Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Trader Joe's coming to Salt Lake!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Trader Joe's coming to Salt Lake!

by Jim Cassidy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Just saw a Facebook post saying TJs will open in Salt Lake before the end of the year!

It looks like they will be in a former Whole Foods location.

We did not think they could make a go of a business model without wine and spirits. :D
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Trader Joe's coming to Salt Lake!

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Definitely a good addition to the community, Jim!

I believe there are other areas where their stores don't sell alcohol, so they should do fine in SLC.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 pm

We got one here last year, Jim. It's okay, but I find I don't go much for food. I have local favorites that provide similar only different stuff, and I'd rather support the locals. I can't stay away from TJ's wine shop, though. It's small, but I always find some amazing QPR goodies.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 am

We have a relatively new -- and small -- TJ's in my neighborhood. No alcohol of any kind. They do a land office business from dawn to dusk, every day.

They carry certain bulk things in good quality and good prices, particularly walnuts and wild rice. I also like their organic chicken. If I get anything else there it's just an opportunity shop.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:28 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote: relatively new -- and small -- TJ's

As I understand it, that is their model. Always small, always in a re-used facility. No mega-market for Trader Joe! I'm with you on the "opportunity shop" thing, though, Jeff. It's always fun to browse, and I always come out with something, but it's not a place where I'd take a shopping list for pantry staples.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:48 am

A key part of their success is to limit the number of SKUs they sell. They have a house brand for almost everything but they do sell a few other labels.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Took me awhile to warm up to TJs, but there are definitely some items I make a special trip for...

Dark chocolate coved almonds with sea salt and turbinado sugar
Dark chocolate covered pretzels. The best.
Sicilian EVOO
Their varied nuts and snack mixes (great for bridge night)
Canned clams (from Maine) the best I've ever found. Great for linguine and clam sauce a frequent dish in our house.
Various sparlking waters and sodas.

Enjoy your new TJs, Jim!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm

I understand we have one coming to southern New Hampshire too.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm

We get most of our groceries from TJs now, with most of our meat from Costco. Whole Foods and locavore location are all too far away to make the trip worth it. I do wish Whole Foods was close, for their produce section as I can find stuff their that most places don't sell. On the other hand, some of TJ's small packaging of produce works well for us as we don't end up with stuff going bad before we use it.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Took me awhile to warm up to TJs, but there are definitely some items I make a special trip for...

Dark chocolate coved almonds with sea salt and turbinado sugar
Dark chocolate covered pretzels. The best.
Sicilian EVOO
Their varied nuts and snack mixes (great for bridge night)
Canned clams (from Maine) the best I've ever found. Great for linguine and clam sauce a frequent dish in our house.
Various sparlking waters and sodas.

Enjoy your new TJs, Jim!

Carrie, do you have a recipe that you favor for the clams and linguine? A local Italian restaurant here makes a great version. I crave it now and then and would love to have one I know is tried and true to use at home.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Carrie, do you have a recipe that you favor for the clams and linguine? A local Italian restaurant here makes a great version. I crave it now and then and would love to have one I know is tried and true to use at home.

Hi Karen, I don't really follow a recipe, just sort of made it up over time to suit our tastes. I just googled recipes to see what came closest to mine and it seems to be Rachel Rays! Go figure.
However, I do not use anchovies, or thyme. I do use more than one can of clams per pound of pasta. Probably more like three or four. I use the clam juice (not chicken stock) and I do love a lot of parsley in it. Occasionally I will add clams in the shell (along with the chopped) but this is over-rated IMO other than from an asthetic perspective.
See how this sounds to you...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/linguini-with-white-clam-sauce-recipe/index.html
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks Carrie, it sounds great to me and with many of the ingredients I love. I agree about the anchovies. By the way, I have tried several of Rach's recipes and I must admit, that gal knows how to make lots of flavor happen.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Thanks Carrie, it sounds great to me and with many of the ingredients I love. I agree about the anchovies. By the way, I have tried several of Rach's recipes and I must admit, that gal knows how to make lots of flavor happen.

Incidentally Karen, you inspired me from a post long ago, to buy a "Fasta Pasta" (microwave pasta cooker) for our RV. It just arrived and I can't wait to try it when we head to New England in July. I'll let you know how it works! The reviews on Amazon are great.