The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

CTN: Pierre Ferrand Cognac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

CTN: Pierre Ferrand Cognac

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:09 am

Cognac Tasting Note
We went to a wine tasting and ended up having the most fun at a cognac table. A rep from Pierre Ferrand was pouring 5 selections, all 1er Cru de Cognac (Grande Champagne). It was really nice to taste through this portfolio with a very engaging rep as I know so little about cognac.

Ambre (aged 10yrs in old oak) - This was lightest in coloring of the set and was a bit hot on my palate. (Maybe because I had just finished tasting a couple dozen assorted whites and reds). Fairly delicate flavors but not interesting enough to buy. $40

Reserve (20yrs) - The is very good. Complex, elegant, very fresh aromas, and fairly pronounced fruit. I'd equate this to a very good Highland malt without the peat presence. As a side note, I didnt realize that cognac evaporates at 4-4.5% per year compared to single malts at ~1%. $60

Cigare (25yrs) - Whoa, this is huge. Ferrand constructed this cognac to pair with their PF Havana Reserve cigar. It's big and it's bold. Very nice drink on its own but it's a bruiser. $90

Selection des Anges (30yrs) - This is wonderful. Fully mature, elegantly complex profile of vanilla, a splash of tangerine, anise, and dry honey. Softly spiced on the finish. $120

Abel (45yrs) - And i thought the last one was elegant! Wow, this cognac is so delicate, so nuanced, but so very persistent. Heavenly. $260