as loudly as possible in such a delicate wine. Normally I would go with white fish, but I'm not in charge of wine pairings this time, and Chef Kinch serves three different preparations of tuna. The braised tendon with ponzu and citrus is a cute little snack, and the almost beefy seared cheek bows politely to the Vinceró, but it is the "headcheese" that sings. A tartare of the meat from the head of a fatty tuna, it is mixed with sesame seeds and minced keiffir lime leaves. The lime leaves contrast perfectly with the Vinceró's purity, and my whole mouth feels like it's shining from within. Apologies for the hyperbole, but that's what it felt like. By itself, Very Good. With the right food, Excellent.

---

I'm a Gerhard fan (he's a terrific guy who makes terrific wine), but this wine and this pairing at Manresa really went over the top. Surprisingly, this wasn't even the best pairing with a Rheingau riesling of the evening!

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: 2004 Gerhard Al Alba Vinceró Riesling Kabinett Trock

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:34 am

wnissen wrote:2004 Gerhard Al Alba Vinceró Riesling Kabinett Trocken (Germany, Rheingau)this is Gerhard's seafood wine

What does that mean? His other wines don't go with seafood?
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Oh, not at all, though sometimes I find that a sweet Spaetlese can make the flesh of a delicate fish seem dry and otherwise negatively affect the texture. However, the flavor profile of the Vinceró does seem to be especially well-suited to fish and shellfish, like Muscadet.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:52 am

wnissen wrote:Oh, not at all, though sometimes I find that a sweet Spaetlese can make the flesh of a delicate fish seem dry and otherwise negatively affect the texture. However, the flavor profile of the Vinceró does seem to be especially well-suited to fish and shellfish, like Muscadet.

Walt

Ok, but yes, as you say, it all depends on the fish, sauce, etc..

1997 Spatlese and lobster was excellent the other week