Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anybody ever make preserved lemon compote?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Anybody ever make preserved lemon compote?

by Howard » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:09 pm

I'm thinking about merguez sausages for an appetizer and I wondered about serving it with a sweet/salty preserved lemon compote but have no idea how to approach that. Any ideas?
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Anybody ever make preserved lemon compote?

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:28 pm

Howard, never had such a thing as the compote you mention, but that never stopped me from having an opinion. If you gave me JUST that description, and lacking any actual preserved lemons, I'd poach lemon slices in olive oil, then chop them and mix with a little apricot jam, salt, fine diced onions tamed in a little vinegar and drained (maybe red onions, which turn such a pretty magenta), some finely chopped cilantro and then add back some of the poaching oil to achieve the consistency I wanted. Might add a pinch of cinnamon, though that could be too busy. I'd not add that until the end.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:54 pm

I just knew you'd respond. :)

Your idea sounds very intriguing. This thing was inspired, however, by a jar of preserved lemons I have hanging around in my fridge. Now what?
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Ha! You tricked me!

Well, since you already have the lemons, build your sauce the same way except add uncooked EVOO. Or, go more savoury and starting with the chopped preserved lemons, add olive oil, possibly fresh lemon juice, pinches of sugar to balance the salt, and to that base then add your seasoning like chopped herbs (mint and parsley would be perfect for merguez), and maybe some interesting seed spice like fennel and mustard. I make something similar out of fresh meyers to pair with lightly baked whole salmon filets and can vouch for the fact that it's goodness.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov