Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Israwinexpo Israel Wine Expo 2012

by David Raccah » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Normally Rogov would be writing about this wine event as it is only once every two years, and according to Daniel, it was one of the two best wine events. They have not yet listed the wineries that will be part of this event. Personally, these wine tasting coupons are EVIL! If you want to charge me 20, 40, 60, 100 bucks - OK, but to charge me per drink - after I already pay you 60 or 70 sheck, that is busted. I guess they do it to limit the "drinking" and encourage tasting or moderation. Either way, it is a wonderful event - so make it your job to be there!!!

http://www.fairs.co.il/israwinexpo/inde ... nguage=eng

The ISRAWINEXPO exhibition management takes pleasure in inviting you to come and visit at the international wine exhibition in Israel, which takes place every two years.

The ISRAWINEXPO exhibition is organized by the Israel Trade Fairs & Convention Center in cooperation with the Israeli Wine Magazine and The Grape-Man Wine Center and is sponsored by the The Israel Export and International Cooperation Institute.

The exhibition will take place at the Israel Trade Fairs Center in the Tel Aviv Exhibition Gardens, from February 21-23, 2012.

ISRAWINEXPO is an international professional exhibition providing a meeting place for the wine industry, for wine-makers, importers, investors, buyers, restaurateurs, food and beverage managers, barmen and sommeliers, decision makers, journalists and leading wine purchasers from around the world as well as for the general public of wine lovers.

A wide range of wines and wineries from Israel and around the world will be on display at the exhibition, with emphasis on Israeli wines. In addition, equipment and accessories for the wine sector will be on display, as well as a special enclave of gourmet food.

Visiting hours for the ISRAWINEXPO 2012 exhibition:
For the professional public only:
February 21, Tuesday from 12:00-22:00
Entry by personal invitation only
Wine tasting on this day will be free of charge.

For the general public:
February 22-23, Wednesday and Thursday, from 16:00-23:00
Entry fees will be charged for the exhibition.
Wine tasting by coupons only
Entrance fees:
Pre-purchase at the exhibition site: NIS 59
Purchase at the box office: NIS 70
The ticket includes: entrance to the exhibition + 10 wine tasting coupons.
Additional wine tasting coupons can be purchased at the box office.

Exhibition Categories:
· Various types of wine
· Gourmet food
· Equipment and accessories for the wine industry
· Professional literature and journals
· Studies and professional courses

List Of Wineries

For further information please contact:
Ms. Dganit Aharonov - Exhibitor Maneger
Tel: +972-3-6404415
E-mail: dganit@fairs.co.il
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Israel

Re: Israwinexpo Israel Wine Expo 2012

by Alexander F » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi David,
Thanks for posting. Indeed an event worth attending, but as always with such public events, be there early b4 the crowds, as Rogov used to suggest. The coupons are somewhat annoying. However, two years ago I left the event with a bunch of unused coupons after I tasted 30-40 wines. My practice was waiting for someone asking a coupon. Many wineries didn't care, but we'll see how it's gonna be this time.
As last time I completely skipped all the imports, this time I'll put more attention to it. Hope there will be enough spit buckets and not too much crowd at the opening, otherwise any tasting will be quite inefficient after a dozen of wines.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:02 am

For those attending IsraWine Expo next week, here is a link with some general tips on making the most of large-scale tastings and most important, a list of the wineries and the wines being poured (Hebrew): http://www.foodis.co.il/feature.asp?sec=9&featid=28419. For further planning purposes, a map of the exhibition and the wineries: http://www.fairs.co.il/israwinexpo/files/gallery/MAP_EN_TM.jpg.

While many of these wines were poured at the Sommelier Expo, there are plenty of new wines and vintages to get excited about including the new Ramot Naftaly Barbera 2010 and the Malbec which he wasn't pouring at Sommelier. Yarden's 2005 Syrah in Magnum format (hopefully we get lucky and the Rom 2008 and new dessert T squared make an appearance (based on the T2 but fortified), Tanya barrel samples and many others.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Yossie H wrote:(hopefully we get lucky and the Rom 2008 and new dessert T squared make an appearance (based on the T2 but fortified), Tanya barrel samples and many others.

