Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Good ole yellow mustard - a reliable classic or out-dated?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Good ole yellow mustard - a reliable classic or out-dated?

by Jeff B » Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Or perhaps both?

It dawned on me that I'm always seeing "fancy mustards" here and there (Dijon etc). They seem to be in fashion whereever you go, yet my favorite is always the good old fashioned "ball park" yellow (especially when it comes to, say, a hot dog). Just give me the sunshine in a bottle and I'm happy. No need to try and make it green or anything else...:)

Of course, I'm also the kind of guy who puts ketchup on a hot dog as well. ;)

It's true, times do change. But I'm sorry, I don't like green mustards...:)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: Good ole yellow mustard - a reliable classic or out-dated?

by Doug Surplus » Fri May 18, 2012 1:12 am

Yellow mustard on a hot dog, or pastrami, but Dijon on a lot of other foods.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 am

I probably go through more yellow mustard than anything else, but it's Weber's, with horseradish, made locally: http://www.webersmustard.com/
Another one I use when I'm in the mood is one I make in small quantities - mix Coleman's dry mustard powder with just enough beer to make it spreadable on a steamed hot dog.
Speaking of hot dogs, I recently discovered a small sausage shop that makes their own wieners and they are the best I've ever had, but a bit expensive: http://sparseuropeansausage.com/Fully-Cooked.php
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 am

Jeff B wrote:It dawned on me that I'm always seeing "fancy mustards" here and there (Dijon etc). They seem to be in fashion whereever you go, yet my favorite is always the good old fashioned "ball park" yellow

I'm curious why you call American yellow mustard 'old fashioned' when it's a 20th century creation compared to Dijon mustard that traces its roots to the 13th century. If anything, yellow American mustard is an iconic modern industrial creation. (Although of course the Dijon mustard that we know today is pretty similarly modern and industrial and apparently developed in its current form just a bit before the American yellow mustard)

I'm also curious why you consider Dijon to be "fancy". Is that because it actually tastes like mustard? Seems like a misuse of the term "fancy".
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri May 18, 2012 9:14 am

Rahsaan wrote:I'm curious why you call American yellow mustard 'old fashioned' when it's a 20th century creation compared to Dijon mustard that traces its roots to the 13th century....
My interpretation is that by "old fashioned" the reference is that when most of us were growing up, yellow mustard was the only mustard around and was considered a household staple, like ketchup and what one expected on a hot dog or burger in a ball park or roadside diner. Anything other than yellow was considered "fancy" and rare.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri May 18, 2012 9:39 am

We haven't had yellow mustard in the house for decades. Just got used to Dijon on everything either smooth or grainy. We put it on our hot dogs at home, tho when we eat them out at events catered by the Elks or similar group we eat the yellow with no problem. In the fridge at home is always a jar of Roland Extra Strong Dijon, which isn't extra strong, but very tasty at a very low price.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 18, 2012 10:36 am

Howie Hart wrote:My interpretation is that by "old fashioned" the reference is that when most of us were growing up, yellow mustard was the only mustard around and was considered a household staple, like ketchup and what one expected on a hot dog or burger in a ball park or roadside diner.

Well it still sounds fishy to me. A bit like claiming Columbus 'discovered' America. Sure, it's true in one extremely narrow sense. But it's also a very laughable claim.

Anyway, I'm of a slightly younger American generation so I never developed a taste for the yellow American mustard, except on pretzels from foodtrucks when I was in grade school and then again in college. But I haven't had any in almost 20 years and have not missed it.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 am

Rahsaan wrote:Well it still sounds fishy to me. A bit like claiming Columbus 'discovered' America. Sure, it's true in one extremely narrow sense. But it's also a very laughable claim...
I think we're having a semantics issue here. "Old fashioned" wrt yellow mustard is a phrase that refers to something that was in fashion in a previous era. Wrt Dijon, it could be considered "old fashioned" in the sense that it was something that was fashioned in older times. But to American culture, Dijon is relatively new. I was in my 20s before I ever heard of Dijon mustard.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am

I love the taste of baseball mustard and sometimes help myself to a spoonful, just like I do peanut butter. Like Doug, I love it on a pastrami--not the Jewish deli kind, which I prefer mustardless, but the burger drive-in kind of my California childhood. For most other things I have moved on to Dijon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 pm

On soft pretzels, only yellow mustard will do. For all else (sausages, mostly) it's either Dijon or grainy brown (and Dijon for cooking).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri May 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Spicy, grainy brown mustard here for most stuff although will go yellow or Dijon on occasion.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi Rahsaan,

Howie is correct in what I was trying to express - that, in my experience, yellow mustard had always been more common and present in everyday use.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Fri May 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Got the "Grey" stuff in the fridge all the time. And a squirt bottle of good ole French's. Usually reach for the Dijon, even on a dog.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat May 19, 2012 11:56 am

Rahsaan wrote:I'm also curious why you consider Dijon to be "fancy". Is that because it actually tastes like mustard? Seems like a misuse of the term "fancy".

