Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchen Remodel Help.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Kitchen Remodel Help.

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 am

Jenise wrote: Here they are and while I'm at it, I'm throwing in some before and after pics so y'all get a sense of the scale of remodel we did here. It IS a brand new space.

WANT!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Nice photos, Jenise! What wood did you go with for those cabinets?

It's hickory, Mike, used sideways to get a lateral movement in the grain and stained with golden oak to keep it light and warm while killing the pinkish tendencies of that wood completely. Definitely anti to current trends, but the kitchen is so wide-open that I hoped lighter woods would make the transitions between more seamless.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Jenise, your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous. Bob Marley Cat aint so bad either!

Marley is one of those adorable (and sometimes) annoying cats who just has to be in the middle of what you're doing. Proof that cats are not aloof.

Thanks re the kitchen. The photos just make the point that a pot rack doesn't have to be a country look. And look at that old kitchen, can you believe I thought I could live with that when I bought this house? It was 13 x 12, with a huge island in the middle and narrow walkways around it in which two persons could not pass each other. We were, literally, always going in circles. The new kitchen's 13 x 25.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the photos Jenise. What a great makeover ! Looks like a double U footprint with at least 5 possible work areas. More than enough for multiple cooks. I understood some of it as you posted in realtime but the photos put it all together for me. Very nice.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Christina, yes. Double-U sounds about right though I never looked at it like that. The principal work area is opposite the stove and on the other side of the eating bar. All my tools for mixing/slicing/scraping/plucking/washing just about anything are located under the 5' wide wood chopping counter. Because the sink and trash are also there, once I assemble my ingredients, I rarely leave it. If we have guests over they can sit and chat while I continue prep. I sometimes cook and serve by the course, short order style. The peninsula is wide enough (about 40") to support several efforts. I stage finished dishes as well as anything needing cooling or resting, and I plate there. (The warming drawer is directly oppose between the wine cabinet and the big prep counter.) It's also where we set up for pasta making and other big projects. It's also the staging for clean-up, and the U that's NOT the stove is the cleanup station. Whoever's working in there is completely out of the way of any ongoing cooking or table-clearing. It's not the classic work triangle, it's BETTER. But I did have the rare advantage of so much space (without the advantage of lots of walls to put things on). More to that, there's also a 6' x 13' walk in pantry to the right and out of view of the "right side of the kitchen". In the last view, you can see the opening to the right and rear of the refrigerator.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 am

Very multifunctional even though you have evolved designated function areas they can easily be rearranged depending on the situation. I love that kind of design. Space is not the essential component. Function and efficiency are paramount
Is that a different floor surface in front of the stove ? I find that lots of counter space on BOTH sides of the cook top also very functional for two cooks or for sequencing i.e. ingredients on one side and finished product out on the other to waiting plates.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Very multifunctional even though you have evolved designated function areas they can easily be rearranged depending on the situation. I love that kind of design. Space is not the essential component. Function and efficiency are paramount
Is that a different floor surface in front of the stove ? I find that lots of counter space on BOTH sides of the cook top also very functional for two cooks or for sequencing i.e. ingredients on one side and finished product out on the other to waiting plates.

Yes, very multifunctional. I seem to often have a kitchen full of cooks as well as several projects going at once and knew that a kitchen that provided for one also provided for the other. Yet I needed an efficient primary work space for just myself. It has not only worked out as well as I hoped it would, I'm even happier with it than I thought I'd be. My enthusiasm-of-anticipation might have been lightly dampened by architects, my own as well as a friend, not liking my peninsula very much. Such an interruption in travel, they thought, to have to go around it. Neither they nor their wives cook(ed) the way we here talking about it do, so beyond the standard rules of thumb they had no real idea what a way-above-standard book wants or needs. I just couldn't do without the extra surface and storage so insisted on it anyway, sure it would be a trade-off I'd prefer; and of course, as it turns out there were no trade-offs. Every single aspect of what I chose is an advantage except for the fact that it added two more dreaded lower corner cabinets at the peninsula.

Yes, I put slate tile in front of the stove. Didn't want grease all over the wood floor. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Jenise wrote:It's hickory, Mike, used sideways to get a lateral movement in the grain and stained with golden oak to keep it light and warm while killing the pinkish tendencies of that wood completely. Definitely anti to current trends, but the kitchen is so wide-open that I hoped lighter woods would make the transitions between more seamless.

We'll have to take a look at that. We were planning on going with doug fir cabinets but were just told that they don't age well at all. That's left us in a quandary as we don't want oak and we want something lighter than cherry.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
We'll have to take a look at that.

