Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Under-counter mount drawer microwaves--good idea?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Under-counter mount drawer microwaves--good idea?

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:06 pm

Saw an add for one yesterday made by Sharp. The ad claimed there's is the first, and I certainly haven't seen any competition. I quite like the idea, considering the other things I'd rather have at eye level. What do people here think--if you could trade whatever you have for this type of installation, would you?
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Under-counter mount drawer microwaves--good idea?

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:37 pm

Works great for us, Jenise. Out of the way, great space saver on the counter top where every inch counts.

Strong plus in our world.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Oh, on the counter is not even an option I considered, Bob! Rather, most 'built-ins' are over the stove or they occupy the lower section of what would otherwise be an overhead cabinet. I personally hate looking at them, and am planning to have a small cupboard built for a small microwave, but that was assuming that overhead was my only option. A drawer-style presents an option I hadn't considered.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:46 pm

We have the Viking "wall" that you might have seen in WS and similar places. It has the nuker on top, combo oven in the center, and warmer on the bottom. Works great.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:40 pm

No, it is not a good idea. When we did our kitchen remodel, I did a lot of research. For safety reasons, a microwave should be mounted between YOUR shoulder and elbow. Mine is chest level to me, no bending at all. When I take out that very hot dish, my dish is totally level, which is how it should be.
I saw one in a new home mounted under the counter level and the homeowner told me she hated it and advised she was letting folks know that if they bought the home, to change it. Apparently, she had an unpleasant experience.
Mine is mounted in a panty area, with pull out shelving above and below. I take out the hot dish or dishes and can place them right on my granite counter or a wooden block near by.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:27 pm

Well, I hate to have to bend down for anything, so when we remodeled our kitchen we even had the dishwasher mounted at shoulder level--and everyone who visits marvels at the concept.

I am waiting for the day when a creative engineer designs a refrigerator that can be mounted table top, horizontal so that I don't have to bend down to reach for the vegetables. Underneath it, hmmm, maybe that would be a good place for the hundreds of gadgets I don't use anymore.

One of the gadgets I still can't get used to happens to be the microwave--I know, I know. But I have yet to find a compelling reason for the thing, including the defrosting thing, which to me makes it a rather expensive way to stop doing what I have been doing for years--plan ahead.

So, I wouldn't put the microwave under the counter for two reasons: I hate bending down, and I don't need the damned thing anyway ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:30 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Mine is mounted in a panty area, with pull out shelving above and below.

We know what you meant to say :shock:
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:50 pm

Would you believe I used to work for our local police department? One of my jobs was the community crime newsletter, plus educational brochures, etc. If you only knew how much the police hate mistakes......I became very good at proof reading. Retirement has taken its toll. I suppose I could make some comical comment, but think I will just leave it.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:20 pm

That's really funny, Jenise. We've never ever considered a microwave at eye level. I have the same aversion to looking at them -- they look like a TV set to me.

I actually find it an advantage to have the microwave at knee level or a bit higher -- easy to stir and I rarely put more than a pound or two into it.

In any event, I've considered all the negatives folks have expressed -- low down is still the right place for me. We made our own "drawer" -- mounted it on a shelf about 18 inches above the floor and have a pull down cover that makes it invisible during all but working minutes. The great advantage is that you have good circulation -- in our case about three inches on all three sides.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:38 pm

"I suppose I could make some comical comment, but think I will just leave it."

Please leave it.

Your comment made me quite philosophical.

I wondered how it was possible for me to go from panty raids to raiding the pantry in only forty-five years. :)

Those multi-person raids seemed to occur just yesterday.

Thanks for the memories.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Karen, to read your typo and then go straight to Thomas' post beginning "I hate to bend over" really sent me into a giggle fit. I guess I'm easily amused. :)

Thomas, I wish I had a way to put my dishwasher up too. I might ask my architect to consider that--but then what do you do with the space above?

All your arguments for and against are good cases. Thomas, I'm like you--I make tea in mine every day and LOVE it for that. The tea goes into the water and the whole cooks together, the nuker turns itself off and about 20 minutes after I put the pyrex carage in there, tea's ready to pour. It collapses what is otherwise three steps and makes a better pot to boot. Other than that I melt better and heat leftovers for my lunches. That's really all. And that's why the more out of the way, the better.

Bob, does your microwave have the typical door opening left to right? The Sharp model I saw a picture of isn't IN a drawer, it IS a drawer--the door pulls out toward you and brings the service shelf with it. This deals fairly effectively, Karen, with most of the arguments against low-mounting. My own limited use for the thing only adds to it. For someone who cooks in one routinely, though, I'd advise against it for all the reasons you name. You know what, I few years ago (back when we were remodelling the Huntington Beach house), I had one designer suggest a low mount of a conventional microwave which I nixed immediately. But what interested me at the time was that she said that people were starting to do that so that small children could use the microwave to make their own meals from prepackaged frozen foods. Can you imagine not only expecting a small child to fend for himself that way but also use a microwave? I was horrified. If you're not tall enough to reach it you're not old enough to use it. In an all adult-household like Bob's, though, not a concern.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:07 pm

Small children and microwaves........I shutter! Not long ago a story in our local paper told of a child who put the cat in the nuker to dry the fur off. Cat blew up.
I will have to look up that Sharp/drawer/microwave. Mine is a sharp, I love the location, and use mine like you do. I do not cook in it, just heat up, melt, and thaw.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:15 pm

Hey Jenise,
That microwave looks great. The ones I've seen were nearer to the floor. For use like you and I use them, that is a great place. However, for folks with young grandchilden or even friends who come often, I'd worry. Do the new microwaves till advise not to stand in front of them while they are on?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:48 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Works great for us, Jenise. Out of the way, great space saver on the counter top where every inch counts.

Strong plus in our world.

Great thinking Bob R, more room to stock recent wine purchases before cellaring!!! Usually have at least a dozen on the countertop, good dust collectors. Mind you, the other half is not impressed at all!!!!

"What are all these bottles doing here?"
"Recent purchases dearest".
"Some of these wines have been here for weeks!"
"Nah, the labels just look the same".

Yup, so it goes on!!
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:32 am

Karen/NoCA wrote: Not long ago a story in our local paper told of a child who put the cat in the nuker to dry the fur off. Cat blew up.

Another local paper falls for an Urban Legend aparantly. Pets placed in a microwave do not blow up. Plus, to the best of Snopes.com's knowledge, every documented case of pets being placed in a microwave was the result of cruelty.

I actually have considered placing a microwave at a low level for our kids (age six and eight). However in my case, Wills (the 6 y.o.) has been known to use the microwave to pop popcorn without asking his Mom or me first (amazingly enough, he's turned out perfect bags every time), while Jannie (the 8 y.o.) loves to help me cook and a low level microwave would make it much safer for her to do certain things. Two years ago though I wouldn't have considered it.