The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike / Palate callibration exercise this coming weekend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Open Mike / Palate callibration exercise this coming weekend

by Ian Sutton » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:44 pm

Just a quick reminder that we're setting up an informal palate callibration exercise next weekend. This involves people getting hold of the same wine - in this case Penfolds Bin28 Kalimna Shiraz 2003 from Australia. We'll taste the wine independantly and post our comments / thoughts / tasting notes.

The aim is to (in a very relaxed and non-geeky way) investigate how different our preceptions of the same wine are. It's a good chance to think about how we describe wines, an area which can be quite intimidating in some circles.

Anyone and everyone is invited and hopefully the wine is widely available, so that at least a handful of us can find a bottle and compare our thoughts.

I'll aim to start proceedings some time on thursday or friday, by posting some background info on the wine. Feel free to post tasting notes, vibes, opinions onto that thread and we'll see how it goes. There's also potential to take the debate into the regular sunday chat session.

I've still yet to get my bottle :oops: , but will be detouring via the big supermarkets this week, as they seem to be the big stockists.

We're using this as a bit of a trial run and if it goes well, we'll investigate which wines are both interesting and available to a large cross-section of our community.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Open Mike / Palate callibration exercise next weekend

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I've still yet to get my bottle :oops:

Ian, thanks for taking the lead on this project! I'm having a little trouble finding Bin 28 here, too, which is odd because there are a dozen or more Penfolds labels widely available, not excluding Grange itself (if you can pay the fare). I'm not sure why the one Bin we need is thin on the ground around here, but I'm still looking.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:10 am

Robin, no problems up here!! I am looking forward to the PCE.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Just bumping this up. May only have the `02 vintage here but that will work!! Will look around this afternoon.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:I've still yet to get my bottle :oops:

Ian, thanks for taking the lead on this project! I'm having a little trouble finding Bin 28 here, too, which is odd because there are a dozen or more Penfolds labels widely available, not excluding Grange itself (if you can pay the fare). I'm not sure why the one Bin we need is thin on the ground around here, but I'm still looking.

Any luck out there Robin? I could only find the `01/`02 vintages so purchased the latter. $34 Cdn, ouch!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:15 pm

I'll open one on Fri or Sat.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Scored my bottle today on the way back from a wine auction (good fiun by the way).

I'll post some info tonight [Robin: Do you think it's ok to post large-ish chunks of material from Penfolds web-site, or would you prefer a brief summary and link? I know the latter is normally preferable, but wondered whether you felt it ok to bend good practice in this case as there's no perceived issue. Happy to follow your sound advice on this matter].

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:38 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:[Robin: Do you think it's ok to post large-ish chunks of material from Penfolds web-site, or would you prefer a brief summary and link? I know the latter is normally preferable, but wondered whether you felt it ok to bend good practice in this case as there's no perceived issue. Happy to follow your sound advice on this matter].

Good question, Ian. I appreciate your sensitivity in the matter.

From a copyright standpont, I don't see an issue. It's not like "borrowing" intellectual property extensively from a newspaper or magazine or mag-like Website. After all, Penfolds interest is in selling its product and disseminating its information, so I can't imagine that they would object.

The only possible concern is avoiding the temptation to offer our participants a drink of water from a fire hose. :) If the cross-post becomes so voluminous that it takes a long time to read, or if in your opinion it's so much that many of us would be inclined to skim it or skip it, then it's probably best to excerpt and link. But it's really a judgment call. From the standpoint of copyright and intellectual property, I don't see a problem.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Ian, I've changed your thread title to read "this coming weekend" vs. "next weekend" so it's in context with Right Now for new readers.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

Re: Open Mike / Palate callibration exercise this coming weekend

by Ian Sutton » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:38 pm

Jenise
Well spotted
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:40 pm

Robin
Many thanks - posting is going up in the next 20 minutes, so give me a shout if it's too wordy
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:give me a shout if it's too wordy

Like Baby Bear's porridge, it's just right! :)

Now wish me well in my continued quest! So far I've found every ding-danged Bin Number that Penfolds makes EXCEPT No. 28!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:give me a shout if it's too wordy

Like Baby Bear's porridge, it's just right! :)

Now wish me well in my continued quest! So far I've found every ding-danged Bin Number that Penfolds makes EXCEPT No. 28!

So Robin try another `03 and compare notes with what we all write!! How about a Rawsons (same co.) or Thorn Clark which is excellent.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:26 pm

Why not a Rhone Syrah to get an Old World on the grape although a 2003 Rhone might taste an awful lot like a Penfolds.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:51 am

Hi all - a thought just occurred. with large output wines like this, what are the chances that all the bottles are in fact identical? in europe there are lot numbers required on the bottles or labels; but is that true for australia? partly, of course, it is a matter of having a tank large enough to hold all the wine at once that will end up being labeled bin 28. but partly also it is a question of not ordering and filling glass that won't be needed for 8 months or more for shipping. why inventory bottles when keeping it in bulk will be more efficient. AND when you do finally bottle the next batch, obviously that will taste somewhat differently - due at least to the extra time in wood. just a thought.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:22 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:So Robin try another `03 and compare notes with what we all write!! How about a Rawsons (same co.) or Thorn Clark which is excellent.

Bob, it's tempting, but unfortunately this approach also dilutes the focus on "palate calibration," which really demands everyone tasting the same wine. Generally speaking I'm in favor of the "pick something similar if you can't find the right one," but in this instance, for our first palate calibration, I think it might be better to keep it "pure."

I haven't given up the quest, anyway!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:02 pm

creightond wrote:Hi all - a thought just occurred. with large output wines like this, what are the chances that all the bottles are in fact identical? in europe there are lot numbers required on the bottles or labels; but is that true for australia? partly, of course, it is a matter of having a tank large enough to hold all the wine at once that will end up being labeled bin 28. but partly also it is a question of not ordering and filling glass that won't be needed for 8 months or more for shipping. why inventory bottles when keeping it in bulk will be more efficient. AND when you do finally bottle the next batch, obviously that will taste somewhat differently - due at least to the extra time in wood. just a thought.

Yes, such variation can (and does) occur. In addition there will be variation in temperature we serve the wine at, decanting or breathing time and I guess plenty of other variables including our palates and bottle variation.

Finally some unscrupulous companies have released one initial 'super' batch for critics/shows and early purchasers, subsequently releasing inferior batches which sell well on the reviews of the initial batch. Illegal and reassuringly it does seem to get picked up on in the odd instances it's occurred.

regards

Ian