Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you have a favorite cocktail?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Do you have a favorite cocktail?

by David Creighton » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:47 pm

i have a friend who loves a Lord Suffolk - can't remember what is in it but it really is fine.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:31 pm

David Creighton wrote:i have a friend who loves a Lord Suffolk - can't remember what is in it but it really is fine.

Looks like it's made with 1-1/4 gin to 1/8 each of cointreau, sweet vermouth, and maraschino. Sounds delicious - I may have to try one when I get home tonight.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
wnissen wrote:... the Dirty Girl Scout ....

OK, I had to go look that one up.

I don't quite make it that way, I skip the vodka and use a smaller amount of peppermint schnapps than the white creme de menthe called for. I strongly prefer the mint flavor from schnapps, for whatever reason.

I realized that I also like pinas coladas, though I don't find they are really helped by the rum. For you coconut drink fans, I recently found coconut cream in a squeeze bottle, making it easy to produce a single serving instead of letting the rest go bad in the can! I also love real egg nog. And a kir, or kir royale. There really are few cocktails that I don't like.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Like many of you I am a novice when it comes to cocktails. I do enjoy margaritas and my current preference is a French 75, though I drink it with cognac rather than gin: cognac, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup shaken over ice and topped with sparkling wine, finished with a twist of lemon.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:02 am

Susan B wrote:Like many of you I am a novice when it comes to cocktails. I do enjoy margaritas and my current preference is a French 75, though I drink it with cognac rather than gin: cognac, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup shaken over ice and topped with sparkling wine, finished with a twist of lemon.

Susan, the original French 75 was made with Cognac, so you're being true to the origins of the cocktail.

Ever try a Sidecar? Cognac, with Triple Sec (should be either Cointreau, Combier, or Pierre Ferrand if you can find it; others won't be as good and will be way sweeter), and a little lemon juice. The classic Sidecar either has a sugared rim, or sometimes a cinnamon-sugar rim...but I prefer mine without the sugar.

And since we're on Cognac, try playing around with cognac and ginger. Not just ginger ale---although that's good---but add a couple of slices of fresh ginger? The combination is absolutely incredible. (You could even spice up your French 75 with that ginger!)
Previous