The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Four Nice Chiantis/Chianti Blends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN Four Nice Chiantis/Chianti Blends

by Brian K Miller » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:42 am

Had another potluck dinner with friends. Pasta, salads, bread and good cheese. Happy conversation. A good time was had by all. (I hope)

Alessi Arcibaldo 1997: Very nice Supertuscan (Cab/Sangi): Still quite tannic, even decanted. Not a lot of nose, but nice black fruit with a lovely smooth leather backdrop. Quite nice-not a lot of info or tasting notes
on the web for this wine.

Riecine 1999 Chianti classico Riserva. THIS is the kind of Chinati I like. Lovely earthy nose. Dark fruit, again, with some nice black cherry. The leather and tobacco and earth was very nice, a little more interesting than the Arcibaldo, to me. WOFTN imo.

Podere il Pallzino Gosso Sanese 2003. Had an earlier vintage of this wine and enjoyed it. Quite nice, a little richer and heavier than the Riecine. I think this wine might show better in five years. I didn't quite like it as much as the previous one.

La Massa Giorgio Primo. Someone here mentioned this as "spoofified." It was rated very highly in WS. Very, very smooth and easily drinkable. Much softer than the other three wines, with less leather and tobacco. Some of the tasters rated this one the highest. It was nice, but a little bland to my tastes. Not really "sweet" to my palette (A Wine Spectator comment), although another taster noted a sweetness I missed. This might have showed better if tasted FIRST.

Not a bad evening at all! :lol: . I would probably buy three of the four wines again (although they are at the pricey end of Chianti). I probably would not buy the Giorgio Primo-way too expensive for a light quaffer
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: WTN Four Nice Chiantis/Chianti Blends

by Charles Weiss » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:15 pm

I think you are right about the Grosso Sanese needing more time. i've always liked the wine, though haven't tasted the 2003. My notes from a couple of good vintages follow.
Charles

• 1997 Podere il Palazzino Chianti Classico Grosso Sanese - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (5/29/2006)
    Color just starting to mature. Very ripe red fruits, a little bit of leather starting, beautiful balance. Manages to be plush and still be an elegant chianti. Drink now or hold, but can the future be any better than now?
  • 1995 Podere il Palazzino Chianti Classico Grosso Sanese - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico
    From 12/2000 . Still young, with pure and powerful expression of Sangiovese, mostly cherry and a little leather so far. Excellent potential.

Posted from CellarTracker
Charles Weiss