Mike,
FWIW, we have hickory cabinets and like them a lot. Very durable.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Jay Mazzoni wrote:I would suggest paying close attention to lighting. Our kitchen tends to be a gathering place for guests, so K wanted some subdued "mood" lighting for entertaining. That didn't work so well when prepping food before the guests arrive. I suggest having task lighting in specific prep areas. With overhead lighting consider shadows that might be cast in prep areas and plan accordingly to minimize such shadows.

We have a garbage receptacle (and recycling bin) in a pullout "drawer" beneath the counter where we do most of the prep. That's really handy because you can just pull out the drawer and scrape stuff right off the counter into the trash, plus it keeps the trash receptacle out of view.

JAY!!!!How long has it been man? I don't think I have heard anything from or abut you in some years....maybe not since the dinner with Hoke at Judge Roy Beans! I don't come here nearly as often as I used to, guess it is burnout. Now if only some of the other real old timers who have left would come back and maybe I could too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Cabinets have been ordered, contractor selected and we anticipate a start date in mid-April with completion by the end of May. Most of the tough decisions have been made/addressed, but.....

We're still dithering about quartz vs. granite counters. We are off to yet another wholesaler tomorrow.
HELP! (Obviously, the counters will drive the decisions on the floor tile and backs plash, so we need to get our act together pretty soon.)

'Winger

Mike, How is your project coming along?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Redwinger wrote:Cabinets have been ordered, contractor selected and we anticipate a start date in mid-April with completion by the end of May. Most of the tough decisions have been made/addressed, but.....

We're still dithering about quartz vs. granite counters. We are off to yet another wholesaler tomorrow.
HELP! (Obviously, the counters will drive the decisions on the floor tile and backs plash, so we need to get our act together pretty soon.)

'Winger

Mike, How is your project coming along?

We've pretty much decided on quartz. It's durable and comes in colors and patterns that we prefer over granite, given that we want very light colored counter tops. We did go to a couple of granite places and I was struck by some of the amazing pieces of stone we saw. They really looked like they ought to be hanging over a very large mantel rather than made into counters.

Ours is plodding along. The one consultant we had decided we were getting over her head (she's more into color and decor than kitchen design) so she hooked us up with yet another designer. We do like this one better than the others we've worked with as she is taking the fact that we cook and bake into consideration. The others have tended to just throw together a design based on what's popular these days and they haven't suited us. She and a couple of contractors were by about an hour ago to look things over, take a few measurements, and start discussing some options. We're hoping to get started within a month or so, but we'll see.

We've also had a lighting person put together plans for that.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We do like this one better than the others we've worked with as she is taking the fact that we cook and bake into consideration. The others have tended to just throw together a design based on what's popular these days and they haven't suited us.

Very important distinction. My architect made a face every time I'd start a sentence with "What I need is...." He didn't want to hear it. And when I dumped one of his clevernesses in order to add eight drawers, and he responded with "But you already have more drawers than most people!", well that was the end. His "most people" would be people with small kitchens and no particular desire to cook. He made no effort to understand what I, his client, actually needed. Jerk.

Glad to hear you've found someone that's working for YOU. Take pictures!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 am

UPDATE:

The contractor and the "lighting lady" just left Casa Redwinger. I must say that at least through the planning stages the contractor has been great to work with...very patient and doesn't seem to get flustered when we make slight changes.

I think most of the major decisions, aside from the back splash have been made:
- Floor plan finalized
- Cabinets are on order and should be delivered in 6-8 weeks
- Tile flooring selected
- Lighting 80% decided
- Appliances
- Granite for counters selected. The gold in the stone really accents our hickory cabinets and the lighter tones should help brighten up the room. Here's a pic:

New Colonial Gold Granite.jpg

We still hope to "break ground" in mid to late April.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am

Wow, that's gorgeous Bill. GREAT choice. Isn't picking out granite fun?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Jenise-
The granite shopping is indeed fun. Some slabs of the very $$$ stuff look like they would be quite at home hanging as a piece of art on a wall....just breathtaking.
The lesson we learned was to never shop for granite without having a sample of cabinetry and flooring with you. On our first trip to the importer/wholesaler, we went empty handed and made a few preliminary choices. When we came back a few days later with tile and cabinet fronts we immediately saw these preliminary choices were simply "OK", but didn't "pop". The process went more smoothly once we came adequately prepared...an important lesson learned.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Beautiful stone, Bill. Can't wait to see the "after" photos with it in place.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Redwinger wrote:Jenise-
The granite shopping is indeed fun. Some slabs of the very $$$ stuff look like they would be quite at home hanging as a piece of art on a wall....just breathtaking.
The lesson we learned was to never shop for granite without having a sample of cabinetry and flooring with you. On our first trip to the importer/wholesaler, we went empty handed and made a few preliminary choices. When we came back a few days later with tile and cabinet fronts we immediately saw these preliminary choices were simply "OK", but didn't "pop". The process went more smoothly once we came adequately prepared...an important lesson learned.

