The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Chateau Lascombes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

WTN: 2003 Chateau Lascombes

by Randy Buckner » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:09 pm

2003 Chateau Lascombes, Grand Cru Classé, Margaux, France, $45. Deeply colored to the eye and very aromatic on the nose, this wine has a classic Bordeaux fragrance. Full and complex on the entry, there is no hint of overripeness from this very hot vintage. Tannins firm up on the protracted finish and demand several years of patient aging to come around. I'll probably grab a six-pack; 91/91.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2003 Chateau Lascombes

by Brian K Miller » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:07 pm

Darn it! I paid too much.

Did you decant this wine?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:21 pm

Two hours. BTW, that price is an error -- it should be $49 (K&L).
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:52 pm

Randy,

How did it taste before decanting? I got a definite musty smell and that saw-dusty taste/texture (tannin?) on opening. Both got better with time in air.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:07 pm

How did it taste before decanting?

I didn't taste it before decanting, Sam, so I can't speak of any mustiness. It wasn't there two hours later.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:58 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:

Two hours. BTW, that price is an error -- it should be $49 (K&L).

I still paid too much by a little bit-but I like shopping at small shops and she carries really interesting stuff (Enoteca in Calistoga, CA)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:48 pm

I still paid too much by a little bit-but I like shopping at small shops and she carries really interesting stuff (Enoteca in Calistoga, CA)

I know the place. Do you know if the Wine Stop is still in business (just up the street in the train depot)? Tom Pelter used to own it.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:39 pm

Randy,

I'm not in anyway challenging your decision to decant, but how did you know the Lascombes needed to be decanted if you didn't taste it first? Is it standard practice to always decant a Bordeaux?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:52 am

Thank you for your notes. I am waiting on a few of these to be delivered.

I am beginning to be very enthusiastic about the 2003's, although I have only tasted a few of them. The last one that I had, another Margaux, the Brane Cantenac, was enjoyable and had that hint of ripeness, but not overwhelming. As much as I like the classical style, this one is not your traditional Bordeaux, but just like the most of the other '03's that I've tasted, it is enjoyable for the style.

Ramon
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:34 am

I'm not in anyway challenging your decision to decant, but how did you know the Lascombes needed to be decanted if you didn't taste it first? Is it standard practice to always decant a Bordeaux?

Sam, I don't mind being told I'm FOS. ;-) I decant all young red wines for an hour or two; Ports for 8-12 hours. I like to open them up as much as possible. I do this with all samples as well, except I "decant" in the glass. I'm much more cautious with senior citizen wines. They get tasted right away.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:37 am

Ramon, I do believe there are good wines to be had from the 2003 vintage, but I'm tasting all wines before I purchase them. The overripeness factor is very real for this vintage, and I personally do not like that quality in my wines.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:43 am

you really have to be careful with this vintage. i think the lascombes was one of the most successful - and by contrast that the brane cantenac one of the least successful - weedy and stemmy. decanter mag just raved about chasse spleen - which i too found to be very attractive, but oddly, since it was decanter, i found the wine nearly 'new world' in character. of course in a big tasting, that is the style that would stand out.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:27 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
I know the place. Do you know if the Wine Stop is still in business (just up the street in the train depot)? Tom Pelter used to own it.

Yes. I need to check that shop out, too!

(Enoteca has the bottle of 1990 Barolo I noted in the thread below).