The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: First post with Champagne, Loire etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Sweden

WTN: First post with Champagne, Loire etc

by Daniel K » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:07 pm

I've posted on the old Netscape forum, but then work got in the way so for the last couple of months I've had little time for wine and even less time for forums.
So let's start of with some misc notes, some are recent, others a few months old.

N.V. Krug Champagne Grande Cuvée:

Fantastic scent of chocolate, nuts, mushrooms, mineral and later on roses. Not completely mature, but almost. Rich flavor and a very long aftertaste. Even better after 30 min or so in the glass, more evolved very complex. Fantastic!

Moët Chandon 1966
A lovely golden color that turned into amber after a few minutes in the glass. First impression: incredibly fresh with Lot's of bubbles.
Of course fully evolved and mature in both nose and taste, mushrooms and aged wood came to mind. A little sweetness on the palate. As a whole a nice experience, perhaps a little thin but very enjoyable. I should also add that this bottle was as near perfect you can get. Now if i could only get to try the Dom P -66 to compare.

Langlois-Château Saumur Vieilles Vignes 2002(Loire)
Chenin Blanc
At first a very subdued nose with, mineral and lemon. After 20-30 min or so it's more evolved with notes of wet straw and wool. Very little fruit but a lot of mineral on the palate and of course a high acidity. Much better day 2, more of everything. Still, a little disappointing i was hoping for more. I'll try it again in a year or so.

Langlois-Château Saumur Vieilles Vignes 1990

This is why I'm keeping a few bottles of -02!
A nice golden color. Lot's of pineapple and even some strawberries on nose and palate. At it's peak, perhaps even over the hill but i liked it.

1995 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
Day1) Very simple with chocolate and berries on nose and palate. A disappointment, on day 2 however much better. More complex, earth and bacon stands out on the palate, nice tannins.

2003 Flowers Pinot Noir Andreen-Gale Cuvée Sonoma Coast
Nice soft Pinot, cherries, raspberries and earthy aromas as well as taste. Long finish very smooth, silky and still there's something missing. Not bad at all, but perhaps a little to much, for my taste.
The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: First post with Champagne, Loire etc

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:44 pm

Welcome over here, Daniel.

How long was the Chave open before you commented on it on the first day? I'm glad it showed more for you after some air time.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Daniel, good to see you back and posting! I love old Champagne. Well stored bottles of good producers in good vintages are incredibly fresh. We recently had a Bollinger 1955 which was given blind. The oldest guess as to the year was 1989! IIRC the 60's were great for Moët, so I'm not surprised that your bottle was so nice.

The Chave sounds modern! Yikes! Gladly the 2002 that I recently tasted was fine and typical - if a bit light of course from a rainy year, but still a great wine.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Sweden

by Daniel K » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:27 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Welcome over here, Daniel.

How long was the Chave open before you commented on it on the first day? I'm glad it showed more for you after some air time.

For a few hours, not decanted though.
no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Sweden

by Daniel K » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:30 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Daniel, good to see you back and posting! I love old Champagne. Well stored bottles of good producers in good vintages are incredibly fresh. We recently had a Bollinger 1955 which was given blind. The oldest guess as to the year was 1989! IIRC the 60's were great for Moët, so I'm not surprised that your bottle was so nice.

The Chave sounds modern! Yikes! Gladly the 2002 that I recently tasted was fine and typical - if a bit light of course from a rainy year, but still a great wine.

Bollinger 55 ehh. Sounds nice, do you have any posted notes?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:25 am

Thanks for the notes, Daniel.

Some folks were griping about a perceived decline in quality at Krug, but the latest release of the NV (which I assume you had) is enough to convince me otherwise.

Thanks for the note on the Chave as well; is JL Chave usually something you dig?

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Sweden

by Daniel K » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:05 pm

JoePerry wrote:Thanks for the notes, Daniel.

Some folks were griping about a perceived decline in quality at Krug, but the latest release of the NV (which I assume you had) is enough to convince me otherwise.

Thanks for the note on the Chave as well; is JL Chave usually something you dig?

Best,
Joe

Hi Joe
I can only assume it was the latest release. I've also read reports of the "decline" at Krug, but since this was the first time(but not the last) I had the NV, I have nothing to compare it with. I wonder what it was like a few years ago?

The Chave was also a first for me and I wouldn't hesitate to try/buy a few other vintages. Any recommendations?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:58 pm

Welcome Daniel.

I see no decline at Krug. I think folks miss the old label.
Decisions are made by those who show up