The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

'02 Daumas Gassac: How long would you decant it?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

'02 Daumas Gassac: How long would you decant it?

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Picked up some of the 2002 Mas de Daumas Gassac (Vin de Pays de l'Hérault) on the weekend, and the lady at Vintages said that an hour of decanting should be enough to bring this baby out of its youthful slumber. Given that I've gotten spotty advice even from Vintages staff over the years, I was wondering what some of you folks would suggest for decanting. I would expect the '02 to be somewhat closed now, but the thing is that I am going to open one anyway for Easter weekend as we gather around and watch Mondovino again.

Any thoughts?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: '02 Daumas Gassac: How long would you decant it?

by Saina » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Paul B. wrote:Picked up some of the 2002 Mas de Daumas Gassac (Vin de Pays de l'Hérault) on the weekend, and the lady at Vintages said that an hour of decanting should be enough to bring this baby out of its youthful slumber. Given that I've gotten spotty advice even from Vintages staff over the years, I was wondering what some of you folks would suggest for decanting. I would expect the '02 to be somewhat closed now, but the thing is that I am going to open one anyway for Easter weekend as we gather around and watch Mondovino again.

Any thoughts?

Well, I tasted this at a trade tasting a while back (half a year or so IIRC, I don't think it was even bought to Finland by then, this was just an odd bottle floating around the Finnish importer). I thought it surprisingly evolved and very open. I really don't know what's happened to it in the ½ year, but based on my experience and what you were told I would trust the Lady at Vintages. Depends on how many are drinking it of course - if just a few, I think the hour is fine as it will also develop in glass (always interesting, IMO), but if afraid it will still be tight, decant more as it will easily stand air. By the time I got my taste it had been open for about 1½ hours and it was fine.

I hope someone with more recent experience will chime in as re-reading my post makes it seem very ambiguous and of little use :(
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: '02 Daumas Gassac: How long would you decant it?

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:20 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I hope someone with more recent experience will chime in as re-reading my post makes it seem very ambiguous and of little use

Otto, that's not how I perceive it at all - I thank you for your input. Really, it is very helpful as I had no bearings surrounding the status of the '02 at all, so this is a helpful indicator.

Thanks again.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Pre-thread Message

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:44 am

Paul B....BTW the Henry of Pelham `04 Reserve Baco Noir est arrive!!!