Yossie, will you attend?
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Who will be attending?
Last edited by Yossie Horwitz on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:52 pm

I'll be there tomorrow but unfortunately wont make it before 4pm as I've a critical meeting in Jerusalem at 2.30. I'll try and attend as well either/both Wed' and Thursday if possible and/or necessary.
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm back from TLV, was great to catch up (very shortly though) with Yossie H. The expo was nice but a bit disappointing as a bunch of major wineries (Psagot, Tzora, Tzuba, Flam, Castel, Ella Valley...) were a no-show. David Rhodes just explained me some of the reason for that, but I still think that they're doing a mistake. In the Israeli wine industry, people will easily ignore your existence if you don't show up at such a major exhibition. Some, like Castel, can afford it but these guys are probably the exception that proves the rule.

Unfortunately, having had a very busy day at work I was unable to get there before 7pm, so only 3 hours and didn't have much time to taste so many wines nor taking written notes as I was there essentially for business meetings. I'll try and go back again for the 3rd and last day on Thursday. GHW poured many different syrahs and chardonnays, making it for some very interesting comparative and vertical tastings in some cases, but I was a bit frustrated with the absence of more of their many wines. I will also post on some of the amazing dessert wines served there tonight later, many of which were outstanding!

As well, I had a very nice talk with Adam Montefiore with whom I discussed a bit about this forum. Guys, Adam did obviously not appear to me as being very optimistic about the future of our forum here since Rogov's passing but as I told him, I disagree. We guys should all try to post more and I will do so as much as I can (sorry for the folks that might not really fancy my postings... :twisted: ), I shall have plenty of opportunities to do so from now on! :D Adam pointed out a few of us, such as Yossie H, Yeoshua, David Raccah, David Rhodes, Andrew Breskin, Harry J of course and myself among others for keeping the forum alive and implied, so I've understood at least, that he encourages to do that even more often. Would be great if Adam had time to do so as well.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Or Shoham

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:22 am

Israel

by Or Shoham » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm

My first time attending IsraWineExpo (that's a mouthful), and I mostly came away impressed. While many wineries were notably missing, the line-up of those who were presenting was more than sufficient for me to wind up not tasting half the wines I wanted to, simply because there were too many choices. For the most part, stands were not crowded and at least in the earlier stages of the day it was easy enough to find a place to sit down for a moment and get a glass of water (or a cup of coffee) between tastings.

Obviously, there were likely dozens of excellent wines I missed out on (for example, I skipped the Tulip and Recanati wines outright because I recently tasted them and plan to taste them again soon), so a wine/winery being missing from this list should not be taken as a negative inference (I'm sure Recanati's Special Reserve and Carignan and Tulip's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon would have made my lists, for example).

While I was not able to get any real notes (too many wines, not enough time), I came away with the following impressions:

The Great:
* Carmel Kayoumi Cabernet Sauvignon
* Yatir Petit Verdot (I knew I'd love this one, somehow. I think it was my favorite of the day)
* Galil Mountain Alon blend - particularly at this price point, an exceptional value.
* Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Avital Slopes Vineyard, Syrah, 2008 - I'm no expert one wine development, but it was actually enjoyable now, and I think it will develop nicely a few years down the line. This one had the added benefit of having a chance to chat with Victor Schoenfeld while tasting it.
* Vitkin Cabernet Franc - always great, though the glass poured had an awful lot of sediment. Hopefully that was just an isolated instance.

The Good:
* Carmel Kayoumi Single Vineyard Riesling - probably my favorite of handful of whites I tasted, all of which were fine, but none of which really impressed me. To be fair, I only tasted a few before moving on to reds, and I didn't get around to trying most of the Chardonnays on offer at the GHW booth.
* Barkan Assemblage Eitan - Despite my dislike of Barkan's new naming scheme, this was a good wine. I gather it is priced a little lower than its two siblings, as well.
* Virtually everyone on Boutique Avenue - while I didn't find any of these wines up to par with the offerings in the "Great" section, every one of the wines were good, and every person I spoke to was friendly and happy to chat about their wines.

The Ugly:
* Trying to spit out wine after tasting. There weren't a lot of spit buckets in most stands, and those that were available were usually monopolized by one or two people tasting multiple wines at the same stand. I mostly ended up swallowing my tasting portions, which meant cutting a few wines off my tasting list to make sure I didn't consume too much alcohol.
* The person ringing a bell in the Teperberg 1870 booth, or rather, the person who came up with the idea of ringing a bell. A minor annoyance, but an annoyance still. I saw a lot of people shooting dirty looks that way, so I guess I wasn't alone in that opinion.
* My inability to come back for multiple days - luckily, I was able to squeeze one day in and was not in a rush to leave.

