Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Microwaved Bacon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Microwaved Bacon

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:41 pm

OK, this might not be a revelation to anyone but me, but I have just discovered microwaved bacon for myself.

Always on the search for "bachelor vittles," i.e. fast, filling with little or no clean-up, I decided to put some bacon in the microwave. I laid two sheets of unprinted paper toweling down in a plate; placed the individual strips of bacon (not touching one another) on the toweling; covered these with another two sheets of toweling; and microwaved on high for four minutes. (I'm still experimenting with times.)

Well, lemme tell ya'! I have never had such crisp bacon in my life. I have rarely had such greaseless bacon. And all the strips lay perfectly flat next to one another ... no curling and evenly done on both sides. All the fat ended up pretty much in the toweling and could be disposed of easily. The plate wiped off in a sec.

Maybe I should have bought myself a "Microwaving for Dummies" book early on in life and spared myself all the trial and error! :roll:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Microwaved Bacon

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:59 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:OK, this might not be a revelation to anyone but me, but I have just discovered microwaved bacon for myself.

:lol:

This is one of the very few things I use my microwave for. Agreed.... nice to make just a couple slices with no fuss or mess.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Did you have trouble with the bacon sticking to the paper toweling? This is a major problem for me. I use the same method, but always have a few that stick so bad, it leaves bits of paper on the strips of bacon. Maybe I am over cooking the bacon, not allowing for the few minutes it will continue to cook once I take it out of the microwave.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:32 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Did you have trouble with the bacon sticking to the paper toweling? This is a major problem for me. I use the same method, but always have a few that stick so bad, it leaves bits of paper on the strips of bacon. Maybe I am over cooking the bacon, not allowing for the few minutes it will continue to cook once I take it out of the microwave.

So far I have not encountered that problem. I'm away this week so I cannot continue the experiment until next week, but I have done this at six, five and four minutes with no sticking to the paper at all. There is, however, a lot of fat in the paper which probably inhibits the sticking. Is your bacon very lean? The bacon strips will indeed stick to one another if they touch.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:28 am

Karen, two thoughts:

1. The type of paper towel can make a difference -- I use store brands without the fluff that you find in Bounty, for example.

2. I also found that cooking it at a lower heat setting and longer helped reduce the stickiness, that and putting only one sheet of paper underneath the bacon -- all on a plate of course.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Microwave bacon saved my, uh...bacon.

My wife hates the mess the real stuff makes on the stove top so for years we never had bacon in our kitchen. When the microwave stuff came along we compromised and I get to have the occasional BLT sandwich again :D
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:36 pm

TimMc wrote:so for years we never had bacon in our kitchen

Grounds for divorce, surely. :wink:
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:45 am

Shhhh....

Don't let my wife hear you.

:wink:
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:41 pm

This is AMAZING!!
For the last several years I've been cooking bacon according to Jenise's method in the oven. I thought that was revoluntionary. But Microwave?? Had some this morning - bacon smoked and sliced at the neighborhood butcher - perfectly crispy, non-greasy, not curled just delicious. If I didn't have a microwave, I'd buy one just for this. :lol:
Howard
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:57 pm

Howard wrote:This is AMAZING!!
For the last several years I've been cooking bacon according to Jenise's method in the oven. I thought that was revoluntionary. But Microwave?? Had some this morning - bacon smoked and sliced at the neighborhood butcher - perfectly crispy, non-greasy, not curled just delicious. If I didn't have a microwave, I'd buy one just for this. :lol:

It was a revelation and epiphany for me as well. That's why I started the thread ... out of pure jubilation!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:07 am

I loved microwave bacon. But it's time consuming and labor intensive when you need enough to serve a family. For that, the oven method excels IMO.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:23 am

For that, the oven method excels IMO
I had never tried the oven method until this weekend when we had 10 family members over for brunch. Wow, I love it! Quick, easy cleanup (I used toss away pans...for shame!), and very very tasty.