Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bucket List Beef

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Bucket List Beef

by Jenise » Mon May 28, 2012 3:19 pm

And yes I cooked it, but that's not the point. It's because I used the most decadently flavorful cut imaginable from prime beef aged for something like 45 days that was overnighted to me by Bryan Flannery Meats.

It's called the prime rib cap. It's the outer ring on the prime rib; Bryan removes, rolls and ties it into a compact cylinder that produces a lovely round serving of the most decadent beef you've ever tasted--it's the best of the best of the best.

Here's the info from Bryan's website about it: http://www.bryansfinefoods.com/product.php?prod_id=132.

I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately, but if I had what you would see is a perfectly round one-inch thick cut of exquisitely rare (all red, no blue) beef that's lovely brown on the sage and black pepper crusted exterior and evenly rare from edge to edge within. (FWIW, the dish I served was a Southern re-interpretation of the classic prime rib/creamed spinach/yorkshire pudding dish with creamed collard greens, corn-meal crusted whole baby okra pods and a red eye gravy that was a lightly thickened 'jus' simmered with coffee beans).

Of course, this kind of incredibleness isn't free. A three pound piece was over $100, but I measured off eight inches for the eight servings I needed and added two more as shrinkage allowance, and still had a four-inch piece leftover that I froze for another memorable meal for just Bob and I at a later time. Shipping runs up your bill a bit more, of course, but do what I did: splurge on something else so that you spread the cost around. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Bucket List Beef

by GeoCWeyer » Tue May 29, 2012 3:02 pm

I have always thought that the rib lip right under the cap is the best tasting beef. When I order prime rib it is the part I most enjoy. I didn't know anyone sold it as a separate cut.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed May 30, 2012 7:09 pm

That is the part of the prime rib I enjoy the most, and can hardly wait to sit down and cut into it. Like Jenise said, it is the best of the best of the best! It absorbs the seasonings, butter tender....I'm salivating.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 pm

I believe it is also referred to as the deckle and it is the only part I like to eat hot. The rest of the slice I save for cold uses.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Thu May 31, 2012 12:07 am

Jenise, I think you started a run on the product. Bryans is out of stock. It does sound devine....
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 31, 2012 12:58 am

Ken Schechet wrote:Jenise, I think you started a run on the product. Bryans is out of stock. It does sound devine....

Ken, the website said that when I first looked too. But when I called Bryan, he was able to help me out. With a cut that unusual, it could well be a request-only--would be hard to get ahead if no one's asking for a ring-less rib eye. Like that would happen--try calling and asking Bryan himself. I've ordered from him twice now and placed each order direct with him.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu May 31, 2012 6:49 am

Definetly call Bryan if thinking of ordering anything. He has more than listed on the web site and will tell you what he can get if you are interested. I have only ordered a few times and yet he gave me his cell number so I can call him while he is at the fish market so he can talk me through what looks good that day. Not the type of service one can get from just anywhere. Also, just a darn nice guy.

Not sure how many rib caps he sells but based on Internet postings about it, more than a few.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 31, 2012 12:17 pm

I'll second this.

Flannery opts for cooking a tad more than I would, but Jenise did it perfectly. Overcooking beef like this would call for the unlimbering of the horse whip!

Had I known that there was a 4 oz. raw piece hiding in the fridge, it might not have made it through the night.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 31, 2012 12:31 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Flannery opts for cooking a tad more than I would, but Jenise did it perfectly. Overcooking beef like this would call for the unlimbering of the horse whip!

I don't even know what he reccomends, I just cooked it my way boneless rare beef (or lamb): pan sear the beef before guests arrive, let it rest until about 90 minutes before service. Roast at 300 F until thermometer reads 120 which will be about 45 minutes for a cut like this, remove, tent with foil, rest a minimum of 30 minutes. The result will be beautifully cooked meat that's a bright rosy uniform rare from edge to edge. You fans of high temperature meat roasting will never get results as good, as tender, as uniform and as free from risk of overcooking as this.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Jenise- this is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title of the thread, and I have yet to have a rib cap from Bryan, but I've heard so much about it from friends.

I've been a customer of Bryan Flannery for about 6 years, and when we visit our son in Berkeley, we make the drive to Marin to pick up steaks.
Diane
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:10 pm

To use an old raing system I rate this cut as a Triple Yum+. :D