The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Orson Welles on selling wine before its time

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Orson Welles on selling wine before its time

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:07 am

A discussion on the Netscape Forum about old television wine commercials ("Chill a Cella" and "Little old wine maker, me") led inexorably to Orson Welles intoning "Paul Masson will sell no wine before its time."

This led in turn to a fishing expedition on YouTube, which turned up not only this clip showing the original Welles ad, plus an outtake that's both funny and pitiful, this film clip showing an obviously "over-served" Welles repeatedly screwing up a take of the commercial.

I thought these clips were too funny not to share on this forum, too, so here you are! :)
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

Re: Orson Welles on selling wine before its time

by DebA » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:02 pm

Oh my...I remember this commercial RG! The out takes are definitely more entertaining, although, they tend to diminish Mr. Welles' rather autocratic bearing. ;)
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:27 pm

I'm guessing Paul Masson indeed didn't sell wine before it's time, that time being the 1970's :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I'm guessing Paul Masson indeed didn't sell wine before it's time, that time being the 1970's :wink:

Ian, I remember visiting Harrod's in London in the early '80s and being bemused to find that Paul Masson was one of the few American wines readily available in Blighty. "What must they think of us," I wondered ...
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:48 pm

Thanks for the link, Robin -- hilarious. I'll beef up my essay on this advertisement thanks to you; here's the current version on WQ101:

The most memorable U.S. wine campaign ever was Orson Welles intoning, "We will sell no wine before its time," for the Paul Masson brand in the late seventies, and the image stuck: of wine as a special-occasion drink, which should be drunk in the right year, using the appropriate glasses, paired with the right food.
The Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition, November 17, 1997.

We sell no wine before its time.
Paul Masson, NBC TV, November 16, 1987, quoted in Simpson’s Contemporary Quotations, James B. Simpson, 1997.

We will drink no wine before it’s poured. Many sources.

Jason Brandt Lewis thinks that Orson Wells saying Paul Masson will sell no wine before its time -- when the wine takes 4 months to make -- is a just a crock of sediment.
Don Chapman, The Honolulu Advertiser, 1970s.

Robin Garr: Putting on Wellsian grumble: "Thursday was a most excellent vintage ... "

Napa Valley vintners (several): Orson Wells: “No wine before its time.” Banker: “It’s time, Paul.”

Tonight Show Johnny Carson and his Mighty Carson Art Players did a skit entitled "TV ads we'd like to see". One of them had Johnny, waist stuffed with pillows and cotton in his cheeks, as Orson Welles. He majestically declaims, "Here at Paul Masson, we will drink no wine before its time". Then there's a cut to a skid row alley where Carson, dressed as a skid row bum, glances at his watch, gleefully exclaims, "It's time!", unscrews the cap a bottle in a paper bag and proceeds to chug-a-lug the contents.
Paul Winalski, WLDG, 2001.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:I'm guessing Paul Masson indeed didn't sell wine before it's time, that time being the 1970's :wink:

Ian, I remember visiting Harrod's in London in the early '80s and being bemused to find that Paul Masson was one of the few American wines readily available in Blighty. "What must they think of us," I wondered ...

Robin
Don't worry, the competing wines were Blue Nun, Black Tower and Mateus Rose. Yum :mrgreen: those were the days! :roll:
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:30 pm

I did find the outtake amusing, but a bit sad too. Let's don't forget that Orson Welles is one of the few people in American cinema* who probably deserve to be considered a genius. Few things are as guaranteed to stop me flipping channels as running across "Touch of Evil," "The Magnificent Ambersons" (even butchered), or Kane. It's not just as a director either- Hank Quinlan or Harry Lime are extraordinarily well played. On the Youtube Masson commercials the "tasting party" one gives one just a hint of a glimpse of the younger Welles. A man of some personal failings, but who struggled pretty hard not to sell out for a long time. I'll cut him some slack for the ads.

* some would consider his stagings of Shakespeare in Haiti or the Mercury Theater stuff as genius of stage and radio, too, but I'm too young for WPA theater or more than a few recordings of the radio stuff.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:12 pm

Yes, Dale. I'm on your page about Orson. Hollywood's system kind of forced him into doing those commercials and magic tricks.

The other sad part of the story is what the Paul Masson Winery used to be, when Martin Ray owned it, and what it became in corporate hands.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Actually Paul Masson is useful these days. We use the bottles for decanters and our flowers love the wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:25 pm

To be honest, I think the outtake is fake. The head of Orson Welles does not fit the body it is on.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:45 pm

It's worth mentioning that "F is for Fake" is a wonderful Welles film. David may be right about more than Riesling. :)

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=288