Wine Depot

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wine Depot

Postby Alek W » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:37 pm

What is going on with Wine Depot? Their site is inaccessible for several days, and they do not answer the phone calls...
Alek W
Ultra geek

Re: Wine Depot

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Here's what happened: All their customers turned their back on them and became now mine! :twisted:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Mike_F » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:24 am

Alek -

Thanks for the information, I did not know about this. Such a long suspension of service in this season probably indicates that they have gone out of business. Pity! The only other comparable online store I know about is http://www.goodwines.co.il/ , but I have not purchased anything there so far. Do you have any experience with them?

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Mike_F » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:30 am

An update from Eli_R:

The Wine Depot shop is working as usual. Their web-site will be back next week.
It seems that the company hosting the web-site had a fire.

Eli
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:06 pm

The fire probably was caused by the volume of traffic the site experiences ;) I heard a rumor of 3-for-80NIS on Galil Mountain AND Segal Single

Lior
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Mike_F » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:38 am

Hi Lior,

Yes indeed, Wine Depot usually have good prices and very good service, speaking as a long-time customer.

Still interested to know if anybody has had any experience with Beit HaMashkaot Shel Naftali, the other online retailer mentioned above (http://www.goodwines.co.il/). They are e.g. offering Margalit Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 at 165 NIS per bottle.

best,

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Or Shoham » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:53 am

Mike_F wrote:Still interested to know if anybody has had any experience with Beit HaMashkaot Shel Naftali, the other online retailer mentioned above (http://www.goodwines.co.il/). They are e.g. offering Margalit Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 at 165 NIS per bottle.

Mike,
I've purchased from them before. I had a little bit of trouble communicating with them digitally (they seem to use a shared email for their website contact, so you're corresponding with a different person each time), but once I got them on the phone, they were very friendly and helpful. I also purchased several wines from them that were not on the website, after asking for prices through email/phone - for aging wines, they seem to have quite a good selection at reasonable prices.

Most of the wines I've purchased from them are still aging in my wine fridge, but several bottles of Margalit Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 purchased for friends (purchased last year around this time) have been opened - three got positive reviews - two "Excellents" and a "Very good" - and a fourth got a 'meh' from someone drinking it without letting it breathe much. Make of that what you will.

I will likely purchase from them again in the future (I am also a WineDepot customer), but I have not moved my main business there because they don't have any brick-and-mortal branches in my area (which also leads to higher shipping costs for online purchases), and their website prices tend to run a little on the high side for many mainstream, currently-available wines.
Or Shoham
Ultra geek

Postby Mike_F » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks very much Or!

For those interested, the Wine Depot site is back up at http://www.winedepot.co.il/Default.asp?Page=AboutUS
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Alek W » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Mike, thanks!
Alek W
Ultra geek

Postby Barry K » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:12 pm

I have been unable to connect to the wine depot website. Has there been another fire at the web host? Are they coming back up soon ?
anybody have any info?
thanks
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Mike_F » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:02 am

Hi Barry,

The site is back up now. It seems to have periodic outages, in such cases they are available by phone at 03-6446977 or 03-6471375.

happy shopping,

Mike
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Barry K » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks Mike for that info
Now I am wondering why I am still unable to connect to their site.Glad everything working on their side
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Mike_F » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi Barry,

It could be an issue with the browser you are using, or if you are connected via a firewall programmed to refuse connections to alcohol related sites (although in such case you would most probably also be blocked from this forum...). Anyhow, if you call them and ask I'm sure they will be glad to help, they are nice people. And if their website doesn't work on certain browsers, that is something they will probably want to fix, so they should appreciate your call.

good luck,

mike
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 am

As an ecom owner and ceo of 7 years, I gotta tell you that no self respecting online biz is out like that.. its akin to having a hotel without AC every other week
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum