Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Resting meat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Resting meat

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 pm

I'd love to have everyone's opinion on this.
Everytime I read an article about searing or grilling steaks, it says to rest them for 10 minutes so the juices reabsorb, yada yada.
When I do this, even lightly tented with foil, the steaks are no longer very hot when I serve them.
Len likes his steaks HOT. Period. And, when I think about it, high-end chop houses always serve their steaks piping hot, some even on a sizzling platter.
Also, when I think about the reason that we rest the steak (so the juice doesn't run out), I feel like, well, okay, it's on my plate so it's okay if the juice runs out because I will dredge each piece of meat through the juice before I put it in my mouth.
What are your thoughts here?

Obviously, I feel differently about roasts, since they take much longer to cool off. Non-issue.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Resting meat

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Lately, I let steaks rest. However, I'm not persuaded that it's more important than Len's preference for hot food.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:02 pm

I don't let steaks rest, but I do let roasts rest.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 pm

We always rest our steaks: I prefer the juice--and the color!!!--to stay in the meat, evenly saturated. That I nearly always serve a first course salad provides the natural gap on timing: steaks go into the warming drawer, we sit down for our salad. And yes, high end steak houses usually serve steaks on a sizzling platter, but they're also serving extensively dry-aged beef that has lost the majority of moisture we're trying to deal with--or not--in the beef we get from conventional sources.

But I agree with Jeff: if Len prefers it blazing hot, Len should have it blazing hot.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 pm

I usually let steaks rest in a foil tent, but because I don't like lukewarm steak, I usually keep the rest time to ~ 5 minutes. I recently found a source of reasonably priced dry aged ribeyes and I have let them rest, but as Jenise points out that may be redundant.
Roasts always get a rest period.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:42 pm

What if you cook to almost done THEN do the sear which I think is the best way to cook a steak, no thanks to conventional wisdom. May need less of a rest time and with the high heat at the end might maintain a higher temp.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 am

Jenise wrote:We always rest our steaks....steaks go into the warming drawer....

I thinks Jenise's warming drawer is the key to resting without cooling. We use ours in the same fashion.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:44 am

Jon Peterson wrote:

I thinks Jenise's warming drawer is the key to resting without cooling. We use ours in the same fashion.

I had thought of that, but it seemed to me that would keep them cooking a little more and wouldn't actually "count" as resting. Jenise, does it cook the steaks further? Do you take them off a little shy of how you want them done?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:14 am

When the steaks come off the grill, Gene tents with foil. They only rest for 3 to 4 minutes which gives me time to finish last second stuff. They are always juicy and hot.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote:

I had thought of that, but it seemed to me that would keep them cooking a little more and wouldn't actually "count" as resting. Jenise, does it cook the steaks further? Do you take them off a little shy of how you want them done?

No, the drawer's on a low setting and the steak is elevated on a rack--I don't want it sitting on a hot surface, just resting in a warm environment. I don't think my method will keep it as hot as Len probably wants it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:29 pm

i guess i'm of two minds on this subject. the 'juices' people talk about are almost entirely bloody water. the only important 'juice' is the fat and that just doesn't come out except under fairly high heat - not usually on the plate. resting may allow the meat to finish cooking; but i really doubt any other magic is happening.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:43 am

David Creighton wrote:i guess i'm of two minds on this subject. the 'juices' people talk about are almost entirely bloody water. the only important 'juice' is the fat and that just doesn't come out except under fairly high heat - not usually on the plate. resting may allow the meat to finish cooking; but i really doubt any other magic is happening.

You don't find that in resting, the meat reabsorbs those juices where if it's cut into unrested, it drains out on the plate?
no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

by Harry Cantrell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:39 pm

America's Test Kitchen recently addressed this issue and they changed their tune about steaks-5 minutes to rest.
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 am

Harry Cantrell wrote:America's Test Kitchen recently addressed this issue and they changed their tune about steaks-5 minutes to rest.

To what degree? An episode I watched a few weeks ago I'm sure reccomended five minutes--that is, I recall mentally disagreeing, because I think ten is better.
no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

by Harry Cantrell » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 am

Jen. I believe they changed it for steaks only. I feel 10 minutes does allow the steak to cool too much.
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 pm

I hate letting my meat loaf. I stand over it counting 'a thousand and one, a thousand and two...' and I never manage to wait 5 minutes.