I looked around for forumites, but I didn't recognize anyone - either you guys weren't around, or we didn't bump into each other, or your name tags were obscured. Maybe next time.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:39 pm

I was happy to have the opportunity to attend the first (trade-only) day of IsraWine Expo and determined to take full advantage, arrived as early as possible for the opening press conference which included a talk by Adam Montefiore's on the state of the Israeli wine industry to the approximately 45 visiting foreign journalists, wine buyers and other professionals (for a more-or-less complete list of foreign attendees, see here: http://www.grape-man.com/content.asp?NavigationID=684&ContentID=6023) - quite interesting. It was great to have the opportunity to chat with many of the foreign visitors who were eager to learn more about the wines, wineries and industry as a whole. I didn't see many forumites but got a chance to chat with Avi H and Gabriel and saw David Rhodes from afar but didn't get a chance to say hi. Sorry I missed you Or.

After the press conference, in order to orient myself and plan my tastings, I took a quick walk around the exhibition noticing that the entire show was substantially smaller than Sommelier (both in total space and attending wineries); exacerbated by the fact that there were a substantial number of non-winery booths. While most were at least tangentially related foodstuffs like cheeses, chocolate, oils and jams, wine fridges and wine-related gifts (which served as fillers, making the Expo seem larger than it was), Israel's business daily Globes and others were present as well, seemingly out of place.

The wineries attending included: Alexander, Artsi, Barkan, Binyamina, Carmel, Domaine Herzberg, Domaine Netofa (who shared a booth with Royal's Israeli representative - Zur Agencies - who had some of the more classic Royal Wines but, nothing that hadn't been at KFWE), Domaine Ventura, Galil Mountain, Gat Shomron, Golan Heights Winery (who were only pouring a representative of their varied Chardonnay and Syrah wines; given their size and variety of offerings, I know its tough to have a representative showcase, but somehow Carmel and Barkan managed (and I would have loved to taste the 2008 Rom or the new T squared (a not-yet-released post-style wine based on the T2)), Gvaot, Hevron Heights in all their glory and labels, Har Bracha, Livni, Luria, Or HaGanuz, Ramot Naftaly, Segal, Shiloh, Tanya, Teperberg, Tishbi, Tulip, Tura, Weitzman and Yatir.

The list of missing wineries was extensive and seemed to include a disproportionate number of Judean Hills wineries. Off the top of my head, the absence of the following kosher wineries was noticed: Adir, Agur, Bazelet HaGolan, Bravdo, Castel, Dalton, Ella Valley, Flam, Gush Etzion, Katlav, Mond, Mony, Odem Mountain, Psagot, Saslove, the Shor family wineries, Tabor, Tzora, Tzuba and Yaffo (although many of the winemakers/winery reps were there however as guests).

As with Sommelier, many of the wineries had their "special wines" (older vintages, magnum format, flagship wines) off the counter available only to those deemed worthy. As I mentioned on the KFWE thread, while I understand, respect and appreciate the need of the wineries to maintain an air of exclusivity for their better wines and prefer to pour the better wines for those who would actually appreciate it, I find the practice a little unsavory and silly - especially on a trade/press-only day.

Between Sommelier, KFWE and judging the wines for the Jewish Week's annual Kosher Wine Guide, I [thought that I would have] had fewer wines that I would want/need to taste but I was [happily] mistaken and there were tons of new wines so I ended up tasting just over 80 wines over the eight hours I attended before I had to leave to catch my flight back to NYC. My advice to those wanting to do serious tasting and take real notes at these events is arrive as early as you can, have a plan for exactly what you want to taste (including listing out the wines/vintages in advance) and get as much done as early in the day as possible. While there were a few mistakes and omissions to the list I linked to above (notably the Tanya wines), it was extremely helpful with the pre-planning allowing for a good utilization of my time. Between 12-4 there was almost nobody actually tasting anything, making quiet focused tastings relatively easy and affording a nice opportunity to have in-depth chats with the winemakers.

