The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Various Cuvaison

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Various Cuvaison

by Jay Labrador » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:51 pm

Notes from last night's Cuvaison tasting

Cuvaison Chardonnay 1998 - Yellow-green. Buttery, slightly rancid nose that blew off after some time. Oaky but soft. Good if you like oaky, buttery Chardonnay but tiring to drink for me.

Cuvaison Chardonnay 2003 - Fruity nose. Also oaky but not as strong as the '98. Maybe the fruit balances the oak better in this wine. Weaker in the finish than the '98 but more to my taste.

Cuvaison Pinot Noir 2003 - Good fruit, smoky with some rubber on the nose. Sweet strawberry fruit. Soft. Very nice but doesn't seem like an ager. Good for drinking now.

Cuvaison Syrah 2003 - Very dark. Intensely fruity nose. A little hot. Deep, concentrated. Long but soft finish. Well balanced with some potential for development with a bit more age.

Cuvaison Merlot 1997 - Caramel on the nose. Dark. Soft, developed wine. Long and still some tannins on the finish. Good balance. I don't think there's any more development to be had by aging.

Cuvaison Merlot 2001 - Fruity nose. Slightly cheesy undertone. Maybe slightly flawed? Lacks flavor in the mid-palate. Still a bit tannic on the finish. Can take a bit more aging.

Cuvaison Cabernet Sauvignon 1997 - Slightly hot. Remarkably young character. Still strong tannic grip. Fresh tasting. Very long finish. Needs more time to really show its stuff but a very good drink now. My favorite wine tasted.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Various Cuvaison

by Jenise » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 pm

Cuvaison in the Philippines! A winery that's been around forever, whose wines I rarely run into in the wild. When I do I always find them--well, the word 'sturdy' comes to mind. All the oak that you found in these no doubt explains why. They probably sell well to tourists, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: Various Cuvaison

by Randy Buckner » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:43 pm

Cuvaison is a solid winery from Napa Valley. If you like the oaky style of Chardonnay, they do a decent job. Their strength lies in their Cabernet Sauvignon IMHO.