It is a combination of not wanting to have cool meat and not wanting it to continue to cook - anxiety that it was probably perfect rare when I took it off but will become medium rare or worse if I leave it sitting there any longer.

Ah, the angst of the carnivore.....

For the same reason we have modified our Friday night steak procedure. While I still BBQ the meat (it is well known that only men can BBQ, right?) I no longer take the two pieces off when mine is perfectly done, I leave hers on so that she can remove it when it is about medium and to her liking. I feel that the frequent charcoaling of her meat from negligence and lack of attention is not within my purview as my responsibility ends when I pass the tongs to the next 'runner'. Unaccountably, there are occasions when even though I have clearly passed the tongs, it is somehow seen as my fault when someone else (SWMBO) manages to create charcoal 10 minutes later. It does pass all logical explanation.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I hate letting my meat loaf. I stand over it counting 'a thousand and one, a thousand and two...' and I never manage to wait 5 minutes.

It is a combination of not wanting to have cool meat and not wanting it to continue to cook - anxiety that it was probably perfect rare when I took it off but will become medium rare or worse if I leave it sitting there any longer.

Ah, the angst of the carnivore.....

For the same reason we have modified our Friday night steak procedure. While I still BBQ the meat (it is well known that only men can BBQ, right?) I no longer take the two pieces off when mine is perfectly done, I leave hers on so that she can remove it when it is about medium and to her liking. I feel that the frequent charcoaling of her meat from negligence and lack of attention is not within my purview as my responsibility ends when I pass the tongs to the next 'runner'. Unaccountably, there are occasions when even though I have clearly passed the tongs, it is somehow seen as my fault when someone else (SWMBO) manages to create charcoal 10 minutes later. It does pass all logical explanation.

Patience is not your virtue where food is concerned. Now, remember back to that pefectly cooked prime rib cap? Care to guess how long that rested?

As to your Friday night steak procedure, we've already discussed where Bob would find my steak if he did that to me. :) Fortunately, we agree on doneness, but when guests want more doneness we just start some meat a few minutes earlier and pull it all at the same time. We tend to like to eat together. :)

As for coolness, who said it has to cool down? There are things you can do to prevent it going cold.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm

We don't have a warming drawer, and tenting with foil seems to promote continued cooking.

I know that your method works, and works well, from first hand experience though!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:We don't have a warming drawer, and tenting with foil seems to promote continued cooking.

I know that your method works, and works well, from first hand experience though!

I'll ask the question again: how long do you think that meat rested?
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Jenise wrote:We always rest our steaks: I prefer the juice--and the color!!!--to stay in the meat, evenly saturated. That I nearly always serve a first course salad provides the natural gap on timing: steaks go into the warming drawer, we sit down for our salad. And yes, high end steak houses usually serve steaks on a sizzling platter, but they're also serving extensively dry-aged beef that has lost the majority of moisture we're trying to deal with--or not--in the beef we get from conventional sources.

But I agree with Jeff: if Len prefers it blazing hot, Len should have it blazing hot.

Jenise, we don't get any juice in a rare steak whether we let it rest or not, so if the steak is rare is the question moot?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 am

Just made filets last night for three of us. All were cooked on the grill to medium-rare. Rested them (uncovered) only for the amount of time it took everyone to refill their beverages, and for me to toss and plate the salad (3-4 minutes). A good bit of juice had accumulated on the platter (no cutting was involved). They were perfect when they got to our individual plates. Didn't "bleed out" and the meat was juicy and tender (as a filet could be). The steaks were about 3 1/2 inches thick.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:We don't have a warming drawer, and tenting with foil seems to promote continued cooking.

Okay, so you won't play. That was a two-pound long, cynlinder of meat, roughly 3" x 3". It rested for 45 minutes.

Do you remember how incredible vibrant the color was? If I had cut it immediately out of the oven, that color would not have been nearly as bright. The meat was incredibly moist and tender but there wasn't a drop of juice in sight. It had completely reabsorbed into the meat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Covert wrote:
Jenise, we don't get any juice in a rare steak whether we let it rest or not, so if the steak is rare is the question moot?

No, not at all. All we're really talking about it rare steak. It's well done when the question's moot.