The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Piedmont, Beaujolais, Sonoma

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Piedmont, Beaujolais, Sonoma

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:33 pm

With a dish of braised chicken with red wine,mushrooms, artichokes, bacon, etc the 2001 Cascina Luisin "Maggiur" Langhe Nebbiolo. Slightly lifted nose (a plus in Nebbiolo to me if not overwhelming) , ripe and forward but with some tannins. Deep dark fruit (dark color for Nebbiolo too). I'd describe as new-wave based on fruit profile, but there's not any discernable new oak. I really enjoy, but this was expensive for non-B Nebbiolo. But that might be a function of the high-priced store where I bought (I was using a gift certificate), as I see a '99 Rabaja from this producer for only few dollars more. B/B+

Opened the same night the 2004 Pierre-Marie Chermette (Domaine de Vissoux) "Rochgres" Moulin-a-Vent . Rather big structured Gamay, this could pass for a sturdier Bourgogne except for that floral/bonemeal/geranium thing I only usually get from Gamay (I don't know what it is, but it reminds me of greenhouses). Nice pure black cherry fruit, this is better on day 2. The greenhouse thing fades and I could easily miss this and declare it Burgundy on the second day. Good minerally finish, nice body, good wine. B+

The second day the Beaujolais was with a mushroom risotto, as the Moulin a Vent finished I opened a half-bottle of 2004 La Crema Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast). I've seen this touted as a QPR winner, but for me it's more a confectionary loser. It's not especially oaky, but almost offensively sweet. I try again tonight, no improvement, to the vinegar crock! C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.