Keep an eye out for future newsletter in which I will provide more information on the wines and wineries, including detailed tasting notes, but for now, I've listed some of the highlights for me below. In general, I got the continuing impression of passion, innovation, experimentation and the continued desire to drive the industry forward - all of which is nice. This manifests itself with new varietals (a lot of Gewurztraminer and port-style wines seem to be popping up recently) although there seems to be less of a move towards the Rhone varietals than I would have expected.

Besides the few interesting wines listed below, I was also happy to "discover' two new kosher wineries Artsi (a new winery whose first vintage is 2011 with two current offerings - a 2011 Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, made solely in stainless (with the "Reserve" wines currently in the barrel with an anticipated release of January) and Weitzman, whose first vintage was in 2007 and has been kosher since (while neither wineries had offering that were anything special, it's always nice to see new ones pop up).
Artsi Cab 11.JPG
(84.59 KiB) Downloaded 2184 times
Weitzman Sigma Cab-Merlot 09.JPG
(96.39 KiB) Downloaded 2184 times

Alexander: They had a far more extensive selection at KFWE and none of their heavy-hitters were ON the counter so I just stopped by to say hello to the winery manager (Yoram and Ilana were still in the US) and taste the 2010 Sauvignon Blanc.
Binyamina: They were pouring their wines which included the new 2011 Yogev lineup and the 2010 Reserve Carignan which after some decanting opened up really nicely (although I liked the 2009 better so far). They also poured the 2011 Reserve Gewurztraminer which was delicious and a welcome addition to the rapidly expanding selection of quality available Israeli Gewurztraminer wines.
Carmel/Yatir: They had a pretty extensive lineup but I stuck to a few specifics including Carmel's Sha'al SV Merlot and a comparative tasting between the 2007 and 2008 Limited Edition wines where I felt the 2008 was the clear winner (despite the 2007 being more ready to drink at this point).
Galil Mountain: Showcasing the new line and label previously discussed, I tried the newly released Alon, 2010 Pinot Noir, 2011 Sauvignon Blanc and 2011 Rose (all pretty good, nothing blew me away although the Alon was certainly the best of them). They also had the 2008 Meron and Yiron which showed as delightfully as at Sommelier.
GM Alon 09.JPG
(67.54 KiB) Downloaded 2184 times

Gat Shomron: In addition to the wines they offered at Sommelier, they had the 2008 Merlot, 2009 Petit Verdot and a 2010 barrel sample of an "Amarone-style" wine made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. I also purchased a bunch of their two Icewine-style wines - a Gewurztraminer and Viognier (they will be releasing another Riesling-based one for the 2010 vintage soon).
Golan Heights Winery: Despite not having the 2008 ROM or T squared, I enjoyed tasting the 2005 and 2006 Yarden Syrah from magnums and the 2005 and 2007 Yarden Katzrin wines which showcased the benefit of time for these oaked Chardonnay wines and the 2008 Avital Syrah was delicious with tons of potential. Victor's presence and chatting enhanced the tasting as usual.
Gvaot: Notable wines included the new 2010 Herodion Merlot and Vineyards Dance and appreciated was the 2009 Masada.
Luria: I liked their Gewurztraminer a lot and also tasted their newly released wine - Inon (a blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Shiraz and 10% Cabernet Franc).
Ramot Naftaly: I tasted this winery for the first time at Sommelier, wrote an article about them a few weeks back and was excited to taste their newly released 2010 Barbera and try three wines that hadn't been at Sommelier - the 2009 Petit Verdot and Malbec and 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve which I found the least impressive of the bunch.
Recanati: The 2010 vintages of both the Carignan and Syrah/Viognier were available and delightful (the Petite Sirah/Zinfandel blend now carries the same cool label) as was the 2010 White Special Reserve (the new Yasmin's label is curiously nearly identical to its more upscale and expensive Special Reserve). Far better than the wines, was the time spent with Gil, Ido, Noam and Lenny Recanati a charming, fun, intellectual and knowledgeable a bunch as one could hope for.
Shiloh: I was happy to get the opportunity to re-taste the Legend which wasn't showing its best at KFWE and it showed a marked improvement on its home turf. Adam N. was helping out and it was great chatting with him about the wines.
Tanya: They had a huge lineup of wines across the vintages (over 15 wines) including their newly released Ivri entry-level series (consisting of a Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cab/Merlot blend). Stay tuned for a coming piece about the winery and the wines. These are definitely wines that need serious aging time for the pieces to come together but are sometimes worth the wait.
Teperberg: After tasting a number of their newer releases including a 2011 Gewurztraminer and delightful Sauvignon Blanc, I got lucky and meet up with winemaker Shiki and Shai (from Allied - their US importer) for a tasting of their newly released series named after musical instruments - Chalil (flute) - a semi-sweet Cabernet Sauvignon ala Herzog's Jeunesse, Kinor (harp) - a fortified blend of (~2/3) Cabernet Sauvignon & (~1/3) Merlot and Nevel (a type of harp) - a port-style wine and my favorite of the bunch. They are also following up on their initial Moscato success with two 2011 wines, a white Moscato from Muscat of Alexandria grapes and a red Moscato from Muscat Hamburg.
Teperberg New 2010 Series.JPG
(85.83 KiB) Downloaded 2184 times
Tulip: Was pouring their 2011 White Tulip and White Franc (they also poured their non-kosher Black Tulip 2009 and had some non-kosher magnum format tastings as well). As with the 2010 vintage, I enjoyed the White Tulip more than the White Franc but felt that the 2010 White Tulip was a better wine.