I went to look at granite for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was also floored by some of the pieces that are out there. Like you, Bill, I kept picturing them hanging above a fireplace and stuff like that.

Sounds like good advice on bringing the cabinet samples. I'll do that when we get serious about buying our countertops.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm

I've also had that sort of experience looking for marble for a bathroom counter. It is great fun.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:27 am

Carrie L. wrote:
John F wrote:Jenise/Carrie
We are also looking in to renovating a kitchen back in the US this year. Do you like or use the griddle much? Carrie I see you had French Toast issues. We have one o our Viking at the beach and I think I have used it once. It looks like it should be a great feature, but in the end isn't. On the other hand, I had a neighbor at the beach who had one blackened from heavy use - don't think his was a Viking.

Hi John. I don't use the griddle much. I suppose if we were big breakfast eaters, we would. Just the occasional Sunday
morning French toast or pancakes. As I said, it cooks pretty unevenly and takes quite a while to heat up. Maybe if I used it more, I would get the hang of it, but there would definitely be the need to move things around so they would cook evenly.
I have a huge (and I mean huge) Italian frying pan that is semi-nonstick that I use for almost everything that I would use the griddle for. It's my most-used cooking vessle.

Carrie

Any chance you can post a pic of this Italian frying pan?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:32 am

Wow, went back over this thread and can't believe that I actually thought we were going to get started on this last March. :roll: Since then, we had a designer fire us (as clients!), picked up a new one, and have a new design that involves moving the kitchen to the area that's behind the current one and then installing a butler's pantry in some of the vacated space. A bathroom will be moved as well. I think my wife and I have a communication issue - we seemed to have a very hard time getting what we want across to the designer. He finally came through after about eight different plans and got us something that eliminates a lot of current problems. It gets us a slightly larger kitchen, doesn't wreck the feel of the house, and will be much better for entertaining. It's the first design we've seen (from about six different designers) that is significantly better than just keeping the current kitchen with its many problems. He's going to draw up detailed plans next and we'll start looking at materials.

Um, no predictions for a start date, though...

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 am

Mike-
Have you selected a contractor yet? You cannot vet these guys enough and I'm convinced the fewer subs involved the better from a command and control perspective.
BP
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:40 pm

You must be very difficult to work with. I've only ever had to fire two clients in my life. ;)

Good luck with the new design!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Wow, went back over this thread and can't believe that I actually thought we were going to get started on this last March. :roll: Since then, we had a designer fire us (as clients!), picked up a new one, and have a new design that involves moving the kitchen to the area that's behind the current one and then installing a butler's pantry in some of the vacated space. A bathroom will be moved as well. I think my wife and I have a communication issue - we seemed to have a very hard time getting what we want across to the designer. He finally came through after about eight different plans and got us something that eliminates a lot of current problems. It gets us a slightly larger kitchen, doesn't wreck the feel of the house, and will be much better for entertaining. It's the first design we've seen (from about six different designers) that is significantly better than just keeping the current kitchen with its many problems. He's going to draw up detailed plans next and we'll start looking at materials.

Um, no predictions for a start date, though...

Mike, I have worked with the same designer/contractor for almost 20 years. We have done this house over entirely, including the yard. She hires the best subs and each must have the same work ethic that she does or she will not work with them. What I like about her is that she works with what WE want and does not try and push her wants on us. She knows how to handle each of us. When we did our kitchen remodel, I had to put up with my husband who did not want to push the kitchen wall out 6 ft. He told me it could not be done, because there was outside faucet on the wall we were going to use for part of the kitchen. Of course I knew better but also knew that he thought I didn't know about that kind of stuff. I explained to my husband that our family was growing (grandkids) and I wanted enough room to put up another table for the children, plus have more room to move about. My designer handled it beautifully and I got my bigger kitchen. From then on she handled him for other projects and most recently our two new bathrooms.

We always have full contracts with her, start dates, what will be accomplished on each day, who will be here and at what time. Each day, she drops by to check on things. If I have an issue, it gets handled immediately. She orders all material for the remodel before the job starts. If a product is late in arriving, she works around it. She has always finished ahead of schedule. Call backs for issues are handled immediately and her subs call to let us know when they are coming by to fix it.
Oh and by the way....I am very fussy about my home. All her subs wear disposable shoe covers, plus plastic and canvas are put down on all floors leading in and out of the work areas. If any damage is done, it gets fixed.
Just make sure you have a good contract. We pay a down payment prior to start date so she can order product, payment is made in intervals but we hold out 10% of the entire job until we are satisfied and all call backs for any issue is done to our satisfaction.

Communication between man and wife can be difficult during remodels. Gene knows that if I can't have what I want, I will not want anything. I am not unreasonable, and I do keep budget in mind. However he is still a man and if is not his idea, he tends toward rejection.
PreviousNext