Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Upside Down / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:06 am

bsd
Although there are those who naturaly have a superior sense of direction, for the multitudes there is a keen appreciation for the invention of GPS.Really makes a lot of the getting there alot easier.And then there are those moments of panic when the message frighteningly declares "lost satelite reception".
But eventualy either it comes back on or we stop and actualy ask directions the old fashioned way. Basicaly we are almost always coming and going and sometimes resting in between.Always found it amusing how much is invested in amusement parks where people spend time and money to be turned round and round and upside down;while in actuality it's happening all the time.Just a question of which direction were heading.
Have a good one; h
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

Re: Upside Down / WeeksEnd wine

by Joshua London » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Harry,

I apologize in advance for this needless indulgence, and for any offense taken by the philosophers amongst us, but your thoughts for this week reminds me of a moment in the Evelyn Waugh comedic novel "Decline and Fall," in which one character, Professor Silenus, chances into this exchange with the protagonist, Paul Pennyfeather:

‘People get ideas about a thing they call life. It sets them all wrong. I think it’s poets that are responsible chiefly. Shall I tell you about life?’

‘Yes, do,’ said Paul politely.

‘Well, it’s like the big wheel at Luna Park. Have you seen the big wheel?’

‘No, I’m afraid not.’

‘You pay five francs and go into a room with tiers of seats all round, and in the centre the floor is made of a great disc of polished wood that revolves quickly. At first you sit down and watch the others. They are all trying to sit in the wheel, and they keep getting flung off, and that makes them laugh, and you laugh too. It’s great fun.’

‘I don’t think that sounds very much like life,’ said Paul rather sadly.

‘Oh, but it is, though. You see, the nearer you can get to the hub of the wheel the slower it is moving and the easier it is to stay on. There’s generally someone in the centre who stands up and sometimes does a sort of dance. Often he’s paid by the management, though, or, at any rate, he’s allowed in free. Of course at the very centre there’s a point completely at rest, if one could only find it: I’m not sure I am not very near that point myself. Of course the professional men get in the way. Lots of people just enjoy scrambling on and being whisked off and scrambling on again. How they all shriek and giggle! Then there are others, like Margot, who sit as far out as they can and hold on for dear life and enjoy that. But the whole point about the wheel is that you needn’t get on it at all, if you don’t want to. People get hold of ideas about life, and that makes them think they’ve got to join in the game, even if they don’t enjoy it. It doesn’t suit everyone.
‘People don’t see that when they say “life” they mean two different things. They can mean simply existence, with its physiological implications of growth and organic change. They can’t escape that - even by death, but because that’s inevitable they think the other idea of life is too - the scrambling and excitement and bumps and the effort to get to the middle, and when we do get to the middle, it’s just as if we never started. It’s so odd.

A few seconds later, remembering why he actually entered the room, Silenus remarks: ‘I know of no more utterly boring and futile occupation than generalising about life."

As you said, what's more important is the direction we are going in life and the enjoyment we derive from it. Presently, I intend to make kiddush tonight on a well chilled bottle of the Golan Moscato. After that, I've planned nothing yet...

Have a good one,
Josh
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:17 pm

I plan on drinking the Dalton Alma 2007 tonight (pairing with Steak Tartare, Pollo al Mattone, and Home-Cured Corned Beef). For dessert, I will also probably have some more of the Zion Mihamartef, which seems to be holding up well so far, now open since Shavuos. Shabbos day - Sterkens Dubbel and Thomas Hooker Liberator Dopplebock.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:39 pm

I plan to open 2007 David Bruce Sonoma Coast pinot noir and probably 2005 Schloss Schonborn 2005 Johannisberger Klaus kabinett
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:56 pm

2009 Shirah Thompson Vyd and 2007 Four Gates Merlot, for the wife's b-day!
no avatar
User

Isi M

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 am

Israel

by Isi M » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:09 am

Last bottle of 2001 Poujeaux : nice, simple, enjoyable.
Drunk a bit cooler than usual.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov!

Changed my plans again as we had guests who brought over some decent plonk.

Friday night:

Domaine Ventura, Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: Showing even better than the last time I had it 2 weeks ago, my guests that were French wine snobs and non-kosher drinkers (extremely wine-knowledgeable, the conversation was very interesting) were very impressed.

