The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I'm going to ask for some trouble

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: I'm going to ask for some trouble

by Peter May » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:38 pm

jameyer wrote:
Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for free wine software for the palm?

If you are looking for winetasting note taking software have a look at http://www.tastingbuddy.com
no avatar
User

Ellen T

Rank

Just got here

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:19 pm

Oregon

by Ellen T » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:54 pm

So buy a mixed case of stuff you can't pronounce and never heard of before and try them, over dinner, one bottle a night. Repeat.

I like that idea! :D
Time is a nonrenewable resource.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:30 pm

Not quite, Ellen. Read for information about what you've never heard of. For pronunciation, that's another issue...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 pm

My take on it, forget about the reviewers. If you want to read something, pick up a copy of <B><I>Adventures On The Wine Route</i></b> by Kermit Lynch. Read about some of the underappreciated French regions, and try some wines from those regions. Most of what he talks about in the book is delicious and inexpensive. Forget about points and enjoy!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:42 am

Florida Jim wrote:But, as sure as I am breathing, there is only one rule; drink what you like. Parker knows what he likes, Tanzer knows what he likes; they don't follow anybody else's taste, they follow their own.

Very well said, and so true. Nothing can supplant your own tastes and knowing what you like and what you dislike. I think the success of the big-name critics has been their ability to sell their opinions/tastes to others.

That said, it all comes back to charting your own vinous territory and knowing where the so-called sweet spots are. And, rest assured, just as people are diverse in this world, so are tastes in wine! :D
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
Previous