Rahsaan you won't know about this, probably because 1) you are young and 2) you probably don't watch much TV, but there was an advertisement (1988) in which one Rolls Royce pulls up to another and the occupant asks "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon." Of course, like most Rolls Royces, there is a jar of Grey Poupon in the glove compartment so you see it being handed from one car to the other (gloved hands).

If Americans consider Dijon to be fancy -- well, it costs more, it's French, and the ad campaign tried mightily to give that impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pGT8Q_tjk
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Getting in on the fun, I'm okay with ball park mustard at the ball park, where it just seems right. :)

I do love me some gor-may mustards, though. I tend to pass on the Grey Poupon because it's faux - made in New Jersey in a Kraft General Foods factory not far from Newark Airport, I believe. Although that said, it actually is a fairly decent replication of the real French thing.

When I do want the real thing, Maille will do me just fine.

Zatarain's Cajun is an absolute favorite for just about any condiment use.

And we really mustn't overlook Gulden's Spicy Brown, which, sadly, is multinational - it's made by ag giant ConAgra - but it's nevertheless a better alternative (IMHO) for ballpark style.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Jeff B wrote:Hi Rahsaan,

Howie is correct in what I was trying to express - that, in my experience, yellow mustard had always been more common and present in everyday use.

Jeff

Certainly was the case when I was a child, but I think now Grey Poupon's actually more standard, at least in adult households where things don't have to be ultra tame for the sake of small kids.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Sierra Nevada Stout Brown Mustard
Guldens Brown Mustard
Wilda's Mustard....a locally made and wildly popular mustard made by a local colorful character with mustard grown on her property.
Grey Poupon Dijon
I also have a hot, sweet mustard in my refer which is great on Louisiana Hot link sandwiches with sauerkraut
Not a fan of French's Mustard...is that what you refer to as ballpark mustard?
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sat May 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Not a fan of French's Mustard...is that what you refer to as ballpark mustard?

Yes, that's the stuff I know and love. Although It doesn't have to be French's per se. But yellow is good yes. :D

Jeff
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 20, 2012 6:19 am

Frank Deis wrote:Rahsaan you won't know about this, probably because 1) you are young and 2) you probably don't watch much TV, but there was an advertisement (1988) in which one Rolls Royce pulls up to another and the occupant asks "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon." Of course, like most Rolls Royces, there is a jar of Grey Poupon in the glove compartment so you see it being handed from one car to the other (gloved hands).

If Americans consider Dijon to be fancy -- well, it costs more, it's French, and the ad campaign tried mightily to give that impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pGT8Q_tjk

I remember that commercial. I was 12 in 1988, and was definitely watching a lot of television at the time. Plus, I remember watching the mustard composition of the world around me change, although I never had the same intense attachment to the Yellow Mustard that other older folks may have.

Still, that was 1988. And as Robin says, there is no factual reason to claim that Dijon or Grey Poupon is 'fancy' in 2012.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun May 20, 2012 9:13 am

Right, Rahsaan, especially since Robin also pointed out that Grey Poupon is made in my back yard, which is quite a long way from France. But still, advertising has an effect, and GP did want to produce that image for its product. Sometimes it works. I remember a series of ads which I thought were disgusting -- a man drives his Cadillac into a gas station, and the attendant is thrilled to be allowed to touch the wonderful car. "Yes SIR! And I'll polish up your windshield too if you don't mind!" My guess is that never in the history of the world did anyone respond that way to the presence of a Cadillac. But they want the buyer to think that it's at least a possibility. And I think folks who buy Cadillacs really do think they are special, whereas people who know the most about cars (Mr. Spohn?) wouldn't be caught dead driving one... Seems parallel to me.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun May 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Not a fan of French's Mustard...is that what you refer to as ballpark mustard?

Yes, that's the stuff I know and love. Although It doesn't have to be French's per se. But yellow is good yes. :D

Jeff

Is it OK to observe that it doesn't actually taste of anything?
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun May 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Peter May wrote:
Jeff B wrote:

Jeff

Is it OK to observe that it doesn't actually taste of anything?

Sure, it's okay. I think it's the reason I prefer yellow mustards! :)

Jeff
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Peter May wrote:Is it OK to observe that it doesn't actually taste of anything?

Sure, it's okay. I think it's the reason I prefer yellow mustards! :)

Jeff

This is one of the reasons I find it strange to call Dijon 'fancy', when it's the yellow mustard that has been so manipulated (and past the point of mustard being an integral taste component) whereas Dijon is the 'simpler' basic mustard plant taste (although of course manipulated as well in its own way).
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon May 21, 2012 10:29 am

I like a lot of mustards, but I really like the simple yellow mustard you refer to. It's especially good IMO on a turkey sandwich.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
Next