Lueria, Rosso 2008: While I usually like this Italian style israeli-made blend (Sangiovese/Barbera) a lot, I must admit that it tasted a little bit off after the Ventura.
A blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Sangiovese and 20% Barbera, 18 months in French oak barrels. Deep garnet with purple reflections, medium to full-bodied with on the nose first a nice bouquet of ripe raspberries and violets, on the palate again raspberries and sour cherries with some earthy minerals and nice bracing acidity, nice integrating tannins on the long finish. Polished.

Shabbat Lunch:

It was very hot here in Jerusalem today so I postponed the great wine I had originally planned to the next week hopefully and enjoyed instead a well-chilled and still perfectly alive (believe it or not) bottle of Binyamina Teva Moscato 2008.

Best, wishing you all a beautiful week,

GG
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Well, Gabriel, it's very optimistic of you to believe the weather will actually grow cooler.

We had the Vitteaut-Alberti, Cremant de Bourgogne, Blanc de Blancs, n.v. on Friday, which is a pleasant bubbly that's a good distraction and novelty. And today, the Muga, Rioja Reserva, 2005. I loved the 2001 and had great hopes for the 2005, which turned out to be rather unwarranted, it's nice and tasty but didn't convey the feeling of being a mini Gran Reserva that the 2001 had.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:21 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:Well, Gabriel, it's very optimistic of you to believe the weather will actually grow cooler.

:lol: I tend to be very optimistic in general, but not that much! I meant that the wine will be reserved for Friday night, the lunch' wine will be selected upon the participants' motivation...
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Yarden Sauvignon Blanc 2011 which went perfectly with Kohlrabi stuffed with ground turkey and rice in a white sauce.
Shabbat lunch - Eden Wild Rose 2010 - totally different from our previous tastings. This time dry, no fruits at all and not even a hint of any sweetness at the end.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Z Spigelman wrote:Shabbat lunch - Eden Wild Rose 2010 - totally different from our previous tastings. This time dry, no fruits at all and not even a hint of any sweetness at the end.

Sorry about that Zvi... had it about 6-7 weeks ago and was still drinking quite nicely then. As the Netofa Rosé of the same vintage is also gone now seems like it's time to stick with the '11 for rosés as those wines seem to have the shortest life, distinctly shorter than unoaked whites apparently. That said, on the other hand I'm confident the Castel will hang on longer than its peers.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi, Harry, shvu'a tov,

As the Netofa Rosé of the same vintage is also gone now seems like it's time to stick with the '11 for rosés as those wines seem to have the shortest life

amazing.

This shabbat:
2010 Elvi Mati Rioja.
2010 Recanati Rose
2009 Shilo, Shor, Barbera

I had the barbera in Israel this past February and it was delicious. But this time, as good as it was, something was missing. It was tasty alright, but the fruit seemed exaggerated, the tanins downright sweet, and, what should be, some bracing acidity almost completely lacking. Anybody else have a similar experience?

A good week to all,

Isaac

Added later: A guest brought me a bottle of Les Jamelles, Essentiel, Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, Pays d'Oc. Did anyone here drink/review it? Thanks.
Last edited by Isaac Chavel on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Adam N

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

by Adam N » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:56 am

Harry / Forum,

I need to point out some facts before you read the following comments.
I love Shiloh Wine and do consulting work for them re: exports to the U.S.
That being said, I do want to share some honest opinions on a wine Shiloh Winery makes.
I had fully intended on having a Shiloh Res Cab 2008 for Friday night dinner. About 2 hours before Shabbat, I changed my mind and decided to treat myself, in honor of the Shabbat, to the Shiloh Mosaic 2006. After letting it breath for about 2 hours, (I used one of those pourer /aerators as well) I gotta say, that wine was great! The tanins are finally maturing, with full flavored, deep fruit, and layers of pleasant texture. The hints of toasted oak accompanied by notes of coffee, and cacao resulted in interesting complexity with a definitive hint of citrus on the finish. While the El Rom 2008 is still a favorite, this one came real close. Only downside is finding 2006. I only have 2 bottles left in the store.

