Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Good ole yellow mustard - a reliable classic or out-dated?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Good ole yellow mustard - a reliable classic or out-dated?

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 21, 2012 4:05 pm

One amusing factoid is that most of the Dijon mustard made in France is made from mustard seed that the French import from Canada.

I, too, am fond of Zatarain's Cajun mustard.

I do buy French's mustard, for one purpose only--to make Inner Beauty hot sauce.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon May 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Opposite of fancy is surely Colmans English Mustard.

Small tin of yellow powder, only ingredients "Mustard Flour"

Take couple tea spoons of mustard, mix with equal quantity of cold water about 10 minutes before needed for flavours to develop.

Its a mustard you know you're eating !!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Peter May wrote:Opposite of fancy is surely Colmans English Mustard.

That's exported to the U.S. and is in wide use as an ingredient in recipes. Our version has an apostrophe in "Colman's", though. Perhaps that's modified for U.S. sales?

I always keep a can in the freezer (kept at 0F to deter the resurrection of micro-beasties in it). It's a fine ingredient in Indian dishes in particular, and yes, you can use it to make a condiment - cheap Chinese restaurants in the US used to do that, although nowadays they mostly offer it in factory-filled plastic tubes.

I can't say it would be my first, or even my 10th, choice as a table condiment, though. Not with the many superior American and French prepared mustards we've been discussing here.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 am

Some English friends of mine always have a dab of Colman's mustard with roast beef, and I've become very fond of that. And it's excellent with deep-fried spring rolls.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Wed May 23, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue May 22, 2012 2:33 pm

I bought a tin of Colman's specifically to use in rubs for "prime rib" roasts. Evidently it does have the apostrophe, and it lacks the letter "e". If you mix it directly with water, I'd say (as Robin did) that what you have made is Chinese mustard! That is the stuff that, when you get too much on your egg roll and then take a big bite, puts you into a few minutes of agony...

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Frank Deis wrote:...If you mix it directly with water, I'd say (as Robin did) that what you have made is Chinese mustard! ...
I've always mixed it with beer, as my mother taught me.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed May 23, 2012 7:28 pm

I also remember the Grey Poupon ad, and it had an impact on me. My family had mostly Midwestern tastes, so the only mustard we had was French's. Grey Poupon was, to my young teenaged palate, clearly better in both texture and flavor.

Now I jump between various brands of "fancy" mustard, lately the whole grain stuff from Trader Joe's. My absolute favorite is from a touristy place in the Mosel: http://www.senfmuehle.net/ The herbs used really make for a superior condiment. We brought back two pots and nursed them along as far as we could, using homeopathic quantities to make the precious supply last longer.

But I have to say, anything that doesn't come out of a dispenser counts as a fancy mustard. So basically yellow mustard and a couple other kinds you'll find at the ballpark are regular mustards, at least in my world.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 pm

POMMERY.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:49 am

by Shlomo R » Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 am

Howie Hart wrote:Another one I use when I'm in the mood is one I make in small quantities - mix Coleman's dry mustard powder with just enough beer to make it spreadable on a steamed hot dog.

Howie, I am going to have to try that - we keep a tin of Colman's powder in the house.

We keep several varieties on hand - Gulden's, sometimes some French's yellow, Colman's (prepared in small jars, in addition to the powder), Grey Poupon, we've tried some Boar's Head mustards (surprise, kosher certified), and my wife will buy honey mustard and other preparations. Gulden's, Grey Poupon, and Coleman's are the mainstays.
https://www.bike4chai.com/SolomonRosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again for the 5th time in 2016!
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Brown deli mustard and Dijon are my mustards of choice. My "old fashioned" yellow sat around for years so I threw it. About the only thing I used it for was in making "old fashioned" homemade BBQ sauce. Now I just sub one of the others.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 29, 2012 3:56 pm

I was in an airport over the weekend and they had a squeeze tube of French's Mustard on the table so I tried some. Man it was worse than I remember! :evil:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Yellow mustard never was any good, Rahsaan. The very least one can do is Gulden's Brown but, honestly, there are so many better condiments out there now....
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Wed May 30, 2012 3:05 am

I like yellow mustard for what it is...a little tangy and sunny looking. Happy to have it on a hot dog or a sandwich. I prefer brown and deli. Mustard, ut if yellow is only open I am ok.

When I was a kid I used to eat potato chips with yellow mustard....was quite good actually!!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed May 30, 2012 12:54 pm

The village in which we live (Trowse) was the home of Colmans, who built the original village (barring a handful of older buildings) for its workers.

There's a Colmans shop in Norwich, which has lots of mustard/mustard products as well as prints of old adverts, plus other branded stuff.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed May 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Ian, does the fact that you come from Trowse, mean I should think of you as a "Trowser"???

:D
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Frank
Yes, that's correct :D
regards
Ian

p.s. Technically I'm not from Trowse, nor even Norfolk, but I'm more than happy here now. It's said of Norfolk, that it takes a while for an outsider to be properly accepted into the community, but it's not all that long... just 2-3 generations :wink:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed May 30, 2012 5:50 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:It's said of Norfolk, that it takes a while for an outsider to be properly accepted into the community, but it's not all that long... just 2-3 generations :wink:

This sounds SO much like Vermont, where my wife is from. Just spending one lifetime there is not enough to make you a Vermonter...
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 am

Nor does being born there make you a Vermonter. There's an old New England saying about that: just because a cat crawls into the oven and has kittens, that doesn't make them muffins.

-Paul W.
Previous