Mark Lipton wrote:You reflexively swirl water glasses (which you're holding by the base).
This one is interesting. It obviously refers to wine geeks. However I've also noticed that people who are just beginning to get into wine or who only know a tiny bit about wine get a bit too overanxious to swirl the wine even if we're drinking dreck out of thick useless stems at some godawful non-wine friendly restaurant. I'm trying to choke the stuff down without grimacing and they think they 'should' swirl because it's wine.
Well, jeez, just don't go out to dinner with me!
I have found myself swirling water on one or two- oh, make it 800- occasions.
not a fill in the blank, but my definition of a wine geek comes from Bill Spohn (I'm 99% sure, there's 0.9% chance it was the other Bill who posts on AFW, and a 0.1% chance I totally forgot who it was). Out for a business dinner, on other person's expense account, they order some serious Bdx (like an '82 1st or Super Second). It comes, everything they want and more. Just outstanding Bordeaux. Fantastic, delicious. So good that when bottle is emptied, host orders another. Bill is appalled, any geek would want to try another wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That story spoke to me.