Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rewarming pork loin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Rewarming pork loin

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Last night I roasted a pork loin, but we ate only a few slices, leaving the rest intact.

So, what's your ideas on rewarming it? Should I slice it or leave it intact? And what rewarming process would you recommend?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Rewarming pork loin

by John Tomasso » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:32 pm

It's going to be tough to rewarm without drying it out, but one trick I've seen used is to wrap the meat in lettuce leaves, then rewarm gently in a covered pan.
I hope you don't mind if the meat winds up tasting like lettuce :lol:

Seriously, it helps keep some moisture in.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:50 pm

Following up on John's advice, I'm thinking that something like a braise, rewarming it gently in a little broth or other savory liquid, might do the trick.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:36 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Last night I roasted a pork loin, but we ate only a few slices, leaving the rest intact.

So, what's your ideas on rewarming it? Should I slice it or leave it intact? And what rewarming process would you recommend?

In the restaurant we have always favored wrapping in romaine leaves. They are large, sturdy and don't impart flavor, but do retard drying out.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:37 pm

Chef Carey
Who says you can't learn something new everyday. Like Larry we will brine a pork loin, grill it to 135 and then tent it and it gets to 155. There is always some left. Do I understand you wrap it in romain and then do you put it in foil and then into the oven? I would think 350 degrees until the inside is 130 plus. It that it or are there more secrets.
Walt
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:04 am

wrcstl wrote:Chef Carey
Who says you can't learn something new everyday. Like Larry we will brine a pork loin, grill it to 135 and then tent it and it gets to 155. There is always some left. Do I understand you wrap it in romain and then do you put it in foil and then into the oven? I would think 350 degrees until the inside is 130 plus. It that it or are there more secrets.
Walt

Just the leaves, no foil - the temperature buildup can be intense inside foil, causing the meat to overcook. Just as we never "bake" a potato in foil. Otherwise your procedures sound just dandy. (Oh,and I do the foil tent myself on roasts for the resting time.)
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

No need to reheat it.

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:46 am

I would leave it as it is and thinly slice it in the mornings with some jelly. That's a very traditional Eastern European breakfast...
Alan Uchrinscko