The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: '86 Meyney, '04 Seghesio, '04 Fauna

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: '86 Meyney, '04 Seghesio, '04 Fauna

by Dale Williams » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:36 pm

Betsy announced dinner was "wine killer special" , with a very lemony pasta with spinach and mushrooms accompanied by Franey's asparagus vinaigrette. Aha, time to push the trusty "NZ SB" button. I had bought the
2004 Fauna Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough) partially based on name- I assume (with picture of bird) that the name is a little dig at the trend towards animal-named wines. A functional if unexciting SB- gooseberry fruit with just a hint of grapefruit and jalapeno. Maybe a tad short. Still, this was $8 before discount (looking at it another way, it was free as I used it as a case filler to get bigger discount on more expensive stuff), so probably worth the price. B-

Betsy made a nice if mild chili from the Fearrington House cookbook. There was a Zin on the counter, so we opened it. The 2004 Seghesio Zinfandel (Sonoma) was a pretty nicely balanced Zin- raspberry and blackberry fruit, some sweet oak vanilla milkshake (not a lot, an accent not a principal), nice finish. Nice Zin if not earthshattering. B

With coffee-rubbed steak (it ws amazingly warm for Nov today, we HAD to grill) and baked potatoes, a 375 of the1986 Ch. Meyney (St Estephe). I've always liked this wine, but was a little tentative re a 375. No need. Nice midweight wine, with clean blackcurrant fruit accented by cedar and ferric mineral notes. A little leather. There's a little bretty note of animal fur and manure that I haven't noticed in 750s, but not anything that bothers me. Nice wine, as always one of my favorite Meyneys (ties with '89). A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: '86 Meyney, '04 Seghesio, '04 Fauna

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:35 am

As usual, Seghesio will always catch my eye (as well as Pepiere), nice Zin eh Dale. You talk about brett, very apt as I have just tasted the `95 V Telegraph "Le Crau" downtown at the CdP tasting at local store. Loaded,lovely!!! Not all of my fellow tasters matched my enthusiasm!!
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am

Dale Williams wrote:. . . . With coffee-rubbed steak . . . .

Dale--
I know this was a hot topic on FLDG some time ago. How did you do yours? Freshly, finely ground coffee used as a dry rub?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm glad the '86 Meyney is still showing well. I think I still have a few 750s.
--Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Clinton,
I use a dry rub of coffee, cumin, kosher salt, sweet paprika, and a dash of pepper. Betsy likes even though she doesn't like coffee. It adds more of a nutty edge than coffeeish.