The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Graves, Aussie Sticky, Langhe, Alsace

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Graves, Aussie Sticky, Langhe, Alsace

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:45 pm

2000 Château Coucheroy Graves (Pessac-Léognan) Imp: Classic Wines 12.5% abv. An André Lurton wine made of a 50/50 blend of cab sauvignon and merlot and aged one year in oak (25% new).
Sip #1 on opening: Wow! This was sort of closed last time I had it but today the aroma is all deep animalistic, earthy, dark, ripe fruit. It’s full on the palate with moderate tannins and very ripe fruit flavors. While the flavor profile is good, the aroma is carrying the day.
Sip #2 (5mins later): Wha? The aroma is gone, and with it, most of the character of the wine has left as well. Now it’s just clean and fruity with a bit of toasty oak. eh..

NV Chambers Rutherglen Muscadelle/Tokay 18.5%. Golden brown, aromas of deep ripened fruit and honey. Tastes of dried figs and currants, nougat, honey, caramel and butterscotch. I haven’t had this since fairly early on in my wine-geek life and at the time I thought this had to be the best dessert wine known to man. Now I find it extremely sweet and acid deficient. It should work well topping some vanilla ice cream though.

1996 Guiseppe Mascarello Langhe Status (Piedmont) Shy at first then good whiffs of aged nebbiolo. It’s got dried flower, dried citrus elements mixed with a bit of tar. The palate is thinning with a goodly amount of acidity and well-integrated tannins. This bottle showed more past it’s prime that previous bottles although it’s still quite drinkable.

2001 Trimbach Riesling (Alsace) After the petrol nose, crisp green apple and lemon pith with good mineral undertone. Medium-full entry then refreshingly zingy acidity with lots of dry citrus on the back end. Very good for the basic bottling.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Graves, Aussie Sticky, Langhe, Alsace

by Saina » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Spoofulated stickies are a weakness of mine. I love sweet wines and the few times I've had the Chambers, I've loved it. I've never really been able to explain why I want extreme elegance in my table wines, yet like luscious, desserts with proportions the size of the ladies Rubens painted.

I don't find anything amazing about the Trimbach being so nice. I've thought that from their basic bottle all the way to Clos Ste. Hune they make stunning stuff. Except for their basic Riesling 2003 which was flabby (haven't tried any other of their 2003 line-up).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Graves, Aussie Sticky, Langhe, Alsace

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:25 pm

Spoofulated stickies are a weakness of mine
Can I interest you in a shiraz port? :P The Chambers was indeed very tasty with lots of nuance but the sugar:acid ratio didnt set well with me on this particular night. Seeing it "will keep well for months once opened" (so says the back label) I'll nip at it more this coming week.