My 2 cents,
Adam N
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:26 am

The Shiloh Mosaic '06 is indeed a wine that leaves no one indifferent. I've been told by many they were very disappointed but some did enjoy it. To be honest I've not yet tasted it myself. But Adam your note here is very valuable as I guess the wine has finally reached its potential so I'll try to sell a bottle to taste it with a customer soon (this coming Shabbat is a good opportunity in fact). 2006 has been an excellent vintage for some wineries in Israel such as Yarden (Rom, Syrah, Merlot Odem), Binyamina (the premium series, Reserve, Avnei Hachoshen, Cave), Recanati (Cab Franc Reserve). My first encounter with Shiloh was a disappointment (2008) for several reasons. I then avoided their wines afterwards till I met Amichai Luriah at Israwinexpo in last February and tasted the wines presented at their booth. It was a great surprise and I now think their wines are for the most very good to excellent, my favorite being presently the Sod Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon '09 and Legend '09.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Harry,

Galil Mountain Avivim 2008 - Like last week's Dalton Alma, this is also a Viognier dominant blend with Chardonnay the other component, but in this case the ratio is 3 to 1. The wine has Viognier's trademark waxy texture, but not its aromatics. Its character is shaped by its high alcohol content and the nine months it spent in oak, resulting in a mouth redolent in spiced lychee, vanilla and caramel. The contrast with Dalton's Alma are quite striking, starting with their respective appearance. The Avivim is a deep burnished gold, whereas the Alma is a fresh yellow with green reflections. On the palate, the Avivim flaunts it oak influence and the nuances it imparts, while the Alma sports a floral freshness, and the alcohol's spiciness in the Avivim coming in place of almond bitterness in the Alma. I clearly favor the Alma. 15% AbV and about $22 at James Richardson duty free shop in Ben Gurion airport. C/**

Recanati Petit Syrah/Zinfandel 2010 - With a color almost as deep a royal purple as that of its Dalton counterpart, I was fooled into expecting a wine as good. The wine opens to showcase nice tart mouth drying tannins, but that doesn't hold on for long. The fruit is overripe, resulting in a flavor profile of fig and date, and a flatness caused by its lack of acidity. This is not made in my style. 13.5% AbV, and $28 at the James Richardson duty free shop in Ben Gurion airport. C-/*

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Last edited by Pinchas L on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Pinchas, maybe you can add a signature with a link to your post explaining your new ratings system.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Well...

Taking care of the home this week and making Shabbos so my wife could CHILL OUT.

Opened a special bottle

2007 Carmel Mediterranean

Smokey Herbaceous dark berries, Full body but not a BROODER.
Spice is very present early in its life and the second day was over the top better (Not as acidic or spicy and more balanced). No heavy gripping tannins and yet still coated nice with the fruit. A food wine for us here and love be with you. Had fun with it for sure and will I hope in-joy another some time.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Recanati Petit Syrah Zinfandel 2006 Last one. Still loaded with black fruit tannins and a deep purple color.
Ella Vinyards choice Syrah 2007 Jammy and spicy all at once
Shiloh Shor Barbera 2007 Easy drinking Mediterranean perfect fort the summer wine

Best,
Stacey
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:27 pm

2009 Besomim Cuvee Chabad- an absolutely delightful field blend. INKY!! Delicious. Without question the highest quality kosher field blend I can recall.

2009 Four Gates Syrah- beautiful perfumed nose, doesn't disappoint on the palate. I can't remember a better top to bottom release of Four Gates than the most recent.
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Friday night - Flam 2010 Classico
Saturday - Binyamina 2005 Reserve Cabernet

The Binyamina was very good, well-balanced, and my guess [help me out!] is that further aging is probably superfluous and the rest of the case ought to fall into the "drink now" category. The only problem with it was that it paled in comparison to the Flam, which was absolutely delicious. I picked up my first case of the stuff Friday afternoon and just couldn't wait to break it open, and it did not disappoint. Beautiful nose, full mouth, youthful red fruit with undertone of blood orange. Loved it!
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 am

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:19 am

My new rating system...

2003 Chateau Haut Condissas Prestige :D
2005 Chateau Quinault :D
2007 Carmel Limited Edition :)
2009 Latour Netofa :?

Enjoy,
Jon
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 am

hi; revisited the dalton shiraz 2009.this time wasn't as interesting.maybe an off bottle,maybe the wines getting tired.Also golan cab 2009; still kicking.h
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:27 am

Jon Tabak wrote:My new rating system...

2003 Chateau Haut Condissas Prestige :D
2005 Chateau Quinault :D
2007 Carmel Limited Edition :)
2009 Latour Netofa :?

Enjoy,
Jon

I have six bottles of the Chateau Quinault which I bought not quite a year ago. Haven't opened one yet. Is now the time, or is further aging advisable?
User

Jeff Adler

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

by Jeff Adler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Friday Night - recanati 2010 Shiraz - paired with a spicy rotisserie roast and spicy chicken.

Shabbat Lunch - Shiloh Chardonnay 2009 - Lighter fare with turkey breast and salads.

Cheers

Jeff
Next