Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The perfect microwaved egg!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

The perfect microwaved egg!

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:54 pm

http://tokyomango.blogspot.com/2006/11/ ... d-egg.html

I have been unable to find a source for this device, but it is so beautiful I would love to own one as a type of urban sculpture, even if it doesn't work. As someone wrote on the site -- I can't figure out how the Japanese site works.

What do you folks think?

I do admire this comment:

So, insead of putting 3 eggs in a pan of water and boiling for 3 minutes on the stovetop to get a soft boiled egg, I would have to measure 130cc of water, place eggs in a tray, place the tray in the device, attach the cover, put it in the microwave oven, set the time for 8 minutes, and wait 5 minutes longer than if I had boiled the eggs on the stovetop. Am I missing something here? Since when is substituting a simple procedure that takes 3 minutes for one that takes 8 minutes plus assembly time logical? This is the dumbest new bit of unnecessary kitchen clutter gizmo since the crappy Presto Pizzazz rotating pizza baking thingy my step mother was giving out for xmas a few years ago, an equally inane and unnecessary device.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: The perfect microwaved egg!

by Howie Hart » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:32 am

I do eggs in the microwave. Not soft cooked, but two other ways. Scrambled - put eggs in a bowl, mix up with milk, cover the bowl with a lid or plate, cook for 1 minute, mix with a fork, cook 1 minute, mix, etc until most of the liquid has solidified, mix and let sit with cover for another minute or so.
Egg sandwich - put 1 egg in a small bowl with 1 tsp water and stir with a fork to break up the yoke. Cook for 30 seconds, fold over to allow liquid to the outside of the bowl. Cook another 30 seconds. Place on English muffin with a sausage patty and/or cheese. MW for 10 seconds to melt cheese.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:24 am

Bob Ross wrote:What do you folks think?

Bob, I clicked through as if I were going to order, but it wasn't clear enough to me to make a guesstimate of where to put what ... although it was tempting because the structure was so familiar. Here's the e-mail address of the place. Maybe you could write them in English and find out how to get one.

cook-pal@yoshikawa-group.co.jp
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:10 am

So, insead of putting 3 eggs in a pan of water and boiling for 3 minutes on the stovetop to get a soft boiled egg, I would have to measure 130cc of water, place eggs in a tray, place the tray in the device, attach the cover, put it in the microwave oven, set the time for 8 minutes, and wait 5 minutes longer than if I had boiled the eggs on the stovetop.

My late mother-in-law would understand this perfectly--anything that was NOT putting a pan on the stove was easier and time was immaterial.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:21 am

You know, Jenise, reason has re-asserted itself. I certainly don't need an egg poacher -- my multi-use All Clad does just fine!

A friend asked me once why I subscribed to "Consumer Reports" since I rarely bought anything, but spent so much time trying to find ways to do stuff with what I already owned.

It was an awfully good question -- my only excuse was that the engineers at CU always list the negatives of everything they test. Good reasons not to buy stuff, really.

The picture is pretty enough for my art collection. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:39 am

Here's one that cooks four at a time. Maybe only Cynthia will understand this, but I think it can be used to store nylons, too. :)

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/ ... N=50820992
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:52 am

Do L'Eggs still come in the egg?

Janet doesn't buy them anymore [except in desperation] but they seem to come in boxes these days.

A cop down the street has collected 500+ L'Egg eggs, and puts them on his lawn at Easter time.
Last edited by Bob Ross on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:19 pm

Jenise wrote:Here's one that cooks four at a time. Maybe only Cynthia will understand this, but I think it can be used to store nylons, too. :)

One can almost justify a nifty multi-use product like this.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:02 pm

One can almost justify a nifty multi-use product like this

I'm SO there. If only I liked eggs....
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:02 pm

I couldn't microwave an egg.

It would be sacrilege.