The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vino Piazza and Boitano Family Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Vino Piazza and Boitano Family Wines

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:28 am

<table><tr><td valign="top" width="35%">Just a quick note before I hop on a plane to Dallas. Despite the rain yesterday, we ventured over to the Vino Piazza in Lockeford, CA to attend a release party put on by Boitano Family Wines. Lockeford, by the way, is right next to Lodi.

Vino Piazza is always fun. The Old Lockeford Winery has moved along with its archeological museum into larger digs which is kind of neat. And, of course, there are about 12 wineries pouring there.

As to the release party itself, well it was just a lot of fun. Bob Boitano, that's the fellow at the bottom with the wine thief and the barrel, brought about 17 different wines to taste. Outstanding was his '05 "49'er Blend" which is 49% Petite Sirah and 51% Barbera. This was still in the barrel and I will probably buy some futures of this one. My old standby the Santano Beaujolais-style Sangiovese was as good as ever and I was introduced to what Bob has named "Good Ol' Red," another blend.

What's distinctive about Bob's wines is that they are honest, never very oaky, and always seem to betray their Lodi and Amador origins in a wonderful way. (I think his prices are creapin' up, but ...)

Well, they are still going full steam ahead today, 11/12, from noon until 5:00 p.m. There's food and a live band, too. The weather's supposed to be nice. I'd certainly like to drop on in again, but I have to drag my carcass to the airport.

I apologize up front for poor editing due to lack of time.

</td><td valign="top" width="35%">Image
Image</td></tr></table>
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Vino Piazza and Boitano Family Wines

by Brian K Miller » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:28 am

Sounds like fun. I haven't hit Lodi over the past couple of years since I started drinking wine. Have to check it out. I like Pets, too
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Vino Piazza and Boitano Family Wines

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:25 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Sounds like fun. I haven't hit Lodi over the past couple of years since I started drinking wine. Have to check it out. I like Pets, too

Your best bet to get to know the Lodi wineries is just around the corner. On 12/2 and 12/3, they will be holding the annual Winter Wine Wander. The event runs from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday which I find a bit brief. The tickets are good for two days, but if you're only going on one, then it's worth your while to plan it carefully. Most places have good munchies (see the link to the participating wineries) and, at the risk of sounding old, dowdy and geeky, the bellringers at Lucas Winery are really killer. They put on a truly moving performance. You can also meet my buddies from Mokelumne Glen (pouring at the Lodi Wine & Visitor Center) and taste their unique German collection wines (Kerner, Lemberger and Dornfelder).