The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Edmunds St John Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: Some Edmunds St John Wines

by Redwinger » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Over the years I've tasted some ESJ wines courtesy of others that I've really enjoyed. There has been quite a bit of chatter about ESJ on the net recently, so figured I'd check and see if there was any distributuion here in Indiana and I was disappointed to learn that there was none. A quick chat with the owners of the shop where I schlepp wines a few days a week and a few phone calls to Steve gets us a nice assortment of samples to taste through. For the most part these wines are well made, offer exceptional value and definitely avoid the spoofulated/industrialized stuff that seems to dominate the market these days. These wines stress finese over power.
Here are my notes/impressions of the wines and I'm enthusiastically looking foward to sharing many of these with our customers fairly soon.

2005 Shell & Bone White
A Viognier and Rousanne blend that packs some power. The Viognier is very evident on the floral nose . Good mouthcoating viscosity that delivers a bit of nuttiness towards the end which I assume is the Rousanne component. Lingering finish. A winner.

2005 Pinot Grigio
Not much to hold my interst here. probably just palate preference on my part as the wine had no discerable flaws. Guess you can't win them all.

2002 "The Shadow"
Apparently this is an amalgamation of Steve's various 2002 Syrahs. Medium bodied and plummy fruit in a nice way. Some tannins and complexity suggest this one might benefit from another year in the bottle although it is drinking very well right now. Should price out someplace under $12 which will make this an easy sell.

2005 Pinc Froid Rose
Very interesting rose. Nice depth and complexity. The nose is all about spices..clove, pomegranate and a dash of cinnamon. Plenty of red fruit flavors to round out the profile. A delight to drink

2003 Shell & Bone Paso Robles (Red)
A blend of the usual CdP varietals. Comes across as a bit ripe on the nose and entry. Ends with a bit of spice, but just came across a bit simple.

2001 Los Robles Viejos, Rozet Vineyard, Paso RoblesAnother CdP blend with Moevedre, Grenache, Syrah and Counoise. Lavender, meat/game, pepper/spice. My favorite wine of the day.

2001 Syrah, Wylie-Fenaughty, El Dorado County
This wine was more extracted than the previous wines, but never approaching being over-the-top. Black fruit profile with tannins and acids to balance everything out. Really blossomed with a couple of hours of air and I suspect given just a bit more time to breathe, it may have become my choice as wine of the day. Very good now, but probably even better with a bit of cellar time.

My only question to the wine buyer was: "How quickly can we get this stuff in the store?"

Disclosure: In case you haven't guessed by now, I sell wine to people and would love to have ESJ in our portfolio

Original post edited to correct vintage on the Shell & Bone Red
Last edited by Redwinger on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Some Edmunds St John Wines

by James Roscoe » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:01 pm

Does Steve's website contain a list of stores that carry his juice? I have this theory about the west coast guys conspiring to keep all the ESJ wines for themselves. I have rarely seen it on the shelves in DC or Maryland. It's hard to find in this neck of the woods. I think all I've had his his Gamay, Bolly Jones or something like that.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:03 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Does Steve's website contain a list of stores that carry his juice? I have this theory about the west coast guys conspiring to keep all the ESJ wines for themselves. I have rarely seen it on the shelves in DC or Maryland. It's hard to find in this neck of the woods. I think all I've had his his Gamay, Bolly Jones or something like that.

James,
I seem to recall that his site lists distributors by state. If my recollection is correct, that should give you a starting point for locating a local retailer.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Thanks Bill, your notes make me want to find some bottles of this stuff. I suppose I could get it shipped to a friend in Virginia if I get desparate. Great work, as usual. Cheers!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:11 pm

2001 Syrah, Wylie-Fenaughty, El Dorado County
This wine was more extracted than the previous wines, but never approaching being over-the-top. Black fruit profile with tannins and acids to balance everything out. Really blossomed with a couple of hours of air and I suspect given just a bit more time to breathe, it may have become my choice as wine of the day. Very good now, but probably even better with a bit of cellar time.

I agree, and that probably is my favorite of the wines you mention, but mainly because I am a mono-cepage type of guy, but even I had to admit that the 01 Los Robles red was killer, although both need air.

So in addition to the "elegance" everyone talks about, the wines are probably also similar to "Old World" wines in that they are living beings and need air to show their many faces, when young. Not necessarily something to open pour and expect easy simple fruit.

So, if some can't understand that, too bad for them.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:30 am

James,

They're hard to find in the D.C. area for sure, but I was able to pick up the 2004 Bone-Jolly from Cleveland Park wines on Connecticut Ave., and just last month bought the 2003 Rocks and Gravel from MacArthur. You might see if they have any more left.

-- Bruce
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:14 am

The distributor in DC has a website. I sent the president an email outlining my complaints. We will see whether I get a response.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:33 pm

James,

Based on the performance of Steve's local distributor up my way, I am beginning to believe that they do not even try to sell the wines. They sure do make it hard to buy them.

I think it's something about distributors all over. They like to feel that they are doing you a favor by only trying to sell Gallo products. It simplifies your life. Don't you feel better?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:James,

Based on the performance of Steve's local distributor up my way, I am beginning to believe that they do not even try to sell the wines. They sure do make it hard to buy them.

I think it's something about distributors all over. They like to feel that they are doing you a favor by only trying to sell Gallo products. It simplifies your life. Don't you feel better?

David,
Are you implying that the distributors could care less about their producers or just the consumers? Maybe they could not care less about either unless they get a hefty kickback. Sheez, the system sucks!
James
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:42 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
David,
Are you implying that the distributors could care less about their producers or just the consumers?
James

Yes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:39 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:
David,
Are you implying that the distributors could care less about their producers or just the consumers?
James

Yes.

D'oh
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:59 am

David M. Bueker wrote:James,

It's my understanding that ESJ's Michigan distributor just dropped them. Frankly, I had to email Steve last summer to find out who carried them in Michigan, and then contact the distributor to bring the wines into my department. Said distributor wasn't exactly "promoting" them.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :roll:
Nunquam Spuemus