The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Novy Family Wines Chardonnay Keefer Ranch Russian River Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

WTN: 2005 Novy Family Wines Chardonnay Keefer Ranch Russian River Valley

by James Dietz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:08 pm

• 2005 Novy Family Wines Chardonnay Keefer Ranch Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/8/2006)

Served very cold to begin with, and lots of tropical fruit flavors. As it warmed, this became very well balanced between fruit and acidity with no obvious oak. Very refreshing and went well with fish tacos and beans. Great value too. Another CA Chard I can drink and recommend.(91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 Novy Family Wines Chardonnay Keefer Ranch Russian River Valley

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:07 pm

Good to hear, Jim, I remember finding the first Novy chardonnay I tasted WAAY to ripe. I wondered then if same was inexperience with the grape or the way they really wanted the wine to turn out. Your note suggests that it was the former.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:19 pm

I've had two recent vintages, and I really have enjoyed them.. and at $18, a pretty good buy too.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Thanks. I meant to get some of this (I did get the Rosellas) but I ran out of money. I find the Novy chards enjoyable. Does the Keefer see any wood?

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:30 pm

According to the Novy website...

The Keefer Ranch Chardonnay was one of the last things picked in 2005 with the grapes being harvested on October 25, 2006 but at only 23 brix. For those of you into the numbers the pH was 3.35 and the TA a healthy .81g/liter. We settled the wine in tank for 2 days after pressing and then drained it, by gravity, to one new French oak barrel and one stainless steel barrel. Fermentation was done using indigenous yeasts and the wine was sulfured immediately upon its conclusion thus inhibiting malolactic fermentation in order to retain the wine’s refreshing natural acidity. The 2005 Keefer Chardonnay may be one of the most successful white wines we have produced to date. It is full of rich citrus fruits along with hints of butterscotch and vanilla from the oak. That oak is well balanced out, however, by the crisp natural acidity which helps the wine finish with a long, mouthwatering finish. This wine is wonderful with food but should only become more complex with some time in bottle.

I got no noticeable oak.. and I think the halting of ML made a huge difference too. Maybe what I perceived as some pineapple was from the oak.. don't know.. Very good stuff.
Cheers, Jim