For a few pictures of the event: http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/IsraelWines/Israwinexpo/?albumview=slideshow
Last edited by Yossie Horwitz on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 am

Hi Guys
I attended the show and there are much more qualified people to post the tasting notes.
I certainly was not asked once the entire evening to produce a tasting voucher.
The companies and the reps were fantastic and very helpful and generous.

I don’t however think this show will survive and I tell you why.

The majors who sell say 85-90% of all wine by volume were all represented and built fantastic booths at enormous expense.
Wineries who produce 500k-1mil bottles were almost all missing, as you guys point out. Cost I understand is 60000-70000sh for a med company. I am not surprised they don’t come. So the majors also don’t need it. They must be spending huge sums, for what?

Regarding some individual wineries, I really enjoyed the new Barkan Assemblage. Well done to Ed and his team. I was also reminded how good the Superier Cab 2007 is drinking. The Barkan wines are very well priced and such good value. But in fact Carmel has the same med costing wines, which are fantastic quality. Golan Heights Winery I feel is now expensive. True the single Vineyard wines are fantastic but pricy. Just too many of the same.

So all in all it’s a show not worth missing but beware of the cost of parking inside the grounds. Parking costs more than the the cost of enterance wine.

Enjoy
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 am

Stephen Weil wrote:So all in all it’s a show not worth missing but beware of the cost of parking inside the grounds. Parking costs more than the the cost of enterance wine.

The parking cost is indeed outrageous, if you live in TLV, taking a cab will cost less and is probably a better idea anyway when tasting so many wines, even if you spit them out. I, however, don't have much choice... ):
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 am

Take the free parling outside the show grounds... be warned
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Now I'm at least advised for next year, thanks. I was there again today and paid 46 shekels for about 2 hours... :evil:

Okidoki, I was delighted today to finally meet David Rhodes in person at IsraWinExpo and we had a nice yet relatively short (we both had a very busy schedule) but still very interesting talk about the industry, marketing, wine critics, Rogov z.l. and such.

I had also the pleasure to finally get to taste wines and meet the winemakers and/or owners of some boutique wineries I wasn't yet familiar with such as Domaine Herzberg and Weizmann Winery. Both make some good to very good wines, stood out Weizmann's Petit Verdot (spelled Petit Verdo on the bottle...), nice dark purple, full-bodied with mouth-coating tannins and loads of black fruit and oak.

All Herzberg's wines were also not bad at all, there was nothing that I didn't like but I was too absorbed by my conversation with Max Herzberg ,the owner and winemaker, to come up with tasting notes but these folks produce only good stuff, there was really nothing that I disliked at that booth. You may check out if you want this post by Daniel z.l. dating back in October '10 with which I agree for the most (I would have granted better scores to some of the wines): viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35097

One of the wines that impressed me the most was Tishbi's new Single Vineyard Malbec 2009, that was a delicious wine that I liked a lot more than the Teperberg: smooth and round, dark garnet toward ruby, a beautiful nose packed with black and red fruits but also clear notes of of oak, medium-to full-bodied and showing some nice black and red fruit on the palate with also sour cherries on the background, all of that in fine balance with the oak and bracing acidity that should allow this wine to age for another 5-6 years (perhaps even a bit longer) mouth-filling with some hints of tar and wood on the long and delicious slightly tannic finish.

Many Gewurztraminers also, including Yarden's 2011 which was dry and presented in a more french (mineral with citrus fruits) style than the others, my favorite being Lueria's, semi-sweet, a wine I'd have a hard time to pair with food except for some slightly sweet appetizers such as green salads with sweet sauce and cranberries, that sort of things. But I would love sipping it like a good rosé on the patio during the afternoon of a hot summer day. The Lueria actually reminded more of a Viognier rather than a Gewurtz', in this case of Dalton's Wild Yeast Viognier, packed with peaches and tropical fruits, really a wine to remember. 'Hevron Heights' Gewurz was also very good, and the most typically Israeli Gewurtz' I've tasted today. Speaking of HH Winery, their Jacobs 2010, a muscat, was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! While I'm usually not very fond of Muscat wines and I honestly dislike Yarden's for example, the Jacobs was great, a delicious dessert wine competing IMHO comfortably with Binyamina Gewurz' LHCS and Carmel's Gewurz Shaal. I would have paid quite a bit to have Daniel's opinion of this one! :P ...

As well, I've discussed for a little while with Amichai Lueria, Shiloh's head winemaker, and tasted their wines that have indeed improved a lot over the past 3-4 years and I loved especially the Cabernet Sauvignon Hasod. Apart from the Shiloh Legend tasted 2 weeks ago at Cellar18 in Ramat Bet Shemesh, I did not taste any Shiloh wine since my visit to the winery in 2009. Back then, I met with another winemaker working there(if he's still with them is unknown to me) that I can't recall the name, and neither him nor the wines convinced me then... That's probably due to the fact that have raised their maîtrise of the mevushal process to the level of Herzog' and Hagafen's because you could clearly feel the wines were cooked back then. But now it's a totally different story (as Craig, Dave Raccah and YossieH among others reported after the LA and NYC's Royal Corp event) and that makes me happy... 8)

Domaine Artsi, one of the newbies, is definitely a winery to follow and I'm looking forward to taste their Reserve releases in January, to confirm YossieH' info. I've had an extensive talk with all the managing and winemaking crew as Gabriel Lattes, their Sales Director, is a personal friend. Despite it's called "Gabriel", their entry-level stainless-steel aged Merlot is average, drinkable but that's all (Gosh! their website states it would pair well with sushi, yuk! :shock: ). The "Raphael", their entry-level Cabernet Sauvignon, was much better and I was kindly offered a bottle a to take home. It's a typical Israeli Cab', dark garnet with nice black fruit on the nose and palate, medium-bodied with essentially ripe blackberries and hints of mint rising up with soft tannins on the finish, this should pair well with meatballs I think and even with some roast chicken accompanied by a rich sauce. As you can see, I may know the guys and even have been thru an attempt of bribe :wink: , I will stick to my honest opinion of the product! :lol:

All in all, this was by far not the best expo I've been to but I still enjoyed many good wines and in the company of many nice people, and anyway it's always great to see so many people getting the more and more passionate about wine in Israel, keeps proving the potential for this industry here now and in the future. I'm taking this opportunity to thank Yossef, Shmulik and Shlomi and all the staff from the Tzur Agency for their warm welcome and assistance today, I'm looking forward to attend the special private tasting event of the Royal Wines portfolio organized by them this coming Tuesday 2/28 in Tel Aviv, on which I will of course report as well.

Best, Chodesh Tov and shabbat shalom to all!

GG
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm

I understand Israwinexpo is every 2 years?

The one thing I can say is that it didn't feel International at all, quite on the contrary, and was very much alike the Jerusalem festival without the nice outdoor setup. So I think that if they really want and intend on marketing this event as an International exhibition, the concept should be then radically rethought.
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:38 am

Quite a poor showing at the expo. They need to scrap this and restart. One thing to consider would be to do it in May or even early June where there would be a better showing of people from the states. A shame a lot of the good smaller wineries weren't there, but from what I understood the cost was high. Personally.....I tasted a lot of bad wine. I won't get into the list out of respect for the wineries, but some of the stuff was gross.